Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unintentionally Copying?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all, I'm in the slow process (because of my lack of motivation) of writing a travel memoir type book, I'm not very well read, I don't think you can count comic books. I read a book every now and again, at the moment im reading Stephen Frys "The Fry Chronicles" a great book and I love how he writes, iv sent sample of my book onto friends and they genuinely seem to like it, id like to think i have a somewhat origional voice, if needed more training and i understand i have to read more to better my writing. Mr. Frys book did open my eyes to ways of saying things that would be similar to my style, but im worried as both books are memoirs of a sort and i dont read a hell of alot that it may sound like someones trying to pretend Stephen Fry was interailing in europe while trying to overcome near chronic social anxiety (the basis of my book) i have heard if your writing a book you should try to read something thats very different from the genre your trying to write. Or maybe reading his book is just motivating me to draw on my vocabulary more, I would be greatful for an insight off someone whoes maybe had this problem. reaching for the the stars; someone whoes read said book and would be willing to give mine a try as long as it interests you:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Wouldn't say that's copying at all. You can't copyright style :)

So, off you go and write the book you want to write. Best of luck.

Also, no harm in posting up a portion here, if even only a few paragraphs for public review.

Although, a caveat. There may well be exceptions, but I would think there are very few good writers that are not also well read. Another piece of advice (for free) is that opinions of family and friends are not a reliable source of critique, for the very reason they want to remain family and friends. ;)

Again, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What he said.

By all means, use the style of your favourite writers to inspire yourself. Your own distinctive voice will still sound. Most of us find that our style varies a bit depending what we are reading. I get all long winded and wordy if I'm reading an old-fashioned historical, and very terse and curt when I'm reading thrillers.

Read lots. Even if you are not wild about the genre, read just to see how other writers do it.

Post up here, or join Write Club here on Boards to get an honest critique. Family and friends will not give you a useful critique. At best, they can see if they like it, but can't tell you what bits are not working or how to improve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 superhero87

cheers had a look for the write clubthere to no avail, could you send me a link, sry still a bit new to boards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

I think that the majority of writers are avid readers, and whilst we all live in fear of 'copying' anything else, it would be nearly impossible to avoid letting aspects of what we're reading and enjoying at that time seep into our writing. Apart from the recent barrage of Twilight-a-likes I have yet to pick up a book and think it was copying something else in an obvious way.

It sounds like you hadn't even considered a likeness between yourself and Stephen Fry before reading, so I'm sure that your experiences are sufficiently different. Don't be disheartened in your writing!

As others have said, having other people read and workshop your work is often a good way to get rid of these little doubts.

Advertisement