Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of quick questions

Options
  • 08-03-2011 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hey lads (and lass if there are any)

I was an old school arcade street fighter 2 player. I just picked up an xbox 360 and SSF4 as I was let go from my job and I was bored (between looking for a job that is). Enjoying Black ops, Halo reach and most of all SSF4 (offline so far). The tournaments sound like a bit of craic. I will be a punchbag for a bit but I am compeditive and will rise like a fibre rich turd in time.

Do most of you play on Xbox or PS3?

Anyone know anywhere in Ireland where you can get a decent arcade controller. I don't have a credit card so online is not an option unless I borrow one.

Are pads only for fannys?

Any good websites with tips for playing SSF4 or is it just a case of practice, practice and more practice?

I used to use Blanka 1st and Ryu 2nd choice. Is Blanka a good charactor to get compeditive with?

Am I the oldest swinger in town at 35 playing these games?

thanks in advance.

Eco

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

eco2live wrote: »

I was an old school arcade street fighter 2 player. I just picked up an xbox 360 and SSF4 as I was let go from my job and I was bored (between looking for a job that is). Enjoying Black ops, Halo reach and most of all SSF4 (offline so far). The tournaments sound like a bit of craic. I will be a punchbag for a bit but I am compeditive and will rise like a fibre rich turd in time.

Anyone know anywhere in Ireland where you can get a decent arcade controller. I don't have a credit card so online is not an option unless I borrow one.

Any good websites with tips for playing SSF4 or is it just a case of practice, practice and more practice?

I used to use Blanka 1st and Ryu 2nd choice. Is Blanka a good charactor to get compeditive with?

thanks in advance.

Eco

In order:

Welcome.

Most people are on xbox but both have scenes.

I don't think anywhere currently has stock of good sticks. 3V card's the way to go if you don't have a credit card.

The two best players in the country use pads. However, sticks don't change shape on a given system, and I'm used to them so I prefer them.

the forums on shoryuken.com are were most people read their match up stuff.

Blanka and Ryu are both good characters. There's no really bad characters in SSF4. They're all competitive in the right hands.

You're slightly older than I, your fellow arcade rat, at 35. I have, however, never swapped wives with anyone :)

Feel free to ask more.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

I think most people on here (judging by the player tag thread) play on x360.

I'm not sure about the south but Gamestop branches in the north carry a couple of low end HORI arcade sticks. HORI EX2 for x360 and it's ps3 counterpart. You might have some luck in HMV if you're after a Madcatz stick. Might I suggest getting hold of a pre-paid credit card and shopping for one online? It's better to be able to pick the stick you want rather than being saddled with the only one you can find.

Some top players use pads. It's all down to personal preference. I've tried both but I much, much, MUCH prefer to use a stick. Everyone's different though.

www.shoryuken.com www.eventhubs.com

This one I'm not sure about. I use Rose and Juri just because they feel right to me when I play. I suggest playing a little of everyone until you really click with any particular character.

I'm not sure about the rest of the members of the board but I'm not too far away from you. 30 in May.

edit: took me a little longer than I thought to type all that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate. good info.

I don't mind the pad so far but I remember the stick being much more responsive. Is it the standard pad or the madcats pad that I see advertised that other people are using? Think I even seen one of those in HMV last week.

I actually have a 3v card in a drawer I think. Forgot about that. nice one, I think I will get a stick online.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

thanks in advance.

Eco

Hey and welcome to the forum ^^

There is a spread but the majority (and a good one at that) play on XBL

As far as sticks go there is a link at the root of this forum for buying/selling sticks among members. HMV in Henry street sell the TE and you can pick up the Hori EX2 in almost any game shop nowadays. I'd be willing to lend you mine but it's PS3 stick!

Pad or stick is ultimately preference. I use pad myself (learned stick for the hell of it about a year ago), and there are a few other pad players too (most notably Cobelcog, one of the best if not the best SF4 player in the country)

Use Eventhubs for frame data (doubt you will need it at your level (no offence meant), in fact, frame data is not needed at all, but it's just a great addition to have), Shoryuken.com is a great site for useful threads/info for your characters, YouTube to observe high level matches. But overall it just comes down to practice

You can be competitive with any character in the game but some just have more tools than others and will be used a lot more. I'm not sure about Blanka's position in the game but use who you feel you like the best. Ryu is a seriously solid char :)

Don't know lol

Np and hope to see you soon!

