Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sound Of Thunder During November 2010 Snow Falls In Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

it really is crazy the way people react to thunder sometimes, memories of father not being home and mother herding us kids into the hot press to the sound of a clap of thunder! It's ok she's much better now and i didn't end up completely mad either (I think!) :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I remember scurrying under the thick wooden kitchen table as a kid with my younger brother, I used to be terrified, he'd be screaming and soon we'd both be screaming and shortly after joined by our mother in whom we had little faith as she said it's alright ~ we were all terrified. Circa 1960?

As we mention it, in the 55 years I've been in Cork, I've only once seen or heard a thunderstorm like it and that was just a few years ago and have hardly heard thunder at all in maybe five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I'm similar, the most ferocious storms I remember are in the midlands, I remember a few times when on holidays in Laois being terrified. The storms I remember down here in Waterford kind of pale in comparison tbh.

Does anyone know where thunder storms occur most and least frequently in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

November 2011??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fizzycyst wrote: »
    I'm similar, the most ferocious storms I remember are in the midlands, I remember a few times when on holidays in Laois being terrified. The storms I remember down here in Waterford kind of pale in comparison tbh.

Does anyone know where thunder storms occur most and least frequently in Ireland?

according to wikipedia:
    Cork Airport, experiences the least thunder; receiving it 3.7 days per year on average.[21]

Valentia Island, County Kerry experiences the most thunder; receiving it 7.1 days per year on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

When i was a kid i used to love thunder and lightning, Mum used to tell me that thunder was God moving around his furniture or going bowling!!! I used to love looking at the sky and imagine him moving a HUGE bed, then the next clap would be the locker, etc... great fun.

I haven't heard any really impressive thunder in years either. In Donegal there used to be the most fantasic sounds from the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Valentia Island, County Kerry experiences the most thunder; receiving it 7.1 days per year on average.

Straide in Co. Mayo receives an average of 10 thunder days per year - which is the highest annual average in Ireland as far as I know...

This map is from the UK Met Office archives showing average No. of days with thunder for the period 1901 to 1931 over Ireland:

151102.gif

Given the time period, I'd say that that map is probably based on guess work rather than real observation but I say the distribution wise, the layout is probably not far wrong, even if the actual figures might be..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I love thunder now but when I was a kid it scared the sh.. out of me, our house had timber shutters on the windows and my mother would close them but that was not good enough for me I would hide under the stairs. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Straide in Co. Mayo receives an average of 10 thunder days per year - which is the highest annual average in Ireland as far as I know...

e..

Well paddy1:)
    I just remembered you in fact told me that some time ago in a message:o

Advertisement