Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with .Mac account.

Options
  • 06-03-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey guys.
    I really want to set up a FREE .Mac account (eg. smashbox@mac.com) but I'm having problems on doing so.

Firstly I've tried using Google but I've had no luck. Secondly, I've tried to get an Apple ID but have used my old hotmail email address to do so, but I would love to use my @mac account as my main email account.

Thanks in advance. :p

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

.Mac is long gone. It's called MobileMe now and it's not free anymore. You should be able to get a 30 day trial on the MobileMe site or through your Mac's MobileMe preferences.

Apple have stopped selling retail boxes of MobileMe though so another overhaul/rebranding of the service is probably imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Well the reason I ask is I have a problem with my Apple ID account.
    So I got a new MacBook yesterday and began setting it up using the automatic setup assistant when you first turn it on.
    It automatically enabled me to create an Apple ID for myself (eg. smashbox@mac.com) ending in @mac.com and I entered a password.

Problem: I either cannot remember the password or the account has not been set up correctly, I'm not sure.
    Therefore I can't set up my Mail yet on my MacBook.
    When I tried to find out what my Apple ID was, I realised that when signing up for it I never put down my email address so they cannot send me the password via another email address.
    When I tried the other way of reseting my password it said (type in your DOB) it said that mine did not match the one they had on records.
    I'm so confused.

I would like my @mac.com account to be my main email address but can't access it.
    I need to use it for iChat and mail on my MacBook also.

Please help ASAP.

Thank you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just create a new Apple ID through iTunes.

Like I said above, @mac is gone. There's no point using MobileMe as your main email unless you are willing to pay for it. If you have lost the details of your trial account just create a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Ok well I thought you still could get .mac accounts as they give you the option between @mac.com/@me.com (mobile me).

Ok is there any other domain supplied by Apple (eg. @apple.com) or any cool one you know of? I don't wait gmail, yahoo or hotmail as my name is already taken under those domains!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    Ok is there any other domain supplied by Apple (eg. @apple.com) or any cool one you know of? I don't wait gmail, yahoo or hotmail as my name is already taken under those domains!

If you pay for MobileMe, you can get smashbox@me.com (unless it's already taken).

To clarify, setting up an Apple ID doesn't give you an email address from Apple, only MobileMe provides one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

Looks like the only way to get an Apple related mail extension is to get a job with them!
    Plenty of free web mail accounts out there. Generally if you want a 'cool' one you have to pay for it.

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    Ok well I thought you still could get .mac accounts as they give you the option between @mac.com/@me.com (mobile me).
    I think you are mistaken about this. MobileMe doesn't offer a choice between @mac and @me. It's @me.com only. The only people who have @mac accounts are those who signed up prior to the transition to @me over 2 years ago.

However, it's possible that iChat or something asks you which domain you have when you are entering your account settings, so maybe that's what you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I have a new MobileMe account in my business name as well as an old .Mac account in my personal name, and there is a difference between the old .Mac and the new MobileMe accounts:

My old .Mac account is personalname@mac.com, but I can now (since the MobileMe migration) also use personalname@me.com as well.

Last year, I wanted a business name MobileMe account, so I bought a family account in the business name (businessname@me.com) and migrated the personalname@mac.com into it, as one of the family members.

The difference is that the new account (businessname@me.com) cannot use businessname@mac.com. This is the case whether or not it is a Family or Individual account.

Advertisement