Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby's first pokéball

Options
  • 06-03-2011 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there, I know next to nothing about Pokémon so I hope I don't sound too ignorant, but my 6 year old has recently become obsessed since catching his first Pokémon on my brothers venerable Gameboy Advance. As I'm too tight-fisted to buy him a games console, I need something to quench his poké-mania until he has saved up enough pocket-money to buy one for himself (hopefully within the next decade or so :-p ). After a week of constantly having red and white ping pong balls lobbed at me I've finally taken the hint, but there are so many books and DVDs out there that I'm a bit confused... what would you suggest for a new Pokémon fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

buy some of the old games for GB/ GBA.... they can be found cheap enough on e-bay...if you're ok with 2nd hand or ones without boxes.

Kids love the cards ..especially if you can be sure to get a few shiny ones in.

Does he like to watch the show or just play the game? I never liked the show much even as a kid \:.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hop on ebay and pick up a gameboy advance. They sell for around a tenner, then spend about another tenner and get him one of the games. So for around €20/25 you could pick up a console and game. Or the old fat DS's are selling for around €35/40 so you could pick up one of those either. The DS pokémon games are a little bit more expensive but should get them for around €15 each. You don't need to go spending a lot of money for a games console!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Amazon and HMV does DVDs of Pokemon Chronicles pretty cheaply. These are "special" episodes without Ash. Kind of a what happens in the world when Ash isn't around. In my opinion these are a lot better and entertaining than the main series.

If you want cheapish second hand consoles try your local Cash Convertors or what ever they are called these days. They generally have Pokemon games at rather good prices.

If this is your lad's first game I'd recommend either Leaf Green or Fire Red versions (these are Game Boy Advance games but can be played on a DS). These games where designed with beginners in mind and have a handy help menu that can be called upon at any time

There's a lot of Pokemon and Pokethings, but just like any new hobby take it bit by bit to begin with. Ease into the hobby and you wouldn't be disappointed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

If you want cheapish second hand consoles try your local Cash Convertors or what ever they are called these days. They generally have Pokemon games at rather good prices.

WHY am I only learning this now!?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Urizen wrote: »
    WHY am I only learning this now!?

Because the ones here arent half as good as the ones in the uk :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patmorita

Thanks to everyone who replied, there's a whole butt-load of Pokémon stuff available so it's really helpful to get some pointers! I'm currently chasing a GBA on eBay (as for those Cash Converter-type places - I'm quite scared of them, I always worry that someone will mug me and steal my shoes, or maybe even my ugly woollen hat that looks like a boob if they are really desperate), I have a knack for destroying technology so fingers crossed I get one that works!

patmorita wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who replied, there's a whole butt-load of Pokémon stuff available so it's really helpful to get some pointers! I'm currently chasing a GBA on eBay (as for those Cash Converter-type places - I'm quite scared of them, I always worry that someone will mug me and steal my shoes, or maybe even my ugly woollen hat that looks like a boob if they are really desperate), I have a knack for destroying technology so fingers crossed I get one that works!

Most of the gameboys are fairly indestructable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

If you're in Dublin - The Rage on Fade St. normally have a couple of gameboy advance consoles in, decent price as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wait a minute... Fade street is real?

Be careful of buying GBA games from E-Bay - if it's priced under a fiver it's probably fake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Banjo wrote: »
    Wait a minute... Fade street is real?
    I prefer to call it 'Street of Rage' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

ghostchant wrote: »
    I prefer to call it 'Street of Rage' :p

Was that you punching the bins on Fade St and eating the chickens that fell out?

Advertisement