Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic Literacies

Options
  • 07-03-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Surely the most pointless and annoying excuse for a class ever. I hate having to do all these reviews and drafts especially when i have other coursework to do. Everyone I know hates it and it hasn't had any benefit yet. What do ye think of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

It's a waste of time but not a hard module to get a good grade in. I got an A2 in AW4002 with little work. I can't for the life of me remember what I did though.

Looking forward to Skyrim btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Biggest load of shíte ever. Have not attended it's lectures since week 1 of last semester...fine if you have issues writing or doing work but being spoke down to and told how to "improve your writing" when there isint an issue is darn frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

The only incentive to do well is not having to do a repeat of it. I only care if i get to a pass and that's all that matters. It's a lot of common sense too and something you can address fairly quick. I guess I just hate the fact of doing constant re-drafts,peer reviews, group presentations etc and they don't have much consideration for your other modules. I got a c1 at christmas by just turning up and doing the worksheets so i've done the same so far this semester. I think an extra tutorial in poltics or history or whatever you have would be much more helpful. Don't have much time for the lecturer. Oh thanks, yeah i'm looking forward to it too hopefully when i won't have to worry about this class anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Skyrim wrote: »
    The only incentive to do well is not having to do a repeat of it. .

+1

One of my friends failed it last year so it would just make you aware that unless you do the work you may not pass. Neon circles, yeah i haven't been at the lectures since last semester, she drives me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭McFry

Agree that it has been of no benefit. Waste of time, as it distracts from the more important modules. The lectures rarely bare any significance on the tutorials. Ultimately, the module is a failure, it hasn't improved my writing at all! :/

I've enjoyed first year but that academic writing has been a lowpoint. The whole writing mallarkey is a load of bull, sure i'm sure the lecturers only want essays that are to the point and referenced properly. I did that group presentation last semester, worst thing ever, especially when you do most of the work. I got a c1. I suppose i really didn't care as long as i didn't fail.

I attended yesterday's lecture, worst mistake ever. A bit like Leaving cert maths, when are we ever going to use this in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Biggest load of shíte ever. Have not attended it's lectures since week 1 of last semester...fine if you have issues writing or doing work but being spoke down to and told how to "improve your writing" when there isint an issue is darn frustrating.

I got a C1 in this last semester and the lowest grade I got in any of my other modules, all four of which are very wordy and very essay based, was a B2! Now that's some discrepancy for a module that claims it reflects your writing habits and style! If it really was a reflection of my writing abilities, how come I received much higher grades in my actual subject modules?

I hate that we're forced to do it when all we need to do is learn through experience in first year what academic writing demands. There's plenty of facilities in the university to help people with difficulty writing, definitely agree that we shouldn't be made to attend these pointless classes whether we like it or not...

I got a C1 in this last semester and the lowest grade I got in any of my other modules, all four of which are very wordy and very essay based, was a B2! Now that's some discrepancy for a module that claims it reflects your writing habits and style! If it really was a reflection of my writing abilities, how come I received much higher grades in my actual subject modules?

I hate that we're forced to do it when all we need to do is learn through experience in first year what academic writing demands. There's plenty of facilities in the university to help people with difficulty writing, definitely agree that we shouldn't be made to attend these pointless classes whether we like it or not...

+1
    I've really enjoyed first year but that class has been a lowpoint. I think if lecturers were more lenient in first year to let you get used to it, there would be no need for this class. Only 3 weeks left lads, hang in there. I've attended all my tutorials most painful thing ever, but if i pass( my tutor says i'm on track) at least we won't have to do it next year and trust me another semester of it would be unbearable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Skyrim wrote: »
    +1
    I've really enjoyed first year but that class has been a lowpoint. I think if lecturers were more lenient in first year to let you get used to it, there would be no need for this class. Only 3 weeks left lads, hang in there

YESSSSS! Hadn't thought of that, not too far to go so! Agree first year was brilliant, except for that class :)

I know a second year who had to do it. He hated every minute of it. He just did the work and nothing more and he got by on a comp fail, i think. I've attended them all so far, you get marks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I've <snip> for my tutor. <snip> won't let any of us get below a B:D.

But totally agree, a nightmare of a class!

If i get a c3 i'll be more than happy it's a liability above anything else and also takes up valuable computer spaces.

Think this is needed for morale boost: Only 2 weeks left lads hang in there, just think to yourselves you don't want to repeat. :D Believe me you'll be glad of it later on.

Last tutorial monday. Bit bittersweet, no mostly sweet actually. No more mind numbing and time consuming tasks to worry about and then the coronas the next day...sweet :D.

Shocking band

Surprised people don't like them, i'm not a big fan but just want to go for the craic, one of the last events of semester. I heard rumours they may have cancelled, hope its untrue. It would be bad enough, considering the rubberbandits bailed out during the charity week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Thank god this piece of hell is almost finished and being put back where it came from..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Sorry to be necroposting on this, but I found it amusing and ironic to read back through the posts on this topic.

The number of spelling, grammar and usage errors displayed in your posts is amusing given that you're complaining about a module that's intended to improve your writing. People in glass houses, etc.

• Advertisement

Chimaera wrote: »
    Sorry to be necroposting on this, but I found it amusing and ironic to read back through the posts on this topic.

The number of spelling, grammar and usage errors displayed in your posts is amusing given that you're complaining about a module that's intended to improve your writing. People in glass houses, etc.

Ask 99% of people who have done the module and they will tell you it was a giant waste of time. It did nothing for my writing, spelling and other areas. Most people resent it because they were given no choice but to do the module.

I agree it's a poor module. But what really rustles my jimmies are people who bitch about a module being useless while showing up to hardly any of the lectures or labs.

Advertisement