Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop leafleting my house at night

Options
  • 08-03-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I have gotten tired of being woken during the early hours of the morning by someone banging a clothing collection leaflet into my letterbox or banging my gate or just leaving it open after them.Putting up a notice of no junk mail does not work it is ignored.
    So now just before I go to bed I pop outside and on goes the padlock on my path gate.I keep the key on a hook inside my door so its easy to find.
    In the morning on my way out it comes off. If somebody called late and couldnt get in then they would just ring my mobile.
    The gate is so low 2 and a half ft, that in the event or an emergency i could simply climb over it
    hey presto no more disturbed sleep.
    Try it.
    Or have you found another method that works?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Little more then an excuse to scope out properties and check for easy targets

Posted it before on another forum that my letterbox is a metal box on the wall but when these dodgy people arrive in the early hours I've seen them try my door handle.

I've no doubt there are people in these fake charity scams involved in burglary

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

tishandy wrote: »
    I have gotten tired of being woken during the early hours of the morning by someone banging a clothing collection leaflet into my letterbox or banging my gate or just leaving it open after them.Putting up a notice of no junk mail does not work it is ignored.
    So now just before I go to bed I pop outside and on goes the padlock on my path gate.I keep the key on a hook inside my door so its easy to find.
    In the morning on my way out it comes off. If somebody called late and couldnt get in then they would just ring my mobile.
    The gate is so low 2 and a half ft, that in the event or an emergency i could simply climb over it
    hey presto no more disturbed sleep.
    Try it.
    Or have you found another method that works?

I got sick of the bogus clothes charities leaving notes as well. So what I did was put some old tin cans in a plastic bag on the doorstep the night before they were due to collect, trapping the corner of the bag in the door as I closed it. The next morning I was up early and ready for them when I heard the rattle outside. Well I gave them all hell and asked for ID. It's all bull****, no charity involved, they just sell what they collect into the rag trade. From speaking to the Gardai they're not doing anything illegal, even though the notice put through the door had a fake company number and a mobile number that was unconcactable.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

During the bad weather at xmas I had cleared the path outside with my garden shovel, and forgot to put it away. I left it in my porch area . woke up around 5.30 hearing a scraping noise . when i looked out it was a leafleter with his little satchel dragging my shovel along my path then he fired it into the grass by my hedge. Dont know what he was hoping to achieve.
    that'll teach me for being too lazy to go to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭manna452121

This might not solve the early leaflet lads but when they collected a bag from me some time back they got a smelly surprise.I filled the bag with rotten food,grass etc and put some old jumpers on top.I deliver all my other cloths etc to the shops in William st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I told them that if my wishes of no junk are ignored, the leaflet will be left outside my place

then when the managment company come around, they will find their junk littered on the ground, they will get fined for littering and hey presto, they'll soon get the message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Leave the grass cuttings in the bag for them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

They can't be contacted..The police don't care..

It should be classed as anti-social behaviour to put anything into a letter box between 10pm in the evening and 7 am in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

When the leaflet comes in my fella throws it back out the letterbox. Its quite funny. Anyway

If you call SVP they are rolling out bins nationally for these bags.

If enough people use them it wont be profitable for the illegals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

In Cork it's well known that Lithuanian gangs are collecting these clothes and sending containers of them home, pretending to be charities. A container, according to the Evening Echo, is worth upwards of 100k.

I would also be cautious about my property too, they have also been linked with crimes happening. 3 am is a great time to see if a car is locked, or a house full of expensive electronics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

my neighbour left her front door unlocked one night and woke up the following day minus a laptop, phone,mp3 player a few other easy to carry bits and pieces.

The Gardai reckoned one of these guys found the door open and helped themselves.

The constant feed of these stupid leaflets is annoying as hell though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

All those clothing leaflets are scams, only 3 or so legit charities, SVP, Enable Ireland, and some cancer one.

I specifically got rid of the letterbox in my front door when I had it replaced a few years ago and put a letter box on the wall instead. These people don't put the leaflet in the letterbox like regular post, they leave it hanging half way out of the flap which leads me to believe that it is some sort of way of letting them know if a house is occupied or not. If they come back later that day and it is still hanging there then there is a high chance that nobody is at home to remove it. The majority of burglaries these days happen during the day rather than at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

They used to come in the letterbox more, but now I'm only getting them
    twice a week around 5-6 am in the morning. (I've had the door handle tried in the past too)

Sorely Tempted to go out to the door with shotgun in hands and scare the **** out of them some morning but that would be irresponsible and illegal so having sense and being mostly sane I refrain from those impulses.

