Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Commerce Shopping Cart for Joomla

Options
  • 07-03-2011 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,
    client insists Joomla to use as CMS and wants online shopping as well (max 2000 products,paypal/realex payment gateway,shipping in Ireland only). Please suggest a suitable shopping cart extension for Joomla.Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

You can use VirtueMart , http://www.worldnettps.com have a free plugin for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

sicruise wrote: »
    You can use VirtueMart...
    ...as long as you plan on sticking with Joomla 1.5 for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Scotty # wrote: »
    ...as long as you plan on sticking with Joomla 1.5 for ever.

Explain what you mean please. and thanks

Joomla has moved to version 1.6 and will soon be version 1.7. These upgrades brought a major change to the core framework (MVC).

Joomla 1.5 will soon be no longer supported.

Virtuemart was not written for MVC and is no longer developed. It will eventually die off altogether unless someone takes over development.

A suitable alternative may be tienda though it's still in it;s infancy. I haven't used it enough to give an accurate review.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

The last release was VirtueMart 1.1.7 stable Release Date: 2011-02-06, this doesn't look like a project that is dying off...

I imagine they have plans to support new joomla framework.

• Advertisement

sicruise wrote: »
    The last release was VirtueMart 1.1.7
    I guess someone has taken over development so. This is good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 team eGlobe

Thanks guys for the reply. I am going to use virtuemart and joomla 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Install CSV Improved in Joomla as well, it'll be a godsend for importing 2k products, it can be tricky to get the configuration exactly right for the initial product export and watch the delimiters being used in the spreadsheet (I normally use "~" & "|" as delimiters as it's unlikely the spreadsheet will contain those characters).

Virtuemart Developer Version 1.9 includes a competed task for converting the configuration tp MVC .. and 2.0 in the works, doesnt look like VM will be going anywhere soon.

http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/roadmap

was.deevey wrote: »
    I normally use "~" & "|" as delimiters
    What CSV editor do you use? I've tried a few but find myself always going back to Excel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

What CSV editor do you use? I've tried a few but find myself always going back to Excel.

Open Office ;) when opening CSV's you can specify the delimiters when opening and likewise when saving a file you can change them if needed.

Excel has a tendency to "break stuff"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 study68

I suppose Virtuemart is currently the best open source cart system for Joomla.. there are many other paid cart systems though. Many modules and components available on Virtuemart, those can tailored to the requirements.

Paul
    http://www.irishwebexperts.com - Joomla/Magento/Wordpress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Hi All

I am also using Joomla, and need to decide on a shopping cart software

I have read lots of bad reviews of Virtuemart however, lots of bugs, and repeated reports of some problems w/ Paypal and tax calculation.

Can anyone suggest another shopping cart software that is compatible with Joomla?

Thanks

Tienda - Though I haven't used it myself.

What you heard about Virtuemart was probably during it's 'hibernation period'. As it's actively being developed again those bugs should be gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Thanks Scotty

Advertisement