Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Move or Not to Move...that is the question?!! HELP!

Options
  • 08-03-2011 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, been following threads bout aus and nz and I really need help in making my mind up....i'm hoping some nice person out there will be able to help me! basically got offered a corporate work placement in Melbourne at 65000aus dollars. it would invovle a lot of travelling (not the backpacking style) and really need to know from someone if it is possible to live out there on this money. Everything seems really daunting for me at the minute and i'm worried with rent rates, taxes and medicare levi's that i would be living to work rather than working to live!!!! any help would be so much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 anthony_moran

6candles - I posted a cost of living post which received some good feedback...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056186945

This might help you decide the affordability aspect.

However, the main question to be asked first is 'Do you want to move to Oz?'
    If you really want to move, you will make it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes you can live on 65 k harden up princess :-). Enjoy Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

6candles wrote: »
    Hi, been following threads bout aus and nz and I really need help in making my mind up....i'm hoping some nice person out there will be able to help me! basically got offered a corporate work placement in Melbourne at 65000aus dollars. it would invovle a lot of travelling (not the backpacking style) and really need to know from someone if it is possible to live out there on this money. Everything seems really daunting for me at the minute and i'm worried with rent rates, taxes and medicare levi's that i would be living to work rather than working to live!!!! any help would be so much appreciated.

65K is a good wage.

You'll net approximately $4,240 a month on that wage.

(Australian Tax Office - ATO - tax calculator link:

http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcalc/calc_standard_hire.asp)

If you choose to pay health insurance, cover and extras will come to around $100 a month.

Otherwise, you're looking at rent, bills (electricity, gas and water - if you're renting you probably won't have to pay a share of the rates as the landlord will pay those), phone costs, internet costs if you have internet at home (recommend it for skyping those you've left in Ireland).

Basically, OP, it looks like you've been presented with a situation that a great deal of the posters on this forum would chew their right arm off to get.

You say 'corporate work placement' - do you mean your employer wants to relocate you to Melbourne?

Lots of travelling - what kind? Are they footing the bill? Is it international travel e.g. you'll be back and forth between Ireland and Melbourne once a month or something?! Or travel around Australia?

Tell us more - but the upshot is don't be daunted - if they're paying your wage they may also have some relocation money on the table (if they haven't mentioned it, ask about it!)

What industry are you in?

Am all nosey now... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I was on 65/70k when I lived in Melbourne 8 years ago and I thought it was difficult but I was living in South Yarra paying relatively high rent which didn't help the case; Honestly it depends on your current situation & as obviously mentioned above just how much you want it.
    I'm now living in Cape Town earning a lot less than I was used to but I've learned to live without the fancy gadgets & enjoy the outdoors a lot more, if you're really interested in changing your life you'll get by on a lot less than you think.

Advertisement