Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellin without a Spare Wheel

Options
  • 09-03-2011 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

I don't have a spare wheel. There is a compressor under the seat But I havent a clue what to do in event of a puncture.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I did check out a new spare wheel but the price was very high.
    Any suggestions on this would be great also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

How about a second hand wheel from a dismantlers yard.
    I know a lot of newer MH's come without a spare wheel to save cost and weight, but a compressor and a can of sealer is no use if the tyre has been damaged and in need of replacement.
    Also there could be issues with provision of roadside assistance service if you need assistance following a puncture/blowout and you have no spare wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Breaker tbh. Just tell the breakers the base chassis type (ie transit or ducato etc) and they may have one lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We bought a full steel wheel in breakers fro just € 20 and the tyre was like new .

There is a cannister you can buy in Auto-factors for around €15 , and in the event of puncture , you pump it into the wheel through the nozzle

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

We bought a full steel wheel in breakers fro just € 20 and the tyre was like new .

There is a cannister you can buy in Auto-factors for around €15 , and in the event of puncture , you pump it into the wheel through the nozzle

Not much good if you have a blowout on a motorway. I guess that the police would cal a breakdown unit to tow you off the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

sunchaser wrote: »
    Not much good if you have a blowout on a motorway. I guess that the police would cal a breakdown unit to tow you off the motorway.

Absolutely right and the recovery would cost a lot more than the price of a spare wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Breaker tbh. Just tell the breakers the base chassis type (ie transit or ducato etc) and they may have one lying around.

Thanks Fingers, Would you happen to know of a good van breaker anywhere on the island of Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

There are many Commercial Breakers in the Island of Ireland, What part of the country are you in, so that we may direct you to your nearest Breaker. A wise decision to obtain a spare wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

All the above definitely need a spare when you wreck the tyre no amount of air will get you going again.

As well as breakers have alook on Done Deal you will quite often get lads breaking vans/commercials or just wheels for sale at beer money prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I'm assuming it's a 2007 onwards model? seeing as you have the compressor and tube of goo.? If so , and if it's a 15in wheel , one from a 95- Ducato will fit.

sunchaser wrote: »
    There are many Commercial Breakers in the Island of Ireland, What part of the country are you in, so that we may direct you to your nearest Breaker. A wise decision to obtain a spare wheel.
    In the Midlands so anywhere is within reach. I am not happy without a spare wheel. Thanks for all the help to everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

SARZY wrote: »
    I don't have a spare wheel. There is a compressor under the seat But I havent a clue what to do in event of a puncture.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I did check out a new spare wheel but the price was very high.
    Any suggestions on this would be great also.

How much is a new spare wheel?

*Kol* wrote: »
    How much is a new spare wheel?

The price I was quoted for a new wheel and add a proper tyre is above my budget, thats why I posted this here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Dempsey dismantlers usually have van stuff and do a free delivery to collins nissan in athlone on fridays. They also have a long list of dismantlers on their website. I had no luck with ducato bits from the dismantlers in westmeath and offaly.
    http://dempseydismantlers.com/deliveries.html

Bridge van would almost definitely hae one to suit and would have it at your door in 24hrs for £25 delivery they also take laser.
    http://www.bridgevan.co.uk/

Also if you post a request on partfinder you'll probably find one.

http://partfinder.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Bought from Kilcock dismantlers for 40 euro.It was off the ending '06 model but fitted '08 model ok.Tyre on it looked great but was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The price I was quoted for a new wheel and add a proper tyre is above my budget, thats why I posted this here.

How much were you quoted for a new spare wheel?

paddyp wrote: »
    Dempsey dismantlers usually have van stuff and do a free delivery to collins nissan in athlone on fridays. They also have a long list of dismantlers on their website. I had no luck with ducato bits from the dismantlers in westmeath and offaly.
    http://dempseydismantlers.com/deliveries.html

Bridge van would almost definitely hae one to suit and would have it at your door in 24hrs for £25 delivery they also take laser.
    http://www.bridgevan.co.uk/

Also if you post a request on partfinder you'll probably find one.

http://partfinder.ie/

Thanks for that. I will phone bridgevan tomorrow.

*Kol* wrote: »
    How much were you quoted for a new spare wheel?

Too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

Where are you going to mount the spare wheel?
    I have no spare at the moment as I cant find a suitable place to mount it, its a renault master conversion. There is not much ground clearance if i mount it under the van

Where are you going to mount the spare wheel?
    I have no spare at the moment as I cant find a suitable place to mount it, its a renault master conversion. There is not much ground clearance if i mount it under the van

Have a roomy garage so it will reside there

we used be charged 99 quid extra for a spare , on an '07 onwards , UK spec Adria.

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    we used be charged 99 quid extra for a spare , on an '07 onwards , UK spec Adria.

Price quoted from a Fiat dealer in Ireland was €130. Add a properly rated tyre €100+ and thats an expensive extra, which might never be used.
    A wheel from a breaker at a fraction of the cost is good business for me anyway.

On another matter;
    Do you know that Fiat operate a Camper breakdown service throughout Europe, in places such as Romania and further afield, But guess what, Republic of Ireland is NOT included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Price quoted from a Fiat dealer in Ireland was €130. Add a properly rated tyre €100+ and thats an expensive extra, which might never be used.
    A wheel from a breaker at a fraction of the cost is good business for me anyway.

On another matter;
    Do you know that Fiat operate a Camper breakdown service throughout Europe, in places such as Romania and further afield, But guess what, Republic of Ireland is NOT included.
    I have it with my Insurance from Dolmen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

If it's a Fiat base, Get a proper 4 tonne trolley jack!

I've seen brand new Fiat ones twist when lifting vans (after we drained the liters of fresh water to reduce weight being lifted)

We only got it changed when a friendly local farmer stopped to give us a loan of his trolley jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 555jman

Hi did you ever mount the spare on the renault? i have a trafic and need to mount the wheel outside the vehicle, any ideas? please help. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Something like this may be of inspiration to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Have a roomy garage so it will reside there

Are you for real?

How is keeping it in your roomy garage going to help you when you are on the road?.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    He didnt say if the garage was in the house or in the camper.
    yours zambo

he meant the garage space in the rear of the camper , alright .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

That makes for a very interesting camper!

• Advertisement
Advertisement