Sound as a pound lads. Thanks

Seems like a friendly forum. Will have a look at the list of gamertags and add mine and will see you soon online when I will unleash the green beast on you. (thats not a gangrenous micky by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

thanks in advance.

Eco

Hey man,
    First off, you have a good attitude towards practice and learning, so that's a great start. Blanka and Ryu are both great choices but I think many people know the Ryu match-up. My advice would be just to play both and see who feels better to you.

As for the age, I'm 33, and I'd say the average age is round 27 (I could be way out there). The younger lads are mature beyond their years, and we have a really good community.

Where are you from?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hey man,
    First off, you have a good attitude towards practice and learning, so that's a great start. Blanka and Ryu are both great choices but I think many people know the Ryu match-up. My advice would be just to play both and see who feels better to you.

As for the age, I'm 33, and I'd say the average age is round 27 (I could be way out there). The younger lads are mature beyond their years, and we have a really good community.

Where are you from?

Originally from Drimnagh, Dublin but have been living in Kildare for the past 6 years.

I should give some of the new charactors a go for a bit (well new to me that is). Going to start getting stuck in online for a bit and see how it goes. The standard seems to be high online (or I am ****e) but you are better off playing against good players.

The standard xbox pad is ok but not the best. Might take a spin into HMV and see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Blanka is a good choice but learn Ryu for the basics and it will help your game a lot. I dont play Ryu as a main but he's the all round character to use when learning the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

How much is a hori ex2 in the shops? I might be getting an xbox this week and need a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Generally about 30 to 40, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

No a guy called dreddybajs is the oldest, he says he's 22 but don't mind him he's 40 or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The younger lads are mature beyond their years, and we have a really good community.

Hi I don't believe we've met... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ramza wrote: »
    No a guy called dreddybajs is the oldest, he says he's 22 but don't mind him he's 40 or something :pac:

Ye but chunkis is in his 50s so... :pac:

Welcome to the forum eco, hope you can attend some events soon!

Think all your questions have been pretty well answered by the other lads but I'd second learning the game with Ryu - he's very solid, doesn't really have any flaws in his design, and if you're an old school SF2 player from back in the day you should be comfortable with throwing fireballs and dragon punching people when they jump already.

Really though at the end of the day, if you prefer Blanka (or any other character) just use them, you aren't going to be seriously crippled by character choice in this game. I'd recommend messing about with a bunch of different characters (try their trial modes etc.) to get a feel for them.

As for pad vs stick, neither is superior to the other - it's all just down to personal preference. If you come to casuals or a tournament you can try out other people's sticks before you invest the money yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Hey Eco welcome

The only thing I would add is that if you stick to maining Blanka, it will be hard to get the most from him as a character. Comboing into electricity is extremely hard with a pad compared to a stick. A lot of blanka's pressure game comes from jab to fierce elec and from what I've seen this is incredibly difficult on the pad. I think there is a blanka player here who uses a pad, Cant remember who, so he'd be best to confirm this.

Anyway good luck with the game and get along to some casuals to get to know people and get used to the level of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Controllers micro-reviews:

PS1/2 Dualshock:
    +Cheap to buy (eBay etc.)
    +Good, cheap adapters available for PS3 & 360
    -Slightly mushy feel (variable)

Sony Dualshock3/Sixaxis:
    +Adapter for 360 available (ask Hound or chopperbyrne)
    +Decent d-pad
    -Crap R2/L2 triggers (can be saved with Giotek trigger snap-on)

Microsoft 360 pad:
    +Good analog stick & shape
    -No good adapters available
    -Atrocious d-pad & triggers

Madcatz Fightpad:
    +Cross-platform standard design
    +Good d-pad
    -Variable quality
    -You'll need to buy 1 per platform / mod a 360 pad (hard)

