Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage - I'm So Happy.

Options
  • 06-03-2011 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

I loved The Savage Eye when it was on R.T.E, so much so I bought two tickets (not whan-ha dim, but 2 ha-dim ;) ) to see his show 'Dave McSavage - I'm so happy @ Vicar St in Dublin' (5th March 2011). It cost me over 50bucks, money well spent?.... erm, No, sorry to say imho.

I'm not dissen' him just giving my 2upence worth. I heard every single joke before from him, (bar the odd improv) some going back 3 years at this stage. I was really expecting something crazy funny, if you caught the savage eye on TV or his late late show stuff, then you knew the vicar st gig... backwards.

It's a pity as I think he's very very funny. Maybe it's just me been 'maxed out' with his routines. Mick 'the Bull' Daly (barman of the year) has to be my fave. He should have his own show, he could bring all the other characters Dave and his crew does into the bar..... and a'Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide them till the cows come home.

Anyway, I look forward to SE3 of the Savage Eye, lets hope it gets the go'ahed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

Seen him just this week at dkit rag week didnt think he was funny at all although some of those i was with did think he was very good some of his material is just silly childish stuff not for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was at Vicar St last night as well. Terrible, terrible gig. He spent at least 1/3rd of the show either defending his own 'jokes' or attacking the audience for being too middle class to have a sense of humour. I say 'jokes' because he seems to be under the impression that simply mentioning rape, sexual assault or vaginas is enough to qualify as a joke. I've nothing against rape jokes (or sexist, racist, dead baby or other tasteless jokes), but there needs to some cleverness or wit or some basic level of humour to make it real joke. Otherwise it's just some sad middle-aged weirdo standing on stage for an hour or so saying 'rape' as often as possible, which is exactly what this routine felt like.

The funniest bit of the show by far was when he looked at his watch and said "oh ****" when he realised he had another 10/15 minutes to go. It was also pretty funny when people at the front would get up to go to the bar/toilet and he would look at them and try to say something funny only to stop when he realised he had nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

great review in the indo about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Reminded me of a C & H comic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150755&stc=1&d=1299509367

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Ehh.. yet another internet strip (with horrible art) is rarely going to be funny at the best of times. Even the most highly regarded ones barely raise a smirk, in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

No comedian or music act is worth that kind of money. Ireland's a rip off for gigs & events and until we stop paying it nothing will change.

Also, going to a stand up based on a TV show you liked is a poor decision since they're a different medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

No comedia or music act is worth that kind of money. Ireland's a rip off for gigs & events and until we stop paying it nothing will change.

Also, going to a stand up based on a TV show you liked is a poor decision since they're a different medium.

25 quid for a ticket is fair enough. The guy has got to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

No comedian or music act is worth that kind of money. Ireland's a rip off for gigs & events and until we stop paying it nothing will change.

I saw Ardal O'Hanlon, David O'Doherty, Andrew Stanley and two other acts at the Woolshed on Monday.

Neil Delamere & Ardal O'Hanlon are playing the Bray Comedy club soon and it's €12 a ticket.

While I'd agree that some gigs are very expensive, there are some less expensive alternatives out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Not sure I'd agree with that, I've seen Pat Short do standup that was based very much on D'Unbelivebles style comedy that worked well. Similarly the Gift Grub show was extremely good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Couldn't disagree more. I usually get to about 20 comedy gigs a year in Vicar Street/Olympia where tickets are 25/30 and (apart from one or two duds) it's always well worth the price of admission. For the price of 5 pints you get to be entertained and have a great laugh for an hour or two, which is usually better than spending 25 quid in a pub or club for the same time period, and spending it shouting over the noise trying to have a conversation.

Compare a top musical act who'll charge somewhere between 70-90 for a gig and a top comedy act like Dara O'Briain or Jimmy Carr or Chris Rock who'll charge 30 for Vicar St. or The Olympia and you'll see how good the price is.(I know a couple of comedians who do the O2 charge more but they're the exception and I only know of two or three who've charged €50ish.) Also Vicar Street has been very stellar in its pricing of gigs over the years and as far as I know hasn't altered their price much in a a very long time, if at all...

I currently don't have a job but €25 is still is a great price for the entertainment, laughs and memories you'll have from a top comedy act, and I'll never have a problem paying that because I think its a very fair price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Gen:FX

If every comedy act thought like that where would they be, of course they're different mediums, trying something different and fresh is essential I think, jokes and acts can get stale real fast - (eg) that Brendan O'Carrol. The american reviewer dude that came up with a new name Bo'Cs TV Show hit the nail on the head . . . he called it a S*it-Com.
    Couldn't disagree more..... For the price of 5 pints you get to be entertained and have a great laugh for an hour or two, which is usually better than spending 25 quid in a pub or club for the same time period.....
    That's exactly my point, I didn't get a good laugh at the gig, I had better craic in my local after the gig. - The taxi driver on the way home from the gig was funnier and he only charged us 16 bucks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Gen:FX wrote: »
    That's exactly my point, I didn't get a good laugh at the gig, I had better craic in my local after the gig. - The taxi driver on the way home from the gig was funnier and he only charged us 16 bucks. :rolleyes:

And as I said you sometimes get duds, but to say that no comedy gig is worth 25 quid is what I was arguing about not about a single gig. I admitted that you get a couple of duds, but to blanket say no gig is worth 25 is something I totally disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

Went to see McSavage in Newbridge last night & agree that most of his show was a re-hash of the stuff on Savage Eye.
    However, his 'new' material was around his maritial separation, his move into a new apartment, who was living over him, the noise & shennanigans, how much he was missing his wife, how 17 years of marriage can be tedious etc etc. Sad but funny in the way only McSavage can do it.
    For the princely sum of E16 it was great value, especially as Colm O Regan was the support act & was brilliant too.
    Also, he announced that Savage Eye 3 will be broadcast in Jan 2012 & will be based on the Irish Family and all the secrets we hide. Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

stevenmu wrote: »
    II've nothing against rape jokes (or sexist, racist, dead baby or other tasteless jokes)

You probably should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Really don't get the guy the show is a rehash of jokes that have been done a million times over with a less subtle childish twist - Joe Duffy, the racist Bar man, all Gardai are culchies, Chatolic Church/Drink jokes.

Guy is pathetic compared to a quality comedian like Tommy Tiernan/ Billy Connolly, Chris Rock etc
    attacking the audience for being too middle class to have a sense of humour.

That is funnier than anything he has ever done the delicious irony of the son of a Finna fail TD from Foxrock coming out with that!

Advertisement