Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htc desire connecting to wifi on it's own... i don't want it to!

Options
  • 07-03-2011 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

right, so i have a couple of wifi networks stored on my htc desire. i leave my wifi on all the time so it connects when i'm within range (helps keep the mobile data usage down).

my problem is that i was walking through a shopping centre the last day and noticed it kept connecting to various unsecured networks that i'd never used before. as a result this was disabling mobile data on my phone and leaving me connected to a wifi network that ( a) i can't do anything with because it's got a login page anyway and ( b) potentially connecting me to untrusted networks that might allow people monitor whatever my phone is sending.

has anyone got any suggestions? i have htc desire running generic 2.2 and i use wifi manager widget.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

On my Galaxy there's an option to notify me when there's an open network available. If you disable that it might stop it connecting to unknown networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

it better not be that simple! i've unticked that now. didn't even notice the option ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yep its that simple. Instead of connecting it just pops up a notification saying "Open Wi-Fi Connection available"
    I got one before on the M9 in the middle of nowhere in Carlow. Really confused me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i feel like a right idiot now anyway. i'll test it out tomorrow and see what happens. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you leave Wi-Fi enabled all the time then the phone will be constantly scanning for a hotspot, I disable WI-Fi when I'm leaving the house, saves battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Random wrote: »
    i feel like a right idiot now anyway. i'll test it out tomorrow and see what happens. thanks
    ha Ha you said it. I hate when something is really simple to sort out but ya end up doing everything arseways lol.

Advertisement