Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

converting to autogas

• 06-03-2011 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

Would it make sense to convert to autogas now with petrol prices rising?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Would it make sense to convert to autogas now with petrol prices rising?

But when petrol prices are rising, LPG (autogas) prices will raise as well.
    As LPG is made from the same source as petrol and diesel.

I personally think, that difference in price of LPG and petrol is too small in Ireland, cost of conversion and maintenance is too big, and the network of filling stations that have LPG is way to small, to make it reasonable to convert a car to LPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've not seen a station with in-operation LPG equipment in an eternity, and I drive for a living.

http://ilpga.ie/autogas-outlets.php has a sparse list and I know for a fact that some of those don't have it anymore (Blackquarry S/S in Kilkenny is now an in-conversion Applegreen and hasn't got LPG).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,898 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's no network of any description in Ireland for it, don't think theres even one outlet selling it in Dublin. The savings you make would be eaten up driving 50 miles everytime you want to fill up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no network of any description in Ireland for it, don't think theres even one outlet selling it in Dublin. The savings you make would be eaten up driving 50 miles everytime you want to fill up.

The industry association has one retailer listed in Dublin, which is also I believe now a Petrogas Applegreen outlet without it.

Its common enough in NI, not here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

There is a station selling autogas 3.5 miles from where I live 94 cent litre. Cini0 we produce our own gas unlike the petrol and diesel we import. You can buy a tank and get gas in bulk cheaper than the pumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There is a station selling autogas 3.5 miles from where I live 94 cent litre. Cini0 we produce our own gas unlike the petrol and diesel we import. You can buy a tank and get gas in bulk cheaper than the pumps.

Are you sure that's LPG the gas you are talking about?
    LPG is a liquid gas. It's not the same gas you get from Bord Gais network.
    LPG is the one used f.e. in cigarette lighters.

94 cents a litre seems to be good price comparing to petrol at 1.50 (sorry 1.499)
    If you can only get a good conversion as descent price, and will have someone who will be able to maintain it - go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive heard from 70c a litre in Letterkenny to 1.04 on some outlet off the N3 (old Navan Dublin National route). LPG will always be cheaper than petrol as its sourced and taxed differently (lowest Carbon tax of all fossil fuels IRC). Though it is clearly unfairly taxed here.. or was when it died 15years ago when the sitting government slammed it (to make a quick tax intake windfall for themselves) with equivalent to petrol taxation bringing it too close to petrol to make sense.

Apparently you can get a bulk Autogas/Auto LPG tank installed at the home, its done in some parts of the UK that are far from the LPG station network. You enter a contract with one of the gas companies (exclusively, not like an Oil tank).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

CiniO wrote: »
    Are you sure that's LPG the gas you are talking about?
    LPG is a liquid gas. It's not the same gas you get from Bord Gais network.
    LPG is the one used f.e. in cigarette lighters.

94 cents a litre seems to be good price comparing to petrol at 1.50 (sorry 1.499)
    If you can only get a good conversion as descent price, and will have someone who will be able to maintain it - go for it.
    Yes it's LPG. They have the pump in the forecourt beside petrol and diesel. Conversion is around €1300 for my car mazda6 1.8. I do about 30k kilometer's a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

With the wide distribution of Natural Gas in Ireland i'm surprised there aren't more CNG Powered cars, Gas is slightly cheaper in Ireland than in Germany for example.

And you can buy a compressor for home and fill it at your house.

Opel do a CNG Vehicle you can buy already kitted out to run on CNG:
    http://www.autoweek.nl/autotest/1786/opel-zafira-16-cng-cosmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

ive seen renault petrol engine with auto gas system factory fitted.
    Guy couldnt use tunel from uk to france over this option.... aka safety measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ive heard from 70c a litre in Letterkenny to 1.04 on some outlet off the N3 (old Navan Dublin National route). LPG will always be cheaper than petrol as its sourced and taxed differently (lowest Carbon tax of all fossil fuels IRC). Though it is clearly unfairly taxed here.. or was when it died 15years ago when the sitting government slammed it (to make a quick tax intake windfall for themselves) with equivalent to petrol taxation bringing it too close to petrol to make sense.

Apparently you can get a bulk Autogas/Auto LPG tank installed at the home, its done in some parts of the UK that are far from the LPG station network. You enter a contract with one of the gas companies (exclusively, not like an Oil tank).

Can't get LPG in Letterkenny.

