Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Retirement - Ideas on things to get involved with

Options
  • 08-03-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi there,

Just after taking an early retirement package at age 56 and am looking for ideas on how to fill my days. Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Archery
    Backgammon
    Caddish behavior
    Drinking
    Ergonomic grooving of a bar stool
    Fishing
    Glass-blowing
    Hopscotch
    Iccarus wings
    Jive dancing
    Kick boxing
    Line dancing
    Mime
    Nocturnal adventures
    Well thats enough for a Monday morning anyway.

Get an allotment. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Doctor C wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just after taking an early retirement package at age 56 and am looking for ideas on how to fill my days. Any ideas???

Trying not to fill your days at all cost and learning to slow down and enjoy whatever it is your doing at the moment, to suck the last bit of goodness out of it ...that seems to be a good idea as well. Take the pressure off, live.

Worked a treat for my parents.
    Don't see the (all of a sudden) available time as a challenge, see it as a treasure and enjoy it. Ideas what to do with it will come ...in time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Doctor C wrote: »
    Just after taking an early retirement package at age 56

Jammy!
    am looking for ideas on how to fill my days. Any ideas???

You'll find your way, no need to over think it.
    My Da worked from age 15 to 68. 24/7 a lot of that time. So much so, that he couldn't even take 2 days off at Christmas because sitting doing nothing did not compute with him.
    So, when he had a minor stroke at 68 and told to retire, I thought, he'll never manage. For a while, he didn't.
    Then he bought a 30 year old Massey Ferguson and took the whole thing apart and put it back together again. Works perfectly. :D
    He also cycles about 40/50km a day.
    House repairs are always on going.
    My mother gardens and paints.
    She took up the guitar recently.
    Seems to me, you'll pick things up as they take your fancy.
    What have you always wanted to turn your had to?
    56 is very young and the world is your oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i'm planning on bowls. and getting good at it.

an instrument is a good idea if you've ever fancied it?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Volunteer-you can pick and choose your hours and how to share your skills.
    I volunteer with St. Michael's House with adults with intellectual disabilities as I am out of work, and I love it. I'm currently trying to get a job as a social care worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I second the "volunteer" option, you clearly have a lot to offer in terms of social skills and knowledge, Im sure theres plenty of organisations that would welcome your expertise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

This is what I would do if I had some spare time
    http://www.nala.ie/help-nala

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

It all depends on how active you are and how much money you have to dispose of.

You could start a collection of things and travel around to pick them up.

I used to love target shooting until it got to be difficult (I am in UK remember) But Archery is a good replacement. OldGoat mentioned Archery and I would go along with that.

If you are more active, take up martial arts. I did Karate for years and loved it.

Hmm shooting, archery and karate. I am quite violent really arn't I?:pac:

A friend of mine has recently taken up cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I intend to spend some time doing nothing when I retire!!! After doing that I might do something else....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Trace your family history. It will take up as much time as you want to spend on it and you never finish unless you can trace staright back to Adam and Eve :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I would also suggest some sort of volunteer work if it would interest you.

I manage a place where I have about 25 volunteer workers of all ages, we have a great laugh in work and the volunteers all get on great with each other.

With most charities/organisations even 4 hours a week can help.

You could have a look here http://www.volunteer.ie/ and see if anything takes your fancy!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Write a memoir. Doesn't have to be a literary masterpiece, but your descendants will love you for it. I know very little about my antecedents, but I keep regularly updated notes about things I think my kids will find interesting at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Read.
    Travel.
    Engage in a sport/outdoor activity. Join a club & assist in some capacity.
    Have a hobby. Doesnt have to be something you are good at, just something you enjoy.
    get a bit of exercise. Look after yourself.
    If you are happy, great! If you are not happy, figure out why, and fix it.

Spend lots of quality time with your loved ones.

Consider working part time. I heard a guy on the radio this morning who retired early from the bank to concentrate on painting. He now sells his art from a studio & works for Cunard 3 months a year giving art classes on cruise liners & travelling the world. That is jolly not so bleedin bad at all, I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KATEKAT11

Hi there, am in the same position and am looking in to different ideas, like voluntary work, literacy. I am giving myself a few weeks to allow ideas to 'evolve'.
    KATEKAT11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

All of the above really. Since redundancy and rotten luck finding any other job I suppose I'm retired now but I call it 'semi-retired' in case something turns up. Some days there just aren't enough hours as I have so many interests and they can take over. Remember to balance it all out, make time to do absolutely nothing. Good luck Doc!

Advertisement