Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grey Herons Appetite For Rats.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

seen them at it a few times on the canal around kildare durin the snow too, couldnt believe it when i saw it first! great video fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Fantastic piece of video, Wildirishswan. Well done!

Was it shot with a regular camcorder or a more professional video camera? The video quality is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great video but it looks a dicey meal if the rat was still alive when swallowed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

seen them at it a few times on the canal around kildare durin the snow too, couldnt believe it when i saw it first! great video fair play

Even better is the fact that young mink are also on the menu:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wildirishswan

Fantastic piece of video, Wildirishswan. Well done!

Was it shot with a regular camcorder or a more professional video camera? The video quality is excellent.

Thank you, it was shot using a mini dv camcorder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was just discussing with someone recently about what impact the disappearance of non-native species such as rats would have on predators such as raptors (and now herons, it seems); does anyone know how much of their diet rats would entail?

i was just discussing with someone recently about what impact the disappearance of non-native species such as rats would have on predators such as raptors (and now herons, it seems); does anyone know how much of their diet rats would entail?

I have seen a Heron catch and eat a full grown adult Rat and moments later it went hunting for another. I have watched one particular Grey Heron hunt for a Rat or Rats everyday... it was not always successful.

I think a proper study should be done.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Even better is the fact that young mink are also on the menu:)

That would be a sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Many years ago on the farm, there was a Heron. I saw it most days over a period of a month or more. Always near a hedgerow...nowhere near water.

Had me puzzled until one day I stumbled across it with a large rat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

great vid, nearly got sick at the thoughts of it.

looked like the heron was having second thoughts too just after swallowing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Well caught and good vid.

I've a couple of herons that come by who have a taste for goldfish, Koi and frogs. Now if I could get them off these and into rats... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Well captured , Great video.
    Saw one struggle with a rat on the Barrow once for about 10 mins , super birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Great video. I wonder are heron populations a lot bigger than they used to be in the past? And as a result they are widening their diets?
    Its great to see them so regularly but I hope they dont get a bad reputation from game keepers.
    I know of one man who rears a few ducks. He was saying that a lot of his young ducklings go missing when the heron is around.
    So he ended up shooting one, to find about 8 ducklings inside in his stomach!
    Are herons a protected species? I was surprised to hear that they could eat so much ducklings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Herons are very predatory and opportunistic birds. I have seen them take rats, frogs, duckling, young moorhens and such. A friend of mine has spotted them feeding on road kill as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Cool vid, would never have thought the heron could swallow something so big

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

boneless wrote: »
    Herons are very predatory and opportunistic birds. I have seen them take rats, frogs, duckling, young moorhens and such. A friend of mine has spotted them feeding on road kill as well.

They're a bit like maribou storks so, in the way that they will eat anything!
    There very handy to have as a top predator so.

Advertisement