Hori EX2/FS3:
    +Cheap
    +Very portable
    +Good stock joystick
    -Stiff, unreliable buttons
    -Hard to replace/repair parts
    -Need to buy 1 per platform / dual-mod (medium)

Madcatz Fightstick (SE)
    +Good base
    +Can replace/repair parts (easy)
    -Crap standard parts (except for Wii TvC edition)
    -Need to buy 1 per platform / dual-mod (medium)

Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP)/Madcatz Tournament Edition (TE)
    +Great stock parts (Sanwa or Seimitsu)
    +Can replace/repair parts (easy)
    +Big size
    -Need 1 per platform / dual-mod (medium)

Qanba Q4
    +PS3 & 360 out-the-box
    +Under-button lighting
    +Great stock parts (Sanwa)
    +Big size
    -Not available yet (or is it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If you've no strong desire to be a pad player, might as well hop onto stick early as possible. Before you get "stuck".

If you've no strong desire to be a pad player, might as well hop onto stick early as possible. Before you get "stuck".

Thats what I was thinking. Also who knows what the next console will bring. I am going to get a stick. I was used to them from the arcades and they will always be around in one shape or another as long as we have side on fighting games.

If you used them back in the day you will take to them like a duck to water.

It took me about 2 days to acclimatize to a stick after playing fighting games for about 5 years on a pad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

In fairness though you play guile.

In fairness though you play guile.

I know you're only joking but it used to really confuse me in vanilla how I'd have some people moaning about how easy mode Guile is execution wise and other people moaning about his 1 frame links and difficult ultra motion :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Hey there and welcome along,

Firstly, if your going to be playing online, prepare to lose... A LOT. It can be really disheartening to be on 10 - 15 or even 20 game losing streak but the we're here to help you and there is a huge assortment of information out there to help you level up your game.

There also a lot of BS online, such as lag and people abusing the turbo function on thier sticks / pad ( this is banned in tournements ) so be weary of that and don't let it get you down.

Not much else I can say really, look forward to playing you online sometime.

Hey there and welcome along,

Firstly, if your going to be playing online, prepare to lose... A LOT. It can be really disheartening to be on 10 - 15 or even 20 game losing streak but the we're here to help you and there is a huge assortment of information out there to help you level up your game.

There also a lot of BS online, such as lag and people abusing the turbo function on their sticks / pad ( this is banned in tournaments ) so be weary of that and don't let it get you down.

Not much else I can say really, look forward to playing you online sometime.

Was playing last night. Won as many as I lost. Got 5 in a row at one stage. Fairly frustrating against really good players but that is how you learn. Cammy seems to kick my arse every time.

Went from a D to a D+ in about an hour so not too bad. I beat a couple of Bs and got my first hate mail. I was called an unskilled lucky bastard. lol. I sent back what does that make you. I am only playing one hour you clown. T hee. It was a bit lucky I have to admit. I unplugged the mic after a bit as some people where blaring music in the background and wrecking my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Hey eco2live,

Welcome to the forums.

There's an awesome SSF4 tutorial series on this guys YouTube channel if you're interested - www.youtube.com/user/VesperArcade He covers everything from basic game engine information to the more advanced tutorials for nailing down the harder combos and beyond.

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Hey eco2live,

Welcome to the forums.

There's an awesome SSF4 tutorial series on this guys YouTube channel if you're interested - www.youtube.com/user/VesperArcade He covers everything from basic game engine information to the more advanced tutorials for nailing down the harder combos and beyond.

nice one. exactly what i was looking for.

Up to 1200 battle points now with Blanka. Not bad for my second day. Some of my old school skills still there. I love this game. Its nearly the perfect fighter. Better get that stick before I get too used to the pad.

Its hard to put this bloody game down. Just one more....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

eco2live wrote:
    Its hard to put this bloody game down. Just one more....
    Exactly how I feel about SFIII:3rd Strike on GGPO.

I swear, I once went on for an FT5 and stayed for 3 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

how much was that te in hmv?

They did not have it in the end. I bought the tekken 6 one in gamestop but I am thinking of returning it.

Advertisement