Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!

Options
  • 09-03-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Having trouble with AirPort and the internet. I can't seem to connect to the internet and whenever I do I'm only able to connect for about 15mins and it goes again. When I go into Network Preferences it says under AirPort ''Self Asssigned IP''.

-I've turned Airport on and off.
    -Rebooted my mac router and my windows computer that is connected to the router.
    -Checked wires, plugs, updates.
    -Checked that I'm using DHCP
    -My IP hasn't been changed nor has my router.

I have OSX 10.5.8 (LeopardI)
    I have an Eircom Router: Netopia 2249WG.

I don't know much about routers so if you could try and be as simple/clear as possible.

Thanks,
    David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Try resetting the NVRAM.
    While booting your Mac, hold down the keys Command + Option + O + F. This will boot the computer into Open Firmware.

At the Open Firmware 0 > prompt, type each of these lines followed by the return key:

reset-nvram
    reset-all
    Your computer will restart with NVRAM reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Ahhhhhhhhh, thank you!!! What's NVRAM? And by reseting it how did it fix the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

From time to time your Mac's settings just get corrupted, or a line or two of code becomes 'unreadable' by the system. Resetting NVRAM or PRAM on older Macs restores these memory settings to their previous settings. Here's a link to an Apple KB document on the subject.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1895

Advertisement