Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Alternative to iMovie

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi There

Does anyone know of a free alternative to iMovie, have been using this but looking for something with more features.

Thanks
    bp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

No such thing as a free lunch, if you want free video editing you are going to have to work for it!
    Try something that comes from a UNIX O/S like LiVES or Kdenlive.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

thanks but need a mac version, would be willing to pay something but some like FCP are way too expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

What features are you looking for? Final Cut Express is a step up from iMovie and is a fraction of the cost of Final Cut Studio. It still costs €199 though.

bonnieprince you are also going to have to engage your brain to resolve your problem. Just to refresh, LiVES and Kdenlive both work with OS X but you have to do some work yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://fancinematoday.com/2009/04/16/4-free-video-editing-programs-for-mac/

HyperEngine-AV seems fairly powerful.

ZS4 also seems very powerful for a free app.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Avid Free DV (try to find a download somewhere as its discontinued), this is excellent for free software (and Avid create high end professional versions - Pinnacle Studio etc).

Avid Studio HD however is only about €60 to buy, and has a full DVD authoring suite built in.
    http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

WAX
    http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

Wax is very powerful, and is a full effects suite. Can be used as an NLE standalone.

Its difficult to recommend you anything without knowing a) your knowledge / experience in video editing and b) intended uses.

Exactly what 'more features' do you wish to have over iMovie?

There are, eh, other ways of obtaining software if needs be ssshhhh...

• Advertisement

Dublin_Gunner, your first suggestion(s) is/are good. last two suggestions only run on PC. Thats another option, to install windows via bootcamp and use editing apps from the dark side.

Hmm could have sworn Wax had osx and linux versions. Doesnt seem it does though. And bugger the old free version of Avid I think had osx versions too.

I wonder if they stopped supporting it??

You are quite correct, Avid free also ran on 10.2. Actually now you mention it I believe I have an installer for version 1 ( its 26MB, so I wont be attaching it ) which I will see about liberating to the general public.

Talisman wrote: »
    What features are you looking for? Final Cut Express is a step up from iMovie and is a fraction of the cost of Final Cut Studio. It still costs €199 though.

Thanks Talisman, but dont have that kind of money to splash out.

http://fancinematoday.com/2009/04/16/4-free-video-editing-programs-for-mac/

HyperEngine-AV seems fairly powerful.

ZS4 also seems very powerful for a free app.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Avid Free DV (try to find a download somewhere as its discontinued), this is excellent for free software (and Avid create high end professional versions - Pinnacle Studio etc).

Avid Studio HD however is only about €60 to buy, and has a full DVD authoring suite built in.
    http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

WAX
    http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

Wax is very powerful, and is a full effects suite. Can be used as an NLE standalone.

Its difficult to recommend you anything without knowing a) your knowledge / experience in video editing and b) intended uses.

Exactly what 'more features' do you wish to have over iMovie?

There are, eh, other ways of obtaining software if needs be ssshhhh...

I have tried hyperengine but it keeps crashing on me, i have xp on my macbook so might go to the darkside to test the others out.
    thanks

• Advertisement

muggyog wrote: »
    bonnieprince you are also going to have to engage your brain to resolve your problem. Just to refresh, LiVES and Kdenlive both work with OS X but you have to do some work yourself.

Muggyog - i dont have the available time to try and fiddle with this, i have produced videos in imovie previously for college projects. I am by no means an expert in any of this video editing. Trust me i have "engaged" my brain!

Muggyog - i dont have the available time to try and fiddle with this, i have produced videos in imovie previously for college projects. I am by no means an expert in any of this video editing. Trust me i have "engaged" my brain!

Try to keep to the simpler programs at first so. You might be a little puzzled by some of the more elegant solutions. Especially if you don't have time to 'fiddle' with stuff!! There can be quite a steep learning curve for a lot of the NLE programs out there, and plenty of online video tutorial watching to do!

www.creativecow.net I find indispensable for guides, tutorials, and the help forums.

OK I Have sorted my Avid Free liberation problems so I can share the application.

This app. was designed for 10.2 ( pre intel? ) so I was not sure it would install on my 10.5 Intel Mac. Validation is required during the install and details are:
    username = AvidFreeDV-BB10
    Password = AF8J-JCUS-SC7K-552H-KE7Q

It installed OK however the whole thing is very unuser friendly ( not easy to even quit from program ). It seems to be fixed on NTSC and I couldn't import MPEG's into the bin. Also lots of AvidFree unhappiness in the console. When I did manage to quit it did crash. I suspect it may work 'better' in a PPC Mac.

Here it is for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Correct me if I am wrong, but iMovie for Mac is only €11.99 in the Mac App Store. Well worth it.

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but iMovie for Mac is only €11.99 in the Mac App Store. Well worth it.

Its also free with new Macs.

Sure, its not bad for the price, but there are FAR better alternatives.

Just a quick update, I knew there was something I was forgetting!!!

Free, professional grade, Non Linear Editing

Lightworks

It used to be a pro pice of software in the 90's, then they decided to go open source, and they're at a very advanced stage now.

The King's Speech was editied with it - and was nominated for an editing oscar.

I haven't tried it in ages as the early beta's were rubbish when I did try, but its vastly improved now!

****bugger, keep forgetting you want mac stuff. Grr. Just move to PC. They're better!

Advertisement