Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest playlist ever?

Options
  • 10-03-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I work with grooveshark playing in the background and I'm trying to create the most magnificent, majestic, perfect playlist to make my tedious job less tedious. Its heavily biased towards eighties synth-pop classics, I know, but it suits the work I do.

My question to AH is simple: Is this the greatest playlist ever or can AH make it more awesome?

1. Always — Erasure
    2. Breakfast In America — Supertramp
    3. Psycho Killer — Talking Heads
    4. Mad World — Tears For Fears
    5. Just Can't Get Enough — Depeche Mode
    6. Blasphemous Rumours — Depeche Mode
    7. Once In A Lifetime — Talking Heads
    8. Love Will Tear Us Apart — Joy Division
    9. Burning Down The House — Talking Heads
    10. The Logical Song — Supertramp
    11. Goodbye Stranger — Supertramp
    12. Cruel Summer — Bananarama
    13. I Don't Like Mondays — Boomtown Rats
    14. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) — Arcade Fire
    15. Black Hole Sun — Soundgarden
    16. Spoonman — Soundgarden
    17. Common People — Pulp
    18. When Doves Cry — Prince And The Revolution
    19. Another Day In Paradise — Phil Collins
    20. In The Air Tonight — Phil Collins
    21. I Got 5 On It (Clean Short Mix) — The Luniz
    22. My Drive Thru — N.E.R.D. feat. Santogold & Julian Casablancas
    23. Bombtrack — Rage Against The Machine
    24. You Know You're Right — Nirvana
    25. All Apologies — Nirvana
    26. Come As You Are — Nirvana
    27. She's Lost Control — Joy Division
    28. Up On The Sun — Meat Puppets
    29. The Killing Moon — Echo & the Bunnymen
    30. Nocturnal Me — Echo & the Bunnymen
    31. The river — Bruce Springsteen
    32. Badlands — Bruce Springsteen
    33. Streets of Philadelphia — Bruce Springsteen
    34. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm — Crash Test Dummies
    35. Sultans Of Ping FC — Wheres Me Jumper?
    36. Jilted John — Jilted John
    37. One Life Stand Hot Chip — One Life Stand
    38. Ready For The Floor — Hot Chip
    39. Road To Nowhere — Talking Heads
    40. Vienna — Ultravox
    41. Mother — John Lennon
    42. God — John Lennon
    43. Love Is The Drug — Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music
    44. More Than This — Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music
    45. Avalon — Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music
    46. The Memory Remains — Metallica
    47. Fake Plastic Trees — Radiohead
    48. High and Dry — Radiohead
    49. Songs Of Love — The Divine Comedy
    50. Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime — Beck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

the circle of life - Lion King.

/Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

No Prodigy, no Iron Maiden, no Daft Punk, No Boys Noize, No Justice, No Girl Talk...

seriously OP...

No...

Also... what is love is missing too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No Faith No More??? Get out of my sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No bob dylan

No queen

No rolling stones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

No Beefheart :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There'll never be a greatest playlist to suit everybody, music is too subjective. I'd rather poke my eyes out and plug my ears with them than listen to Eminem, Jay Z, insert rap/hip hop artist here. But obviously others like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry but this goes in Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYER.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Spore

Close the thread. If AH can't answer this no-one can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Greatest playlist for a supermarket maybe..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Spore wrote: »
    Close the thread. If AH can't answer this no-one can.

Damn straight. I can see exactly why you wouldn't want people with an interest in music to give you some recommendations.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Damn straight. I can see exactly why you wouldn't want people with an interest in music to give you some recommendations.

Oh sorry my musical taste offends thee? Well pray-tell what musical accompaniment one prefers in one's ivory tower? Emo stuff? Please elaborate.

And for the record my post actually asked for AH'ers help and opinion not your Nazi corner of boards, it was my misfortune that the post got redirected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Oh sorry my musical taste offends thee? Well pray-tell what musical accompaniment one prefers in one's ivory tower? Emo stuff? Please elaborate.

And for the record my post actually asked for AH'ers help and opinion not your Nazi corner of boards, it was my misfortune that the post got redirected.

Completely reasonable and called for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I can't hear you from way up here in my Ivory Tower. Soz.

Sending nazi kisses your way... back to Ah you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

No Crystal Swing, no Richie Kavanagh??? get the fluck outta here

Playlist amended to include Crystal Swing and Ritchie Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have noticed that the "Music Forum" has lately become a sort of "Guinness Book of Records" kind of place with threads similar to this, like "the best guitarist", "the best solos", "the coolest band/name" etc. There is nearly always the usual (just like in this thread) arguments about who was put in or left out.

IMO, "best", "coolest" etc is in the ear of the beholder, and these type of threads are futile.

Just my 2c worth. :)

I'm still looking for suggestion btw, I don't think my playlist is the best ever, I just asked the question "is it?" It's not, of course, unless Jesus himself picked the tunes. So any suggestions please. As I said I have a predeliction for eighties synth-pop because it suits my job, so fire away!

Rigsby wrote: »
    I have noticed that the "Music Forum" has lately become a sort of "Guinness Book of Records" kind of place with threads similar to this, like "the best guitarist", "the best solos", "the coolest band/name" etc. There is nearly always the usual (just like in this thread) arguments about who was put in or left out.

IMO, "best", "coolest" etc is in the ear of the beholder, and these type of threads are futile.

It’s the lack of detail that annoys me. I wouldn’t reading these types of threads if the OP made arguments as to why x is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

+1 on the lack of discussion... How about we get some going here?

