Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic vs Mechanical gear shifting

Options
  • 10-03-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone know how complicated an electronic gear shifting system would be to set up for a CBR 600 gearbox??

The idea would be to use paddle shifters mounted to the steering wheel...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

I'd say the bigger issue is fitting the steering wheel to the bleedin bike in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shapes_14

We are building a car from the ground up and are putting the CBR engine into it...

probably should have mentioned this in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Shapes_14 wrote: »
    Anyone know how complicated an electronic gear shifting system would be to set up for a CBR 600 gearbox??

way beyond the scope of an enthuaistist job i would imagine..

open to correction of course, if you mean fly by wire stuff, good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Are you planning on controlling the clutch too?

For the gear box you'll need some sort of rotary or linear actuator. It will need good position control. Could be electrical, pneumatic or hydraulic.

A small plc should do the job of controlling it. Might also want to feed in trottle position, road speed and engine speed in, get it to work in an auto mode too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

maybe possible to implement dilberts theory with labview or the like...

if you have a general scheme simulating ok-ish then you could get into the design phase with some real idea of what you will need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Would it not be better to use some sort of solenoid system to push/pull the gear shifter currently on the bike gearbox?

The shifter only moves 10-15mm each way on a bike during a gear change, which would be relatively easy to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

right i've only give this about a minutes thought...

inputs;
    up paddle
    down paddle
    clutch override(for pulling away from standing start)

outputs;
    gear up(pull)
    gear down(Push)
    clutch (Push-pull)

when changing at speed then the sequence should just be 1. push clutch 2. change up/down 3 release clutch.

this could be made faster or slower depending on another factor ie. the acceleration or velocity of the vehicle.

when pulling up to a stop the machine can be put into neutral obviously and allowed to coast under braking if desired.
    the problem would be pulling away from a standing start without adding any hardware... if it is to be applied to racing then a launch control could be simply applied... Measure the rpm of the engine and at a desired value(i can only think this would be found through trial and error, either redlining or stalling) bang it into first and aggressively release the clutch.

adding reverse with any bike engine is often a bit messy but would be in this case with the paddle shifters.

to be honest this sounds like a hell of a project and a lot more interesting than what i did for my thesis! i'd love to have a go at this....

as for the mechanicals i'd say linear actuators as their velocity can be easily controlled with a plc!

best of luck!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 powershift

Shapes_14 wrote: »

They are around for ages ,helped by lots of bike-engine powered cars/karts etc in the UK

http://www.translogicuk.com/powershifters.htm

Advertisement