Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groups of women screeching and screaming

Options
  • 06-03-2011 12:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

When Justin Bieber appear on a tv show or Robert Patisson walks down the red carpet at a movie premiere or when some boyband appears on stage or even at hen nights and stuff like that - groups of women go absolutely mental, screaming and screeching and also fainting as they trample over each other to get a glimpse of some celebrity or other - I am not slagging these groups of women off, they can do whatever they want but as a male I struggle to understand that level of excitement (if it is indeed genuine excitement or just following the herd or posturing). I mean, I thought males were supposed to be the more visually stiimulated creatures yet that kind of reaction is rare with males. If some stunner walks on to a tv show or a girlband gets on stage you might get a few wolf whistles or a few "I'd do her" comments whispered between friends but there is no stampede, there is no collective hysteria. So my question is why do women tend to react in that way more so than men?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

No real women in those groups. 15-year-old jailbait perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

The smell of money sends them into a frenzy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Its usually in my experience a form of taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You should see a Bruce spingstein conncert so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

ah well you see, you raise an interesting point......the screeching and screaming of he 12-17 year old age group of young ladies manipulated by marketing forces into making mummy and daddy buying them the merchandise for the latest bright young thing is one thing but I have noticed this behaviour spread across all ages of womanhood

• Advertisement

Its usually in my experience a form of taking the piss.

we'll take an example and maybe american culture is part of this too, but imagine someone like timberlake walks onto the ellen show, then you'll see the 99% female crowd of ages ranging from 18=50 go absolutely mental......even on the late late show if some boyband or good-looking actor comes on you'll hear whooping and hollering from many females in the audience of all ages (more restrained than the american shows mind)...yet this doesn't really occur when good-looking females go onto these shows, the males don't scream and screech and go mad - why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I don't understand it either. For instance, here they are screaming for the once popular beat combo Nirvana. I personally didn't find them to be something to get overly excited about.

donfers wrote: »
    the males don't scream and screech and go mad - why?
    Their voices are too deep?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Its a bit ridiculous alright. That kind of squealing is nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

bonerm wrote: »
    I don't understand it either. For instance, here they are screaming for the once popular beat combo Nirvana. I personally didn't find them to be something to get overly excited about.

Imagine the clean-up afterwards. Pee soaked seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭amacca

many human groups of any gender tend to act in fairly pathetic ways..I've noticed and labeled several unattractive group modes in my capacity as self commissioned anthropological researcher

these are not entirely gender or age specific btw but just tend to be attached to the below groupings more often in my experience

men: lecherous leering or boisterous aggressive or intimidating aggressive

women: cackling harpy or giggling furtive or intimidating unladylike

girls: screaming hysterical

boys: loud unfunny

I shall leave organized crime groupings out of my classification for the sake of this analysis.

I do not as yet have a comprehensive explanation for these as yet OP but I shall offer a tentative theory - when us humans get into a group there is always some sort of de facto leader to which we abdicate all responsibility - being a human this "leader" is more than likely a complete arsehole but emboldened by so many followers he or she is more freed up to not grip the reins so tightly and to act upon their baser desires no matter how silly/disgusting/unattractive they may be.

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

I scream and screech every time Jessica Alba appears on TV.

The girlfriend fucking hates it though

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Men scream when they see me all the time.

I don't think it's intended as a compliment though.

amacca wrote: »
    many human groups of any gender tend to act in fairly pathetic ways..I've noticed and labeled several unattractive group modes in my capacity as self commissioned anthropological researcher

these are not entirely gender or age specific btw but just tend to be attached to the below groupings more often in my experience

men: lecherous leering or boisterous aggressive or intimidating aggressive

women: cackling harpy or giggling furtive or intimidating unladylike

girls: screaming hysterical

boys: loud unfunny

I shall leave organized crime groupings out of my classification for the sake of this analysis.

I do not as yet have a comprehensive explanation for these as yet OP but I shall offer a tentative theory - when us humans get into a group there is always some sort of de facto leader to which we abdicate all responsibility - being a human this "leader" is more than likely a complete arsehole but emboldened by so many followers he or she is more freed up to not grip the reins so tightly and to act upon their baser desires no matter how silly/disgusting/unattractive they may be.