What are you going for with 'greatness'? I guess it's a sorta 70s-to-present-day popular music thing. Which it does well. But glaring omissions like Stones, Dylan, etc. I'd like to see Beefheart on there but he wouldn't fit in. How come you picked two Radiohead songs off The Bends? Only one Prince song, but two Phil Collins ones? :P

And I didn't know people (parker kent) were still going with the 'all hip hop is rubbish' argument :rolleyes:

smokedeels, your signature made me lol all over the computer room in college :D

• Advertisement

^^^^
    I guess that's the closest I'll come to an actual helpful reply. The reason I don't have the Stones et al on there is because I'm sick of sixties music. I was brought up on it and through over-listening I've become immune to it. So no Beatles, no Stones, no Jimmy Hendrix. As I said before, synth-pop is the way forward. Lets try and make this awesome playlist even awesomer. Serious replies please. I will delete / add accordingly. I'll post the final 'version' of the playlist in... oh I don't know, a week or so? So come on! Lets have your reccomendations!

I'll post the final 'version' of the playlist in... oh I don't know, a week or so?

Oh ! How will I endure the suspence of waiting ??!! :D

Sorry. Could not resist that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Playlist amended to include Crystal Swing and Ritchie Kavanagh.

ballsy move

kudos for the ballsy move

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

^^^^
    I guess that's the closest I'll come to an actual helpful reply. The reason I don't have the Stones et al on there is because I'm sick of sixties music. I was brought up on it and through over-listening I've become immune to it. So no Beatles, no Stones, no Jimmy Hendrix. As I said before, synth-pop is the way forward. Lets try and make this awesome playlist even awesomer. Serious replies please. I will delete / add accordingly. I'll post the final 'version' of the playlist in... oh I don't know, a week or so? So come on! Lets have your reccomendations!

If 'synth-pop is the way forward', I'd suggest more Prince (ca. Sign "O" The Times), The Magnetic Fields, Oppenheimer, The Flaming Lips ca. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, Talking Heads, A Flock of Seagulls, maybe some light Kraftwerk like Das Model?

Though it seems funny to reference a type of music that's been around for 20-30 years as 'the way forward' ;)

But some of the transitions make no sense, a mix-tape needs some fluidity. You can't go straight from Ultravox to John Lennon, it's the audio equivalent of going atm.

smokedeels wrote: »
    But some of the transitions make no sense, a mix-tape needs some fluidity. You can't go straight from Ultravox to John Lennon, it's the audio equivalent of going atm.

You're damn right sir. That's what's making this playlist so damn hard. The reason that Ultravox / John Lennon transition is there is because I was too lazy to think of a better one. I'm working on it...

Good suggestion though, keep 'em coming!

El Pr0n wrote: »
    And I didn't know people (parker kent) were still going with the 'all hip hop is rubbish' argument :rolleyes:D

If you unroll your eyes for a second, you'll see that I was giving that as an example of something I personally don't like, but that others do like. Nowhere did I actually say all hip-hop is rubbish. I merely said I didn't like it, but that others do. Hence my point that there is no ultimate playlist. You can have your personal favourite playlist, but it will not match somebody else's opinion's. Hence this post:

There'll never be a greatest playlist to suit everybody, music is too subjective. I'd rather poke my eyes out and plug my ears with them than listen to Eminem, Jay Z, insert rap/hip hop artist here. But obviously others like them.

It's probably that line that that caused the roll-eyes. For instances, I could insert "The Roots", "Madvillain" or "Dälek" and while they all qualify as rap/hip-hop artists they are quite different from each other and don't deserve to be dismissed along with an entire genre.

imo It's like dismissing Rock or Jazz as a genre.

smokedeels wrote: »
    It's probably that line that that caused the roll-eyes. For instances, I could insert "The Roots", "Madvillain" or "Dälek" and while they all qualify as rap/hip-hop artists they are quite different from each other and don't deserve to be dismissed along with an entire genre.

imo It's like dismissing Rock or Jazz as a genre.

I could have posted detailed reasons as to why I don't like them, but that would be pointless. I know that in my lifetime, I have not heard anything from those genres that I like. It is like somebody saying they don't like non-fiction books. They are not dismissing them, they are merely saying they don't like them. I may not agree with their opinion, but it is their opinion. Same as this in this instance. It is my opinion, and as such cannot be wrong.

I am not dismissing a genre, I am simply stating I don't like it. There is a massive difference in those 2 statements. I did not say nobody else should listen to rap or hip hop. I did not say it was not music or an art etc. I merely said I don't like anything I have ever heard that could be categorised as rap or hip hop. For brevity, I just used the names of the two genres after I gave 2 examples of artists that would be on many people's playlists. I simply have musical tastes which do not include ANY rap or hip hop I have ever heard.

Again, if you read what I say, I have not dismissed any genres. My point is simple, there is no such thing as the "greatest playlist ever". My musical tastes will differ to yours and yours will differ to somebody else. So my ideal playlist is just that, mine.

• Advertisement

Again, if you read what I say, I have not dismissed any genres. My point is simple, there is no such thing as the "greatest playlist ever". My musical tastes will differ to yours and yours will differ to somebody else. So my ideal playlist is just that, mine.

I agree 100%, and I said something similiar in my post below. People getting their knickers in a twist over the music they listen to, ("so'n'so is great" : "no he is n't he's brutal" etc ) is amusing at best and silly at worst. :D

Rigsby wrote: »
    There is nearly always the usual (just like in this thread) arguments about who was put in or left out.

Advertisement