Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A free alternatvie to LittleSnitch

Options
  • 07-03-2011 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I was looking for a free alternative to LittleSnitch, (an outbound firewall). And eventually I found two that seemed to fit the bill: NoobProof and TCPBlock.

I have both installed but I'm afraid NoobProof is just a bit too complicated for me (despite it being a simpler version of WaterRoof) so I don't actually use it.

But TCPBlock is easier to use. It hightlights any apps that makes an outbound connection to the net and you can decide to add them to a block list or not.

I think LittleSnitch has more functionality than TCPBlock but after trying and failing with NoobProof I've decided I don't what any more functionality.

And while I'm at it, after TCPBlock told me some of my apps (GPSBabel and Hydrogen) were 'phoning home' without my permission , I found Cocoa Packet Analyzer . A very nice free packet analyzer that helped me see what those apps were phoning home about (nothing too sinister just checking to see if they were up to date -but I still don't want them doing that with out my say so.)

So if any one was looking for a free version of LittleSnitch thats what I found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Talisman

There's also Mocha. It logs any connection attempt to the computer's firewall. I find the ARP Table very handy when running virtual machines as it lists all of the connections.

Advertisement