Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording bass into Mbox mini 2

Options
  • 07-03-2011 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Quick question, I have a Mbox Mini 2 and I want to record some bass into it but I want to DI and mic my amp at the same time. How am I gonna do this as the interface only has one XLR? Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

With only one input you've 2 real options

1. Record the DI and then resend that to your amp and record the amped signal as a second pass.

2. Make a blend with a mixer between the DI and Amp and send that to your Mbox to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Mongo wrote: »
    Hi all

Quick question, I have a Mbox Mini 2 and I want to record some bass into it but I want to DI and mic my amp at the same time. How am I gonna do this as the interface only has one XLR? Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Does your amp have a line out?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    With only one input you've 2 real options

1. Record the DI and then resend that to your amp and record the amped signal as a second pass.

2. Make a blend with an mixer between the DI and Amp and send that to your Mbox to record.

I guess the blending with a mixer is my only option but I'd rather have two separate tracks when it's done. Also the amp doesn't have a line out just a DI out.

Just to be clear I meant run the recorded DIed bass out to the amp and THEN record that via a mic back into Protools.

I see but that will only re-produce the signal rather than behave the way an amp usually would when playing through it.

• Advertisement

.... and a better plan is ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    .... and a better plan is ? ;)

Use the DI from the amp on channel 2 and mike the amp into channel 1?

Bass amps often have DIs at line level, usually after the first gain stage of the preamp.

Mongo, what amp have you got, and what connector type is the DI on it?
    Often times they're XLRs.
    In that case you just need a XLR to TRS cable, which are readily available.
    If so just hook it up to channel 2 on your MBox, mike the amp into channel 1 and you're golden.
    You'll need to consider phase as the DI may not be in phase with the amps speaker, so watch for that. Flip one channels phase as necessary.

Edit: Now that I think of it; channel 2 on the MBox can be switched for instrument or line level so it doesn't matter what your amps DI is (it has to be one or the other), you just need the right cable.

It's a Gallien Krueger 700RBII so it's got an XLR for a DI. Why didn't I think to just use XLR to 1/4" jack? It's so simple. Thanks Paolo :)

Paulo you're right - I thought we were talking about the single input box - Mongo you're some plum not to have thought of that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

I was going to suggest XLR to jack, but I assumed it would be at mic level like a standard DI? So without extra gain it won't do much for the line input. Suck it and see. Connect hot to + and cold to -, don't connect the screen at the jack end, and keep the cable short and away from mains and RFI sources if possible.

• Advertisement

I am a plum Paul but I didn't see you suggesting it!

Or why don't I just use a different DI box that has a link on it? Really, what an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Don't be so hard on yourself... ;)

Talk about a brain fart.

Advertisement