Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministers pay cut what a joke

Options
  • 10-03-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Not even a 10% cut what a joke.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0310/breaking9.html

Last night, at its first Cabinet meeting at Áras an Uachtaráin last night, the new Government decided to cut the pay of senior politicians. The Taoiseach’s salary is being reduced by €14,000 from €214,000 to €200,000, the Tanaiste’s salary has been cut by €13,000 to €184,000. Ministers salaries have been cut by €12,000 to €169,000 and junior ministers have been cut by €9,000 to €130,000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

No it isn't. In fact it's nearly half that

you're lucky i didn't quote you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

its a good start and somewhat heartening to see the new govt do this first and foremost, Leo Veradkar made the point on newstalk this morning that no-one employed by the state should be earning more than 200k.

with regards cutting the fat in the govt, Civil & public service, it would be nice to see the top earners ie the judges, doctors, county managers, heads of state bodies, secretary generals of depts be targetted first and foremost with cuts by the new government (and no sh1te talk from the attorney general that we cant cut the judges salaries)

if the govt start at the top and work their way through those earning over 100k it will be a good start plus reform their pension entitlements to ensure a state pension can no longer exceed 50k plus get rid of all the pointless quangos then we will be taking a small step in the right direction.

if we look after the pennies the pounds will take care of themselves, if the front line service providers see that the fat cats are being targetted firstly them maybe the govt may find it a bit easier to target inefficiencies elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭GSF

The only people prepared to run the country for minimum wage seem to Ming, Boyd Barrett and the Shinners.

Thanks but no thanks.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

another 50% and we'll be getting somewhere :D

but in all seriousness it is a welcome step, I still believe they are overpaid (and certainly not attracting better people for the money) but the main thing that still needs to be brought in is a fully vouched expenses system with very strict rules on what's allowed and what's not. That and restrictions on all the advisors and consultants and report generators that hang on to all the ministers which get little media attention. Any minister should be competent enough in their department to make these calls without having to get consultants to publish reports and recommendations every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Might boost morale of the public. Consultants wages need to be revisited far in excess of what other countries give their finest and brightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I agree with Leo on the €200,000 max public wage. It makes the days of bertie awarding himself a €32,000 payrise seem almost criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

bamboozle wrote: »
    its a good start and somewhat heartening to see the new govt do this first and foremost, ........

Yes, it's a start, it's an improvment but I'm afraid it doesn't go anywhere near far enough. And one of my biggest worries is that I will be repeating this phrase over and over the next 5 years.

The new Government have plenty of goodwill and could have set down a proper marker by awarding themselves 25% pay cuts, something meaningful that would send a message to the civil, public and private service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

a good start would the HALVING their salaries. nobody deserves to make 200,000 per year. taking a 14,000 pay cut from 214,000 is nothing.

radical change my a*se.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

andy81_wex wrote: »
    Not even a 10% cut what a joke.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0310/breaking9.html

Last night, at its first Cabinet meeting at Áras an Uachtaráin last night, the new Government decided to cut the pay of senior politicians. The Taoiseach’s salary is being reduced by €14,000 from €214,000 to €200,000, the Tanaiste’s salary has been cut by €13,000 to €184,000. Ministers salaries have been cut by €12,000 to €169,000 and junior ministers have been cut by €9,000 to €130,000.

Better than the previous crowd, who would probably have given themselves a 10% INcrease.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

sollar wrote: »
    I agree with Leo on the €200,000 max public wage. It makes the days of bertie awarding himself a €32,000 payrise seem almost criminal.

The average industrial wage is around €34,000.
    €100,000 should be the maximum a Taoiseach (the top public servant) should get and everyone else in the public service should be reduced accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Better than the previous crowd, who would probably have given themselves a 10% INcrease.

Instead of trying to compare themselves to the previous crowd and saying "we're a little bit better then them" this Government should be trying to set new standards, something that they have failed to do here imo. It's disappointing to say the least.

Why should we compare them to the last crowd of no hopers, why don't we compare them to what goes on in other countries or set our own (much higher) standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I completely agree with cutting judges salaries and all the other superfluous heads of state entities, but to lump doctors into that group isn't right I don't think. Why should we cut the salaries of people who put so much into their profession just because they earn better wages than us? They provide a, if not the most, important service imaginable and to cut their wages does not seem just. Perhaps a performance evaluation system of some sort to sort out those who truly deserve such pay, but certainly not by slashing doctors wages across the board will our country get up and running any faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I completely agree with cutting judges salaries and all the other superfluous heads of state entities, but to lump doctors into that group isn't right I don't think. Why should we cut the salaries of people who put so much into their profession just because they earn better wages than us? They provide a, if not the most, important service imaginable and to cut their wages does not seem just. Perhaps a performance evaluation system of some sort to sort out those who truly deserve such pay, but certainly not by slashing doctors wages across the board will our country get up and running any faster.

why do doctors work so hard?
    because they can mint it.
    thats the only reason most do it.

and consultants take the piss with the salaries they earn and the charges they have just to see them for 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

200,000 grand is still about 40 grand more than the likes of the british PM's pay - for a place the fraction of the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

When they come out of college they are certainly not "minted", and not for a good while is this the case until they have sufficient experience to merit good pay. To say doctors only get into it for the money is a bit short sighted, although I'm sure this is the case for some, you're tarring them all with the same brush... It's my opinion that doctors wages shouldn't be reduced significantly, and I have no connection whatsoever to any doctors so I'm being objective here. I think they put in enough work to deserve their pay packets, which cannot be said for plenty of other people in the public sector...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bijapos wrote: »
    Instead of trying to compare themselves to the previous crowd and saying "we're a little bit better then them" this Government should be trying to set new standards, something that they have failed to do here imo. It's disappointing to say the least.

Why should we compare them to the last crowd of no hopers, why don't we compare them to what goes on in other countries or set our own (much higher) standards.

Oh, I agree. Perhaps I was just being pessimistic, but I expected a lot more time to go by before this topic would come up.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I'm looking forward to the day they cut the ridiculous wages given to some RTE presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

I'm looking forward to the day they cut the ridiculous wages given to some RTE presenters.
    Dream on. When you see the likes of baz whizzing about d4 in a porsche. (Oh hold on, he wont be doing that for a while after hes now been caught drink-driving.) Some of the ****e that goes on in this country is truly mind-boggling.Greed is rife. I often wonder how some of these shiseters sleep at night. Then I just give up. Theyre the same self-righteous pomps you'll see in the front row of mass on any Sunday. The irony lost on em.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

GSF wrote: »
    The only people prepared to run the country for minimum wage seem to Ming, Boyd Barrett and the Shinners.

Thanks but no thanks.;)

They're still accepting their €94k salary - they are just choosing to spend part off it on whatever their little pet projects are. No doubt they'llalso still accpet their expenses too.

Advertisement