I hope this helps!

good post, very true

therefore we can conclude that loners are more charismatic, interesting and noble examp,es of humanity

good post, very true

therefore we can conclude that loners are more charismatic, interesting and noble examp,es of humanity

Indeed..but it would be advisable to not attribute these characteristics to all loners.

some may be psychotic axe murders etc

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

when us humans get into a group there is always some sort of de facto leader to which we abdicate all responsibility - being a human this "leader" is more than likely a complete arsehole but emboldened by so many followers he or she is more freed up to not grip the reins so tightly and to act upon their baser desires no matter how silly/disgusting/unattractive they may be.
    Are you referring to colonel gaddafi?

we'll take an example and maybe american culture is part of this too, but imagine someone like timberlake walks onto the ellen show, then you'll see the 99% female crowd of ages ranging from 18=50 go absolutely mental......even on the late late show if some boyband or good-looking actor comes on you'll hear whooping and hollering from many females in the audience of all ages (more restrained than the american shows mind)...yet this doesn't really occur when good-looking females go onto these shows, the males don't scream and screech and go mad - why?

Men cant screech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

When Justin Bieber appear on a tv show or Robert Patisson walks down the red carpet at a movie premiere or when some boyband appears on stage or even at hen nights and stuff like that - groups of women go absolutely mental, screaming and screeching and also fainting as they trample over each other to get a glimpse of some celebrity or other - I am not slagging these groups of women off, they can do whatever they want but as a male I struggle to understand that level of excitement (if it is indeed genuine excitement or just following the herd or posturing). I mean, I thought males were supposed to be the more visually stiimulated creatures yet that kind of reaction is rare with males. If some stunner walks on to a tv show or a girlband gets on stage you might get a few wolf whistles or a few "I'd do her" comments whispered between friends but there is no stampede, there is no collective hysteria. So my question is why do women tend to react in that way more so than men?

Same reason us fellas say stuff like "nice legs, I WOULD BANG HER! NICE RACK!" and so on to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

As a girl I feel no need to scream at the sight of members of the opposite sex regardless of how attractive they might be. I don't understand why others do this.

Men cant screech.

We can, trust me, we can. ;)

• Advertisement

Men cant screech.

Grab your boyfriends testacles and tell me that's true

Are you referring to colonel gaddafi?

not specifically no

in my pseudoscience (of only quasicorrectness I might add) I would classify Gaddafi as belonging to the genus dictatorus militarius

only a select trusted few get to behave in a way even approaching the disgusting fashion the dictator does .... unlike the screaming hordes of nitwits that follow the leader of their own volition in our everyday social groupings.

in many ways the dictator is the ultimate loner of the axe wielding variety mentioned above.....and not a leader at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

my capacity as self commissioned anthropological researcher

Like it! :D

Thats durty.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Or his testicles, now that would get a screech............:pac:

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Or his testicles, now that would get a screech............:pac:

It doesn't. It just gets a nice "that all you got?!" from me. :P

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Like it! :D

good

perhaps you would like to purchase a copy of my new book entitled

"humanity: all youse ever wanted to know but was afraid to ask...shizzle"

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

What really gets me are the girls who are screaming on a night out for no apparent reason. I don't care that you're out and I don't want to hear your screeching while I enjoy my night out. Idiots. :mad:

ok back to the anthropological discussions now folks, we are far beyond (i hope) the awkward pre-pubescent banter of the lovelorn teen

incidentally on the subject of squeezing testicles I am firmly on the intensely painful side of the spectrum, it's about as erotic as a grandparent in the bath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Good post from Dr. Amacca.

Of course the onus is also on these besotted women / girls to attract this desirable male's attention, and for each of them to encourage him to let her be the one that he "approaches". Most of the females who squeal and scream are usually dolled / girlied up to the max in a bid to heighten their feminity and hopefully catch this fellow's eye; then when the "celeb" appears and they realise that they haven't been noticed by him (they might be one of a hundred similar girls there), they become overwhelmed by their own helplessness and and start squealing and screeching.

Of course it is another (albeit extreme) way to express their feminity too. Maybe in that moment they come to be of the opinion that whoever shrieks at the highest, girliest pitch will somehow be perceived as the most attractive to this male "celeb".

Advertisement