Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sportiva Tyres

Options
  • 08-03-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hey guys,

Just shopping around for 4 new tyres for an Audi A4. I can get Sportiva (205/55/16) for €60 a corner, 91 V rating.

Apparently Sportiva are a part of Continental and are a decent budget/mid-range tyre. Anyone ever heard of them? Any opinions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hey guys,

Just shopping around for 4 new tyres for an Audi A4. I can get Sportiva (205/55/16) for €60 a corner, 91 V rating.

Apparently Sportiva are a part of Continental and are a decent budget/mid-range tyre. Anyone ever heard of them? Any opinions?

id be amazed if they arent sh!te

get a decent set of mid range tyres and dont contemplate putting dangerous muck like that on a decent car.

Falken, toyo, kumho, vredestein, uniroyal all have reasonably priced tyres far superior to the budget stuff.

actually here ill do it for you:

Buy 4 of these:

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s291p12360

or these

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s291p61055

or these

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s291p60648

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Cyrus is spot on OP.

I actually had cheap Triangle tyres on the back of the wifes car. I had Pirellis on the front which were wearing a bit so I put the Triangles on the front. Lord god the car was all over the place and the road noise is terrible.

I actually disputed here that their could not be that much difference but their is. Vredstrein ultrac Sessantas are a very good tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Sportiva are nothing like the chinese brands. They are part of the Continental group and are designed and manufacturered in Europe. They've also been around for years, not just since everyone started wanting cheap tyres.

For their price they are not a bad tyre at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Are you not a bit late asking that question now that you've fitted them and paid your money?

Anyhow, I'd think you'll be OK. I presume you bought them through Advance Tyre.

Sportiva are nothing like the chinese brands. They are part of the Continental group and are designed and manufacturered in Europe. They've also been around for years, not just since everyone started wanting cheap tyres.

For their price they are not a bad tyre at all.

Why would you buy them over actual contis? Or uniroyal or vredestein?

Just because big tyre co's own budget brands doesn't make them any better

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    id be amazed if they arent sh!te

Ok, we have a qualified mechanic who works in a garage that also retails tires, the same lad drives a high powered rwd car around a track. In fairness if he reckons Sportiva are not a bad tire compared to the likes of Triangle perhaps he has a point.

I can safely say you have no experience whatsoever about Sportiva tires :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Are you not a bit late asking that question now that you've fitted them and paid your money?

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

RoverJames wrote: »
    Ok, we have a qualified mechanic who works in a garage that also retails tires, the same lad drives a high powered rwd car around a track. In fairness if he reckons Sportiva are not a bad tire compared to the likes of Triangle perhaps he has a point.

With all respect Cyrus said "id be amazed if they arent sh!te"

So it sounds like he doesn't have any experience with them either.

you would be right

not bad compared to triangle isnt a vote of confidence that id be looking for,

my point is nobody seems to know what they are like, there are no reviews, and apart from the tyre chains peddling them as made by conti, nobody knows much about them.

for more or less the same money ive listed three tyres that have been reviewed by different magazines and websites and have scored well, i know what i would be buying.

i think that a lot of tyre places here, esp the chains, sell tyres like this as their entry level and make a nice mark up on them, they would appear to be poor value compared to more established brands.

Ok perhaps clearer,

Compared to the latest wave of super cheap chinese brands, triangle, fullrun and a raft of others, many of which are of a quality that...shall we say, takes advantage of the lack of inspection of imported tyres in certain countries in europe(Ireland mainly).

The sportiva are made by a company which is owned by the continental group and like I said, manufacturered in europe, so they are subject to all the same quality assurance as Continental tyres them selves, and Bridgestone, Michelin etc.

They will not be at the cutting edge of grip/economy/handling design as they are using the technology which is a couple of years behind the major manufacturers, which is what keeps them cheap. They are however made in the same facility as certain continental tyres although in a completely seperate part..I've seen this with my own eyes.
    Barum, uniroyal, semperit tyres are in the same group as sportiva too.

• Advertisement

Ok perhaps clearer,

Compared to the latest wave of super cheap chinese brands, triangle, fullrun and a raft of others, many of which are of a quality that...shall we say, takes advantage of the lack of inspection of imported tyres in certain countries in europe(Ireland mainly).

The sportiva are made by a company which is owned by the continental group and like I said, manufacturered in europe, so they are subject to all the same quality assurance as Continental tyres them selves, and Bridgestone, Michelin etc.

They will not be at the cutting edge of grip/economy/handling design as they are using the technology which is a couple of years behind the major manufacturers, which is what keeps them cheap. They are however made in the same facility as certain continental tyres although in a completely seperate part..I've seen this with my own eyes.
    Barum, uniroyal, semperit tyres are in the same group as sportiva too.

youd rather have conti sport contact 2s for a few quid more tho surely?

and uniroyal rain sports perform very well in any test i have seen them in, there is no data on these sportivas

mp3kid wrote: »
    With all respect Cyrus said "id be amazed if they arent sh!te"

So it sounds like he doesn't have any experience with them either.

He also said they were dangerous muck ;) Based on nothing really.
    Now his point is "youd rather have conti sport contact 2s for a few quid more tho surely?"
    ......and I know he has no experience of them, that's my point.

James,

i know disagreeing with me is like a bloodsport for you and all that, but the fact is you have no experience of them either?

Except to say that a mechanic you know, that drives round a track, thinks that they are better than triangle.

And i think thats the point, no one seems to know what they are like, there are no reviews of them anywhere either, a little strange no? if they were so good surely continental would provide them from review?

anyway, i offered the OP 3 alternative tyres that i know are very good mid range, because i have either driven cars with them, or seen evidence to suggest that they are worth what you will pay for them.

but all you are doing is disagreeing with me

What do you suggest he does?

Loads of people have absolutely no interest in spending money on tyres so they might as well get these as the really bad Chinese one's.

Id be pretty confident putting budget tyres made by one of the leading European manufacturers on any normal car, different if you are taking about a powerful car obviously.

Loads of people have absolutely no interest in spending money on tyres so they might as well get these as the really bad Chinese one's.

Id be pretty confident putting budget tyres made by one of the leading European manufacturers on any normal car, different if you are taking about a powerful car obviously.

maybe, but the tyres i have listed above are definately good tyres and in most cases arent much more expensive.

the difference in stopping distances in the wet between ok tyres and better than ok tyres makes it worth your while doing some research,

most irish people dont seem to care less unfortunately

http://www.tyretest.com/summercar_tyres/sportiva/g65/index.html

http://testedtires.com/pkw_winterreifen/sportiva/w65/index.html

It seems their winter tyres(not the same as snow tyres) perform much better then their summer tyres.

But again, I make the point that the vast majority or Irish drivers are happy once their is something made of rubber that will pass an NCT wrapped around their wheels.

maybe, but the tyres i have listed above are definately good tyres and in most cases arent much more expensive.

the difference in stopping distances in the wet between ok tyres and better than ok tyres makes it worth your while doing some research,

most irish people dont seem to care less unfortunately

Some don't care but a lot wouldn't understand either. A lot if not most people drop in their car, ask for something fairly cheap and pay at the end. They don't know anything about tyres and don't really want to. They see paying more for one tyre over another as a waste of money.

I can guarantee if you tried to explain to a lot of people about difference in stopping distances in the wet they would reply "well you should be driving slower in the rain" or "You should be watching out more" and hence no need for more expensive tyres.

James,

i know disagreeing with me is like a bloodsport for you and all that, but the fact is you have no experience of them either?................What do you suggest he does?

I'd suggest that Nissan Doctor's view on the Sportiva's would carry more weight than yours, no offence. If I said Accelera tires were perfectly adequate no doubt you'd say they were sh1t, one of us has driven two different cars on them and one of us hasn't :) After reading NissanDoctors comments you come back with a statement asking him to agree that he'd prefer to have conti sport contacts than the Sportiva.

Are they not dangerous muck anymore in your view?

Generally when someone asks for opinions they are looking for more than a comment of they are rubbish etc from someone who has never driven on them.

I'd suggest that Nissan Doctor's view on the Sportiva's would carry more weight than yours, no offence. If I said Accelera tires were perfectly adequate no doubt you'd say they were sh1t, one of us has driven two different cars on them and one of us hasn't :) After reading NissanDoctors comments you come back with a statement asking him to agree that he'd prefer to have conti sport contacts than the Sportiva.

Are they not dangerous muck anymore in your view?

Generally when someone asks for opinions they are looking for more than a comment of they are rubbish etc from someone who has never driven on them.

why does his view carry more weight than mine?

again i wouldnt put accelera on any car of mine, but if you want to put them on yours work away.

no one has proven to me that they arent dangerous muck? altho that was a flippant comment.

generally when buying tyres i do some research and make a decision based on my requirements, but regardless of the type of car i am buying them for safety is of paramount performance, so if i cannot find any empircial evidence on the performance of a tyre i wont consider it, id rather not be the guinea pig who takes an extra car lenght to emergency stop in the wet.

finally, after making my comment that i would be surprised if they were any good, i offered alternatives to the OP. Given that he has yet to buy them im assuming his post was also a query on tyres in the price range.

you have decided to spend the thread disagreeing with me and not offering him anything.

what exactly is your problem with buying good tyres ?

Some don't care but a lot wouldn't understand either. A lot if not most people drop in their car, ask for something fairly cheap and pay at the end. They don't know anything about tyres and don't really want to. They see paying more for one tyre over another as a waste of money.

I can guarantee if you tried to explain to a lot of people about difference in stopping distances in the wet they would reply "well you should be driving slower in the rain" or "You should be watching out more" and hence no need for more expensive tyres.

totally agree, doesnt mean i have to like it tho :)

• Advertisement

why does his view carry more weight than mine?

He works in the tire industry, he is a qualified mechanic. You have just said you have made flippant comments in your response to the OPs question which makes them of even less value.

I have no problem buying good tires.

He works in the tire industry, he is a qualified mechanic. You have just said you have made flippant comments in your response to the OPs question which makes them of even less value.

I have no problem buying good tires.

i dont know why i bother responding to you, you completely ignore most of what i say and concentrate on the few points where you can score points, im trying to help the guy, you are trying to prove me wrong,

i couldnt give a toss, if everyone wants to buy budget tyres let them, i was trying to show that there are decently regarded mid to premium tyres available at similar money

i dont know why i bothered to be honest

ps its tyre not tire

i presume you have taken a look at this james?

very few reviews of them around, but here is one from some who bought them, 2/5 for dry grip and 0 for wet.

and they last for ages, so a hard compound with poor grip

..........where you can score points..........
    ps its tyre not tire

Oh the irony :D, correcting spelling mistakes :rolleyes: Will I run through your posts and correct the punctuation?

I don't know why you bothered either. I remember years back everyone was saying Falken and Kumho were a desperate tyre. So too Yokohama, now they are good tyres.

I reckon in a year or two Accelera will be as equally well regarded as Falkens.

i presume you have taken a look at this james?

very few reviews of them around, but here is one from some who bought them, 2/5 for dry grip and 0 for wet.

and they last for ages, so a hard compound with poor grip

And did you have a peak at the one for the winter product? Why would you give any weight to the review anyway? If it said they were brilliant you wouldn't believe it, would you?

Oh the irony :D, correcting spelling mistakes :rolleyes: Will I run through your posts and correct the punctuation?

you can if you like, i was just pointing that rather large mistake out to you seeing that you work in the industry, save you getting it wrong in future.

Yes i had a peek at the one for the winter tyres, however i would be very surprised if its winter tyres that the OP is being offered wouldnt you? Seeing as people couldnt get winter tyres in this country when they actually needed them last november.

the point is, there is no evidence to suggest that they are any good, so why not, for the same price, get a tyre that there is, thats my point.

what is yours? apart from consistently disagreeing with me?

you can if you like, i was just pointing that rather large mistake out to you seeing that you work in the industry, save you getting it wrong in future.

What industry do you reckon I work in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DROP THE HANDBAGS RJ & CYRUS.

What industry do you reckon I work in?

i assumed the motor industry given your high regard for everyone else that works in it ;)

are you going to answer any of the rest of my post?

• Advertisement

i assumed the motor industry given your high regard for everyone else that works in it ;)

Nope, nothing at all car related :(
    I would hold NissanDoctors views in high regard though as his posts are very helpful and he really knows his beans.
    are you going to answer any of the rest of my post?

I can't after Chris's warning :pac:

Advertisement