Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurocode Design

Options
  • 05-03-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

The Eurocodes have been around for some time, and as of April 2010 the British Standards have been withdrawn. Have many people partially or fully switched from the BS? In my office we still design to the BS 95% of the time. I have no objection to designing via Eurocode and I have been on numerous courses, but I can't practically design without the aid of software. Project changes and deadlines would not permit repeating hand calcs. The Concrete Society spreadsheets are great but I'm slightly reserved about doing some design to EC and the rest in BS.

What do you guys do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

Still using BS, and intend to do so for as long as possible. It's just what I'm used to.

You're not obliged, legally or otherwise, to design to any one code (unless your client specifically requests that you do so - i.e a government job where they say we've spent so much money on this **** we want to benefit from the economies available within same). But to be honest, your design will be your design regardless - the Eiffel Tower was designed without any codes as were many other structures which are still standing. First principles will always apply.

Personally I think the EC are a load of overcomplicated nonsense, complete waste of money in my opinion. Do you know how much it cost to develop this series of design codes.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

My take on the Eurocodes is that they are clearly designed to be implemented on computer. The number of factors involved make hand calculation more painful than before, especially where the process is iterative. I don't mind that as long as you have a grounding in the subject.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

The concern is that the government departments start insisting on using the Eurocode. It is far more suited to software than hand calcs. I was at a lecture a few months ago and they guy from NSAI was saying that we have the lowest purchase of all the EU nations for Eurocode, and that foreign companies wil gain an advantage. TBH, unless it's a big job I don't think foreign companies have much of a chance. I can't picture a time when a French consultancy starts doing house extensions in Donnybrook. There are so many local issues to work with, technical and practical. I would love to hear the conversation when the builder says the house has no foundations and the Architect doesn't want any columns or any steel used on the project.
    Still using BS, and intend to do so for as long as possible. It's just what I'm used to.

You're not obliged, legally or otherwise, to design to any one code (unless your client specifically requests that you do so - i.e a government job where they say we've spent so much money on this **** we want to benefit from the economies available within same). But to be honest, your design will be your design regardless - the Eiffel Tower was designed without any codes as were many other structures which are still standing. First principles will always apply.

Personally I think the EC are a load of overcomplicated nonsense, complete waste of money in my opinion. Do you know how much it cost to develop this series of design codes.....?

Advertisement