Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone insurance - null and void - refund?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Evening all,

Looking for some advise on the following issue.

My wife yesterday got a call from her mobile phone service provider to say they had reviewed her account and that they have noticed she is paying the wrong Iphone insurance premium and that her insurance is now null and void. She has been paying €9 per month insurance since she signed up for the Iphone contract in 2009 and it has not changed since, yesterday she was informed that the €9 a month premium is for a regular phone and not a smart phone which should cost €12.99.

Should my wife be entitled to a full refund on the insurance from 2009 to date as this is the operators mistake, it was their store agent that processed the contract and set up the insurance. We are not sure as to when exactly the insurance became null and void, if the cost wnet up at any stage or if it was incorrectly processed from the start. As far as I am aware if any insurance is null and void due to the providers error/mistake, you have not been provided with the product you have paid for so in turn you should be entitled to a full refund.

Any help on this matter appreciated,

Many thanks,

Nick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thor wrote: »
    I think it means the insurance is null and void for the original iPhone, It was her duty to make sure she made them aware of the change in phone whenever she upgraded.

The insurances is only null and void for the new phone, But was only valid on the old Iphone, Just not valid for the new iPhone.

Simply upgrading to the 12:99 a month now will mean the new iPhone should be insured.

As far as getting a refund back, They arent to blame here. Seeing as she was the one that never told them she changed phone, If she had I'm sure they would have added the price increase, If she did tell them and they didn't explain the price increase, They she was lucky as they didn't charge her the extra few euro and her phone didn't break in the end.
    Where does it say the OP's wife upgraded her phone?:confused:

Genuine question, I am not being smart and I apologize if that is how this post comes across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Where does it say the OP's wife upgraded her phone?:confused:

Genuine question, I am not being smart and I apologize if that is how this post comes across.

Ah i read it wrong.

If they have been charging you the wrong price then technically it would only matter if she broke the phone and was looking to get it fixed, But see as she didn't technically she saved the 3 euro a month over the last 2 years and didn't break her phone.

Doubt they have to give a refund, But you could argue that they gave the wrong insurance in the first place. Either way you made a saving./

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

My wife did have an upgrade but it was from a 3G to a 3GS.

Regardless of her making a saving in hindsight she was not provided with the cover she was paying for, she could have been saving €9 not paying for something she wasn't getting in the first place.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

So basically she was sold a product which according to the phone company as not fit for purpose would not have resulted in a successful claim.

I would be looking for my money back for the last two years.

I would also be writing a letter to Comreg and Financial Regulator. If there is one person affected there are thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Just been doing some digging on the insurance cost, it looks like the cost of Iphone insurance went up last summer to €12.99 per month, she was not notified of this what so ever. As far as I am concerned the provider has failed on their to notify my wife of the increase in the insurance cost and so left her exposed and paying for insurance which it turns out was not valid. Had she of had a claim from last summer to date she would not have been covered.

Nick

amen wrote: »
    So basically she was sold a product which according to the phone company as not fit for purpose would not have resulted in a successful claim.

I would be looking for my money back for the last two years.

I would also be writing a letter to Comreg and Financial Regulator. If there is one person affected there are thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Get a refund,

I did after 2 years ... didnt notice the charge from Homecare insurance. thought it was for something else.

Your phone company are only an agent for the insurers anyway so contact the insurance company directly.

Advertisement