Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cistercian College, Roscrea.

Options
  • 09-03-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the above school runs school tours for primary kids? Activity funs days not orientation type tours.

Have a vague recollection of going there few years back but can't remember if it's the right place or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I see it's closing up. Sad day for students and past pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

JPCN1 wrote:
    I see it's closing up. Sad day for students and past pupils.

As a past student it's devastating and I regard it as an absolute capitulation by the cistercian monks who run it

I hope it doesn't close and current parents and past students will fight to keep it open

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

To be fair to them I think they tried everything. Think they had done some deal with Connacht Rugby and hit the past pupils for money. They had seven enrolments for next year. Past Pupils mare at fault than the Monks as they're the ones not sending their kids, no?

No the school's management is at fault for not opening the school up to day boarders like rockwell who has 400+ students

Past students do send there kids to the school but you won't have a steady supply, like myself I don't have kids yet to send but would in a heartbeat

The school stuck it's head in the sand

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

JPCN1 wrote:
    To be fair to them I think they tried everything. Think they had done some deal with Connacht Rugby and hit the past pupils for money. They had seven enrolments for next year. Past Pupils mare at fault than the Monks as they're the ones not sending their kids, no?
    they never have had any deal with Connacht Rugby. The school did try everything and yes the monks can't be blamed
    fergus1001 wrote:
    No the school's management is at fault for not opening the school up to day boarders like rockwell who has 400+ students.
    Past students do send there kids to the school but you won't have a steady supply, like myself I don't have kids yet to send but would in a heartbeat.
    The school stuck it's head in the sand
    I don't agree the school had its head in the sand and the monks and school Mgmt didn't want day boarders for fairly good reasons that were said when this news broke...

• Advertisement

Great turn around I pledged money so I'll have to pull out the wallet now 😂

Great to see. Have had plenty of friends attend there over the years and also refereed there and coached teams to play against them. Will be very interesting to see how many do actually start in school there next year if schools survival is guaranteed

Great to see. Have had plenty of friends attend there over the years and also refereed there and coached teams to play against them. Will be very interesting to see how many do actually start in school there next year if schools survival is guaranteed

There are 30 more students starting in September now so that has numbers right back up and 500 have said they will be sending their sons in the next 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

fergus1001 wrote: »
    There are 30 more students starting in September now so that has numbers right back up and 500 have said they will be sending their sons in the next 10 years

About time they sent a few girls too !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Not sure that counts for much as lots of people put their names down in several schools and then change their minds.

Rhinohippo wrote:
    Not sure that counts for much as lots of people put their names down in several schools and then change their minds.

Rhinohippo wrote:

These are from past students not window shoppers so even if 40% dropped away and the rest went it's still brilliant

Xenophile wrote:
    About time they sent a few girls too !

We always joked when we were there that we would probably need a maternity ward along with an infermory!

Don't get me wrong. I'm delighted to hear that the school isn't closing, just voicing a word of caution, not to count chickens, before they have hatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Honestly don't get the fuss over this.
    If my secondary school closed I couldn't' care less.

Lads I knew who went there weren't too positive about the Place.
    Supper consisted of a slice of pizza and a few chips.
    I'd never send my son/daughter to a boarding school

digzy wrote: »

But many 00s did and do care. Especially when its a school like Cistercian where all students will have been boarders and 7 day boarders at that and built a relationship with school that many who will have attended day schools never will understand.

You;d may not send a son/daughter to a boarding school but plenty do so thats why there such a fuss over this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

But many 00s did and do care. Especially when its a school like Cistercian where all students will have been boarders and 7 day boarders at that and built a relationship with school that many who will have attended day schools never will understand.

You;d may not send a son/daughter to a boarding school but plenty do so thats why there such a fuss over this...

Jesus, this the third thread you're following me on.
    <SNIP>. I'm not having an argument with you. Thank you very much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont resort to personal abuse please. Use the report button if youve a problem with a post.

digzy wrote:
    Jesus, this the third thread you're following me on. . I'm not having an argument with you. Thank you very much

Calm down he was here before you if you checked the first page.

Dinner was pretty decent when I was there lunch was always veg and meat dinner was chips but you could have salad if you wanted.

Have to admit the place gave me a smoking habit from the Sundays with nothing better to do

digzy wrote: »

Much depends on the circumstances of people - where they live, how near they are to local schools, family circumstances and so on. I couldn't see myself sending my kids to boarding school either but it is a very good option for some and I wouldn't criticise those who do. Also, I have several relatives who attended the school. All did reallly well and were very grateful to the school.

• Advertisement

If they can get half of that 500 theyd be doing ok
    Xenophile wrote: »
    About time they sent a few girls too!
    Why???
    Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Much depends on the circumstances of people - where they live, how near they are to local schools, family circumstances and so on. I couldn't see myself sending my kids to boarding school either but it is a very good option for some and I wouldn't criticise those who do. Also, I have several relatives who attended the school. All did reallly well and were very grateful to the school.
    Yep. Spot on. Have many friends who attended the school and have been in the school coaching teams and refereeing games. Know a few people who've worked there in past as well.

Strong feelings can persist about a school, particularly for those who boarded, many of whom seem to have had good experiences and made friends for life in Cistercian.

Hopefully this rescue package will secure the future of the school for a number of years.

Rhinohippo wrote:
    Hopefully this rescue package will secure the future of the school for a number of years.

Hopefully, they're having an open day on the 1st of April for prospective students, I think the marketing and admissions staff have been left a little red faced after the comunity effort

Hopefully, they're having an open day on the 1st of April for prospective students, I think the marketing and admissions staff have been left a little red faced after the comunity effort
    Marketing & admissions staff? I doubt there is a dedicated staff in that regard, as they would most likely be teachers and trying to do some marketing, part time. Great that the community became involved though.

Advertisement