Current Donegal prices, if anyone is interested:
    Callaghans, Burt 91.9c per litre
    Fahan 99c (seems high, but got that from assistance over phone so may be incorrect)

And Drumahoe, Derry is at 74.9p

Mar4ix wrote: »
    ive seen renault petrol engine with auto gas system factory fitted.
    Guy couldnt use tunel from uk to france over this option.... aka safety measures.

Not really an Issue, the tunnel rarely gives an advantage when the crossing with ferry can be had for as little as 50 euros return.

I've never gotten the tunnel as the time benefit was only a few minutes.

The frequency is more often but its usually 2-3 times more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. The savings you make would be eaten up driving 50 miles everytime you want to fill up.

It runs a a dual tank system so you could just use petrol when your not in an area with an lpg station and fill the lpg tank whenever you are.

I dunno .. price difference doesn't really seam worth it unless you were burning A LOT of fuel.

Price difference here is 1.78 / liter for Petrol and 76 cent / liter for LPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dunno .. price difference doesn't really seam worth it unless you were burning A LOT of fuel.

Price difference here is 1.78 / liter for Petrol and 76 cent / liter for LPG.

I'd conside €1 a litre a lot. Thats a saving of €60 on every fill of a 60 litre tank.

I'd conside €1 a litre a lot. Thats a saving of €60 on every fill of a 60 litre tank.

Thats my point ... LPG isn't as efficient as Petrol, in NL its almost 1 euro / liter difference so it takes less time to recoup the cost of the installation.

In Ireland the difference is much smaller so I wonder how long it would take to recoup the cost.

I have been considering an LPG car now when I am thinking of changing.

I would not pay €1500 to have a car converted but I would buy one with it already done or factory fitted, and hopefully not pay too much of a premium for it.

It would be nice to go back to fuel thats 91c per litre.

Thats my point ... LPG isn't as efficient as Petrol, in NL its almost 1 euro / liter difference so it takes less time to recoup the cost of the installation.

In Ireland the difference is much smaller so I wonder how long it would take to recoup the cost.

You are way out of date on Irish prices! LPG is approx 80c a litre here and petrol is (still!) EUR1.69.
    Do any sort of decent distance and its mere months to break even on install cost. Install is EUR999 on 4pots and EUR1400 (approx) on 6pots.

Can use my Fuel Calc do put in the figures to see annual saving and therefore time to break even point. Just put in LPG pricing in the diesel column or something:
    fuel.netcessible.com

Where do you get LPG for 80c?

The price I got quoted in Donegal stations was 91.9c. BIG difference.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Where do you get LPG for 80c?

The price I got quoted in Donegal stations was 91.9c. BIG difference.

Last time I asked the place in Finglas was around 80c and the place in Newbridge similar. Not much good to you if you are in Donegal.. but surely in that case a hop over the border for cheap fuel is in order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Last time I asked the place in Finglas was around 80c
    Heard that price today.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/roadtests/bifuel_01on_roadtest.shtml

Another option is these Volvos which were designed in the factory to take both fuel types.

Last time I asked the place in Finglas was around 80c and the place in Newbridge similar. Not much good to you if you are in Donegal.. but surely in that case a hop over the border for cheap fuel is in order?

only available in one place close in NI, and its 74.9p per litre, which is roughly equivalent to the 91.9c price.

If you are getting it for 80c you're lucky.

Still, even at 91.9c, a lot cheaper than 169.9 for unleaded or 159.9 for diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 easyja

I'm lookin for good conversion quality. somebody knows about it?. are there more autogas station besides Finglas and Tallaght?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,506 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Whats the mpg on LPG compared to diesel / petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Whats the mpg on LPG compared to diesel / petrol?
    Lots of years ago, I think the figure bandied about was 10% less than petrol...

Not your ornery onager

colm_mcm wrote: »

thanks.
    I didn't know there are so many autogas station... I live in Tallaght, work in Navan. Guys in Tallaght sell autogas for €0,80 and also convert, but Navan prices 0,99

• Registered Users Posts: 2 syli

easyja wrote: »
    thanks.
    I didn't know there are so many autogas station... I live in Tallaght, work in Navan. Guys in Tallaght sell autogas for €0,80 and also convert, but Navan prices 0,99

where did you mount autogas system and if no secret how much did you pay for that?

• Advertisement

syli wrote: »
    where did you mount autogas system and if no secret how much did you pay for that?

with LPGAIN. can say that prices of this quality perfect

Advertisement