Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeat lc students

Options
  • 06-03-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey guys new here first post
    I'm sitting my leaving cert in june and i'm going okay in most subjects .
    However I feel i'm doing (OL) in subjects that I'm more than capable of doing in (Hl) such as English,Business Studies,Construction and Geography and possibly History. At the start of the year when asked what levels we are picking I just said ordinary putting no thought into what so ever.
    The reality is now it's way too late to change and as a result when I tried filling out the Cao form I came up blank because by doing all ordinary I couldn't make the points. So thats why Im considering repeating the Leaving cert in a one year course in a school for repeat Leaving cert students next year. That's one factor for my reasons for repeating another being I don't have a clear indication in my mind of what course I actually want to do. Another being I don't think I'm really ready or mature enough for college just yet. As my school doesn't do 4th year I only did five years of secondary school so it wouldn't in that sence be a year wasted.
    If anyone here has suggestions or has repeated the Leaving cert I would love some advice many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i think that before you full decide to do this, talk to your teachers about it because while you might think you are capable of doing honours in your subjects, the reality might be that you just mightened be able for it. also in our school Transition year is optional. i didnt do it so i too have spent 5 years in secondry yet im perfectly ready to go to college, without sounding cocky like. of courese on the other hend if you really have no clue as to what you want to do after college, then the extra year might do you some good.

hope ive helped! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 irelandfan

:)yeah cheers much help I will talk with the teachers in subjects that I'm considering doing Higher in next year if I do repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'd given up on my Leaving cert first time around at about March. Had 4 honours mind, but wanted Medicine. BUUT, I decided I'd work hard to do as best as I could in those subjects, so I'd have less to do when I repeated and more time for the subjects I'd be picking up etc. Worked out well. Just work really hard your repeat year, if you do repeat, and you never know what you can achieve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

irelandfan, I don't want to put you off... But subjects like Irish, Maths and Geography have a new course... one you are going to have to pick up... take that into consideration. :S

theowen wrote: »
    I'd given up on my Leaving cert first time around at about March. Had 4 honours mind, but wanted Medicine. BUUT, I decided I'd work hard to do as best as I could in those subjects, so I'd have less to do when I repeated and more time for the subjects I'd be picking up etc. Worked out well. Just work really hard your repeat year, if you do repeat, and you never know what you can achieve ;)

If you don't mind me asking did you up your points by much the second time round?

• Advertisement

apkbarry wrote: »
    irelandfan, I don't want to put you off... But subjects like Irish, Maths and Geography have a new course... one you are going to have to pick up... take that into consideration. :S

Yeah I'm aware of that I know that they've brought in project maths and the irish oral is worth 40% of the overall grade as far as im aware. Didn't know Geography had a new course also but I could also drop it and take another subject up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

irelandfan wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking did you up your points by much the second time round?
    Yeapz, from 400 to 560. Killed myself studying, ended up with 6 honours. You can do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Are you able to get a diploma on any of the points you might get?

I think more people need to do diplomas before they go straight into a degree. The diploma would almost certainly lead into to a degree though (i.e. run inside the same faculty with overlap with degree in some cases).

Your guidance councilor might have more info.

Advertisement