Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol free wine

Options
  • 05-03-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for alcohol free red wine.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tesco used to sell de-alcoholized wine, but TBH its not worth buying, better to get Amé or some other fruit based drink.

The supermarkets do Sutter Home alcohol free merlot. There is also a cheap German one called Carl Jung in Dunnes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

you can get one called Ariel too. Carl Jung is the other one I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Piri wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking for alcohol free red wine.

WHY?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No1J wrote: »
    WHY?

That's none of your business. If you have nothing useful to add, then don't bother posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

WHY?

Why not?

OP - Most supermarkets & offies will have some.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Why not?

OP - Most supermarkets & offies will have some.

Agreed. Is it for personal consumption or function, if the later I can suggest some contacts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

OP - Have you ever tasted it before? Generally, non-alcoholic wine isn't great as the presence of alcohol is one of the most important aspects of appreciating the taste and aroma of a wine.

If it's for a party or something a nice pressé or Amé as suggested below would go down better in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

WHY?
    As I have a cancer and can not drink alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Hi OP,
    I am pregnant at the mo and am off alcohol too. (best of luck with your treatments by the way)

I love red wine, so wanted to try the alco-free versions.. I tried a sutter home one, and free one and a german one that was on offer in supervalu... all three were awful! It was like they took out the taste and just left the heartburn. I have heard that Tesco do a red grape juice that is meant to be ok.

• Advertisement

I need the wine as wine has enzymes that is not in grape juice Temperature over 47 Celsius is killing all So that is why de alcoholised wine is better than juice

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I came across these links - they might be of some help?

www.alcoholfree.co.uk

http://www.obrienswine.ie/Non-Alcohol/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I need the wine as wine has enzymes

Eh?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Eh?
    Yes it is true . No enzymes over 47 Celsius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Yes it is true . No enzymes over 47 Celsius

If it is resveratrol you're after, you can get them as a supplement.

These people stock quite a few and ship to Ireland.

http://www.lono.co.uk/wine-red-c-61_83_62.html

If it is resveratrol you're after, you can get them as a supplement.

Supplements are never as good as original ones.

That is in the seeds and most of grapes here sold seedless only

"We do not currently ship to any country outside the UK."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Alcohol is the preservative in wine so I would be wary about buying dealcoholised wine as a lot of preservatives would have to be added to keep it from spoiling, that may cancel out any benefits. Red grape juice has a similar resveratrol content as red wine and no doubt it would be considerably more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Alcohol is the preservative in wine so I would be wary about buying dealcoholised wine as a lot of preservatives would have to be added to keep it from spoiling, that may cancel out any benefits. Red grape juice has a similar resveratrol content as red wine and no doubt it would be considerably more palatable.
    I love my few glasses of red wine but there have been a few times in the last few years where I've gone for the de-alcoholised version and they were disastrous. I never suffer from hangovers but I remember suffering from bad hangovers after drinking small amounts of de-alcoholised wine - maybe it's because they are highly processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Dunnes had two types last time I checked (for a pregnant woman). Carl Jung was one of them. Both tasted too odd for my liking. Even after putting the "white wine" in the freezer for 20 mins. Freezering normally makes non-alcoholic beer or bad lager more palatable for me - but couldn't improve this wine.

• Advertisement

Lads, I am not gonna drinking for its taste -:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Lads, I am not gonna drinking for its taste -:)

Well if that is the case then just drink grape juice. Simples. It contains what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 etandc

Piri
    Have you tried Natureo by Torres. you get buy it from http://sansinwines.co.uk. In a blind wine tasting no one could tell it was alcohol free!:)

etandc wrote: »
    Piri
    Have you tried Natureo by Torres. you get buy it from http://sansinwines.co.uk. In a blind wine tasting no one could tell it was alcohol free!:)
    Thanks for the info but
    I need red wine
    have not found yet...

etandc wrote: »
    Piri

Dunnes stock that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 etandc

Ariel produce a fairly nice Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
    There is also Domaine De Fleur which produce a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Merlot.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I asked a few of the Cork wine people about it.

Michael in Bradley's on North Main st said he doesn't have it, but if someone was asking about it he could do it.
    You can give him a call on 021 4270845 or call into the shop and talk to him, he's there pretty much all the time.

best of luck!

(I'm not affiliated with any wine suppliers btw, just know them to talk to)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Superquinn sell Carl Jung de-alcoholised White and Red wine. They also sell small bottles of de-alcoholised wine for cooking which im sure can be used for drinking too.

Thanks for the info but
    I need red wine
    have not found yet...[/QU

Was the Amber service station not able to help you or are they the wrong side of town for you?
    Here is another one, Riordan's Super Value are stocking Carl Jung red all the time and if you contact Michael Louis their wine buyer Super Value also stock Ariel and he could order it for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement