Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Cricket

Options
  • 08-03-2011 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Im considering starting cricket and I am just wondering is it hard to pick up if you have never held a cricket bat or bowled before and your 18 years of age.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Im considering starting cricket and I am just wondering is it hard to pick up if you have never held a cricket bat or bowled before and your 18 years of age.?

yes its easily picked up. :)

Most clubs have probably just started their winter nets recently, and many if not all will be able to coach any new players as required.

We regularly have twenty somethings pitch upf ro the first time to play , its no issue at all.

Not sure where you are based but if you give me an idea I can perhaps point you to your closest club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

Me and a friend are thinking about joining were both from Galway

ok well your choice is limited then. :)

you have either (i stand corrected here)

County Galway / NUI Galway http://www.galwaycricket.com/

pretty sure they are the one and the same team.

suggest you drop them an email way.cricket@gmail.com and Im sure they can provide you with all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

ok sound thanks for your help

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I was 23 before I started, and I turned out to be rubbish... :D Probably not the best example, but you can definitely pick it up at any age, and the younger the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Stuart Broad didn't become a fast bowler until he was 17 ;) 18 is fine.

Clubs will usually have spare kit so no need to worry about that sort of thing either. Pads, gloves, helmet etc

Best way to get into the game is to wrap a tennis ball in gaffer tape, 2 wheelie bins out the front for a wicket and play with everyone you know in the street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Just while this thread is here I thought I might as well ask, is there any clubs around kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Bagenalstown is probably your closest but I'm not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Seeing as this was developed with this question in mind, I might as well keep promoting it!

http://www.cricketleinster.ie/clubs

Masked Man wrote: »
    Just while this thread is here I thought I might as well ask, is there any clubs around kilkenny?

Mount Juliet have a team but they dont play competitively just a load of friendlies.

As mentioned Bagnalstown is the closest that play in the LCU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Any Cricket clubs left in the Waterford city/Dunmore area.

I can remember about 10 years ago there used to be a league including the likes of The Glass,The Munster,Jordons,Callahanes and Dunmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dasbo

Any Cricket clubs left in the Waterford city/Dunmore area.

I can remember about 10 years ago there used to be a league including the likes of The Glass,The Munster,Jordons,Callahanes and Dunmore.

There's a new club in Waterford that is made up of a number of players who used to play for Dunmore and other teams around the Waterford area, as well as new members:

See http://waterfordcricket.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Cricket's a great game to pick up when you're older and the cricket in Galway is pretty strong. I helped set up NUI Galway club nearly 10 years ago and it's still going strong however you should be a student to play with them. County Galway is getting a good young base and a lot of Gaelgoirs. They even received funding because they promote Irish speaking in the club...they're really nice people and the facilities are really good.

If anyone is playing near Dublin, the only thing I'd say when you pick up Cricket really late is that there are always big family dynasties in each club which can be a little hard to break but once you've been playing for a bit and show enthusiasm people will eventually warm to you. I dunno but that's just my experience in some of the clubs.

You'll find Galway cricket clubs on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not that hard. Initially you will face problems in adjusting your batting stance and footwork. Once you get used to that, you can pick up the game easily.

Regarding bowling, it is not that hard. When you bowl continuously, you will get to know when to release the ball and in which direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

yeah, I have to say that bowling is probably one of the most unnatural things that you will ever do and people who start playing when they're older do find it hard. Expect to go through a while of the ball just not going where you want it to go. However, there are still people who pick it up and eventually get the hang of bowling...cricket isn't just about bowling though and batting is probably the most enjoyable part of the game apart from slip fielding (nothing like a ball flying at your head for a catch)...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xzid

Me and a friend are thinking about joining were both from Galway
    Hi,
    You can join NUIG indoor cricket league.
    Its on wednesdays for beginners.

Advertisement