I noticed something different with this weeks Crap in the door. This week they appear to totally have given up
    on the idea of pretending to be some form of charity.
    NOW! they are offering to PAY YOU (Shock Horror!) per Kilo
    of clothing you give them and their drivers will offer you cash on the spot for a bag of clothes.

I've been thinking of collecting every single bit of Junk mail that comes through my letterbox
    just to see how much I get over a month. I reckon it would be shocking! at least when the post and the Limerick Leader arrives I can use it to line the cats litter tray. Speaking of which they are getting thicker and thicker with supplements which are ads and two front pages.
    ~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

They get a set amount of cash per kilo of "rags" to be sent and recycled, theres big money in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about a thread?

"Stop Airtricity knocking on my door"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    They get a set amount of cash per kilo of "rags" to be sent and recycled, theres big money in it.

At work we go through tonnes of these rags for cleaning and everything really! They are all chopped up clothes from these "charity" collections no doubt!!

Berty wrote: »
    How about a thread?

"Stop Airtricity knocking on my door"

I tell them what I told the other rep the month before. No means no. Not before I let them finish their speel though. Get a little satisfaction from letting them blabber on for 5 mins. Just when they try to invite themselves in to read my meter I break the bad news to them and send them on their way. :D My other half is not as patient or polite when they start getting a little pushy.

Noticed eircom doing the same lately trying to flog their "next generation" broadband. They turn up at the door after 6pm when most people are home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

bazz26 wrote: »
    I tell them what I told the other rep the month before. No means no. Not before I let them finish their speel though. Get a little satisfaction from letting them blabber on for 5 mins. Just when they try to invite themselves in to read my meter I break the bad news to them and send them on their way. :D My other half is not as patient or polite when they start getting a little pushy.

Noticed eircom doing the same lately trying to flog their "next generation" broadband. They turn up at the door after 6pm when most people are home from work.

How silly of them, imagine a sale rep calling when everyone is at work :rolleyes:

I said to the guy that they needed to stop knocking on my door and his line was (definately stamped into their brains during induction) "We have had a very response in this area which is why we are back"

They rang me a few times and knocked on my door numerous times. Next time I see a green jacket outside my door I will just give them the finger through the glass and return my lard ass to the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I've had them call regularly but just say no before they get into their spiel. Poor feckers are on about 14 yo yos a sale with no travel ex's or basic pay so I don't want to waste their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

This might not solve the early leaflet lads but when they collected a bag from me some time back they got a smelly surprise.I filled the bag with rotten food,grass etc and put some old jumpers on top.I deliver all my other cloths etc to the shops in William st.

I like this idea, cuts down on Pay by Weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Simple way of getting them to not call again is flip the lid at them. Absolutely go nuts and **** them out of it. Not the nicest thing to do but hey what they do isn't nice either - I've heard stories of people [usually elderly] being severely pressured and coerced into signing up. **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Other than their annoying reps, what's the matter with signing up with Airtricity?

They are ONLY cheaper for a limited period of time and then they become the same if not more expensive that other suppliers.

Also if you manage to figure that out and decide to leave they charge you €140. :eek:

It's kind of like the builder. A good builder NEVER had to knock on your door. The dodgy builders knocked on your door.

But not everyone may need a builder but I'd guess the majority of houses use electricity. :rolleyes:

phog wrote: »
    But not everyone may need a builder but I'd guess the majority of houses use electricity. :rolleyes:

I think you are gladly and selectively missing the point. If your product is so good you don't need to push it down people's throats.

What is so god about them? They offer you cheap electricity and gas NOW but when your contract expires your prices go up HIGHER than what you are paying right now. False economy really.

Berty wrote: »
    I think you are gladly and selectively missing the point. If your product is so good you don't need to push it down people's throats.

What is so god about them? They offer you cheap electricity and gas NOW but when your contract expires your prices go up HIGHER than what you are paying right now. False economy really.

but once your contract expires then surely you can switch to another supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Im pissed with an post pushing unaddressed spam thru my letterbox every other day, everything from spar to supermacs promptions and political flyer sht. But they wont deliver a letter to an address for u without a name...............double standerds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i stuck one of these stickers on my letterbox about two years ago.....actually works very well...rarely get anything other than regular mail through the door...

i didn't think anyone would pay any heed to it, but they do it seems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

phog wrote: »
    but once your contract expires then surely you can switch to another supplier.

Technically you dont have to sign a contract if you wish

Advertisement