Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German accounts

Options
  • 09-03-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Do I not need an address in Germany in order to open a bank account there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Yes, you need to present a recent letter from any official institution to open an account. Usually you are also able to open one if you can show a renting contract or the like. You will definitely need an address within the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gerone71

Thank you for your reply. Thats good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

You definitely do not need an address in Germany.

I have two German bank accounts. I only have an Irish address. I have never lived in Germany.

I had to go to Germany to open them though.

Well, I know they did ask for an address within the country the last time I made an account, but I am German, so maybe they handled that differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gerone71

Thanks guys for your input. Will be in Germany during the summer so will explore. What are the main German banks?

• Advertisement

Well you have Sparkasse, Volksbank, Deutsche Bank and Targo Bank (which used to be Citibank). Not sure if there are more but those are the main banks for sure. I've been with the Sparkasse for the past 12 years and can recommand them. Usually good service and fast transfers. No problems with international transfers either (online too).

Advertisement