Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15" macbook pro and external screen

Options
  • 06-03-2011 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

hi folks, question about using, the macbook pro with an external screen

my external screen 40" has a resolution of 1920 X 1080, when i connect it to the mac, it works fine, as a second screen, however , when i set it to mirror mode, it only shows useable resolution of 1440 x 900...

in non mirror mode, it shows the full resolution, 1920X1080 and works grand however as a second screen, where i can drag stuff onto.

i assume that it seems the max resolution of my lcd on the macbook is 1440X900 ? is this right? and that prevents me from mirroring with the larger screen at 1920x1080? is this right?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ingen wrote: »
    i assume that it seems the max resolution of my lcd on the macbook is 1440X900 ? is this right? and that prevents me from mirroring with the larger screen at 1920x1080? is this right?
    Yup.

If you want to use the external monitor as the main display without having to drag things on to it, just close the lid of the Macbook with a USB keyboard and mouse attached and press any key. It will then work in closed lid mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Yup.

If you want to use the external monitor as the main display without having to drag things on to it, just close the lid of the Macbook with a USB keyboard and mouse attached and press any key. It will then work in closed lid mode.

doesent that block the cooling vent of the macbook pro? as the vent is only open when the screen is up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ingen wrote: »
    doesent that block the cooling vent of the macbook pro? as the vent is only open when the screen is up
    This was a problem with older machines, but the current unibody MBPs have their vent at the back so afaik it shouldn't be an issue. Apple fully support using the Macbook in closed-lid mode.

Advertisement