Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat Takes On EVO

Options
  • 07-03-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Rather than starting small, and building, a Mortal Kombat tournament has been announced with a prize pot of $21,000. Organisers are optimistic as "registration is limited to the first 1,500 players to complete the registration process."

May 14th & 15th - "the best of the best will fight it out at Bally's in Las Vegas, NV for a share of the $21,000 guaranteed prize pool".

Also has an ad for a fightstick (which looks a bit mental).

http://www.pdp.com/mortalkombat/

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2 things:

1. I always underestimate just how popular MK is in America.

2. I will rip the spine out of anybody who tries to declare the MK layout "ergonomic".

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Johnick

Well, you gotta give em props, this will certainly generate interest :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Johnick wrote: »
    Well, you gotta give em props, this will certainly generate interest :eek:

im sure same was said about marvel or sf4, prior to actual release.
    might be something, never know

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

cool stick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I dunno guys.

I loved MK as a kid, but that was mostly because I was a kid, and I thought "mature" stuff like ridiculous fatalities was awesome. Most of the gameplay was just filler between you pressing start and you getting to do a fatality.

When I go back to play my old beloved MKs these days, the rose tinted glasses come right off and I find it hard to get around the fact that they're genuinely terrible fighting games.

Unless the new game is a drastic departure from the original formula, I find it hard to imagine a serious tournament for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Basically we won't know if this is a good or bad thing til MK9 comes out.

I'm not holding out hope though- I think the last MK game that had any tournament following was UMK3. I could be wrong on that though.

I really want MK9 to be good. It'd be really, really REALLY good for Capcom to have a mainstream competitor (I think BBCS is a pretty good game, certainly miles better than CT, but I don't think capcom is shaking in their boots over it).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Capcom already have a mainstream competitor, only it's 3D and starts with a "T"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

It'd be really, really REALLY good for Capcom to have a mainstream competitor

This.

I'm already feeling that Capcom are resting on their laurels and churning out half-assed content for quick bucks and if left unchecked will probably kill interest in the genre all over again.

Advertisement