Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fear Factor

Options
  • 06-03-2011 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

OK. About all this recycling and paying for your "green bin " to be taken away. If i buy a cup of coffee in a shop I pay for the coffee and the carton
    it came in, so the manufactuer and the shop keeper have added on their cut
    and they both make money then I put it in my green bin and I pay some one
    to take it away, then they bring it some where and they get payed for
    disposing of it. OK but I the comsumer are the only one in this whole chain not getting anything for recycling. Why don't i just burn it myself? Well
    its because i have been brain washed into some kind of fear that I must do this to save the planet, while big business is making all the money. Does anyone see where I am coming from?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Put the coffee container in a public bin,dont carry it home.

I can see what your trying to get people up in arms about but to be honest its a very silly argument to get worked up about.
    If your worried about "big business" buy your coffee from a local vendor not a chain.

I dont see how anybody would have a problem with recycling,noone is forcing you to drink coffee of buy anything prepackaged,its your choice so deal with the consequences of your choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 last man standing

Sorry that's not what i am saying exactly. What i am saying is everybody
    out side of the consumer is making money from the idea of recycling and yes
    i do believe that recycling is a good idea but the more fear that is put on people the more we seem to forget who is making form this. Everything that
    we buy is packaged, local vendor or not. The point is if business or who ever
    is saying that they are doing their bit to save the planet they are still making from the idea. I just believe that it's a fear factor when it comes to the public. If the governments or who ever care as they say and the public are doing their bit in "the chain" ,Why not give tax relief or something back to the
    supplier, ie the consumer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

...everybody out side of the consumer is making money from the idea of recycling and yes i do believe that recycling is a good idea but the more fear that is put on people the more we seem to forget who is making form this.

It sounds as though you believe the recycling agenda is in some sense sinister? If the fear factor you speak of exists, then surely businesses are just as liable to be affected by it as the average consumer? After all, businesses can incur large fines if they fail to adhere to certain environmental policies.
    Do you think it a bad thing if a business profits from recycling? And if so (although I'd like to be shown some evidence that this is the case), would it not be worse were it the other way around, i.e. if they profited from not recycling?

I hope I'm not missing your point.

Sorry that's not what i am saying exactly. What i am saying is everybody
    out side of the consumer is making money from the idea of recycling and yes
    i do believe that recycling is a good idea but the more fear that is put on people the more we seem to forget who is making form this. Everything that
    we buy is packaged, local vendor or not. The point is if business or who ever
    is saying that they are doing their bit to save the planet they are still making from the idea. I just believe that it's a fear factor when it comes to the public. If the governments or who ever care as they say and the public are doing their bit in "the chain" ,Why not give tax relief or something back to the
    supplier, ie the consumer!!
    companies do there part by using recycled material for there packaging or less packaging.
    Ive never seen a company claim that there enviromentally friendly due to there customers disposing of there packaging properly,they say there enviromentally friendly by changing there packaging an cutting down on waste

I honestly think your making an issue out of nothing and again theres no reason why you cant buy all your veg/meat from a local greengrocers/butcher and take your own bags with you in order to survive.
    Its your choice to buy that frozen pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 last man standing

No you are not missing the point. In fact you do bring up a good case for
    recycling.First of all i wasn't trying to get anybody up in arms,that was not
    my intention. However to use the word sinister might be the wrong word but what i am trying to point out is that the recycling issue is driven by The fear
    thenfactor and i think to a large degree its driven to make money out of it rather saving the planet. What i believe is, is not to be driven by fear for the sake
    of other people making money from it. I know brought up the point about the
    customer not getting paid but i was just trying to point out the consumer was in the middle of the fear factor. Yes i agree we have the choice to
    buy local but its not always just waste from your local shop. My point was the Fear factor being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

how does the manufacturer make money here ...

Yeah im bit miffed as to how the companies make money from "the fear"

Advertisement