Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you get good trout on the fly

Options
  • 05-03-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

does any one get good brown trout on the fly i have only ever got 2 good trout on the fly but i have cought loads of small trout but no big ones i got loads big sea trout on the fly but no big brown trout. i fish the river lee and i use the right flys but i just can not catch good trout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It's rare enough to catch big trout on the fly. I know people that have fished for years and never caught anything over 3-4 pound

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Its getting hard to catch any trout the last few seasons on the fly,last year was very bad little or no fly life on the river .We got a problem with dace where i fish and they just seem to take anything put infront of them ,going to try very small flies this year just to see ,biggest i caught was just over a pound on the barrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i am on about 1lb + trout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I've spent a lot of time specimen hunting good trout and they are not easy at all! You are trying to catch the old wise surviving soldier who has somehow dodged all the life ending tricks anglers use for years.

Is it a confirmed big trout water? Have you caught big trout in that water on other methods? If not it could be because they are not there or other anglers have killed them smaller before they got as big as they might have if returned to grow.

Big trout don't really eat flies all that much. They bottom feed on crustaceans and fish. So shrimp, freshwater louse, crayfish and fish are most effective. Try suitable flies for big trout eg streamers.

Big trout are not daytime feeders being averse to bright light. Try the hours of low light and darkness.

Big trout are people averse too. In lakes they are boat averse. They need a special stalk if the angler does not have cover of darkness.

If your fly fishing technique is insect imitation. Are the hatches heavy enough andnthe insects large enough to bring big trout up, or does this only happen a few occasions during the season, like mayfly, or sedge time. If so it's necessary to fish then.

If you are fly fishing imitations of small insects your hooks or tippets could be geared for normal trout. They must be capable of surviving what happens during the 5 minutes after you finally hook the big one.

coolwings wrote: »
    I've spent a lot of time specimen hunting good trout and they are not easy at all! You are trying to catch the old wise surviving soldier who has somehow dodged all the life ending tricks anglers use for years.

Is it a confirmed big trout water? Have you caught big trout in that water on other methods? If not it could be because they are not there or other anglers have killed them smaller before they got as big as they might have if returned to grow.

Big trout don't really eat flies all that much. They bottom feed on crustaceans and fish. So shrimp, freshwater louse, crayfish and fish are most effective. Try suitable flies for big trout eg streamers.

Big trout are not daytime feeders being averse to bright light. Try the hours of low light and darkness.

Big trout are people averse too. In lakes they are boat averse. They need a special stalk if the angler does not have cover of darkness.

If your fly fishing technique is insect imitation. Are the hatches heavy enough andnthe insects large enough to bring big trout up, or does this only happen a few occasions during the season, like mayfly, or sedge time. If so it's necessary to fish then.

If you are fly fishing imitations of small insects your hooks or tippets could be geared for normal trout. They must be capable of surviving what happens during the 5 minutes after you finally hook the big one.

the river is over fished the biggest trout i got on it was about 2 and a half pound on minnow the averige is about 10 inches the biggest trout in the last few years was 4lb and was released it is a good salmon river though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If it is a good salmon river it is good enough for big trout too.
    The new population of dace will have made trout fewer due to food competition with young trout, but raised the size of the biggest trout in the river because the big trout will hunt the dace.

coolwings wrote: »
    If it is a good salmon river it is good enough for big trout too.
    The new population of dace will have made trout fewer due to food competition with young trout, but raised the size of the biggest trout in the river because the big trout will hunt the dace.

thare is no dace in this river and the only place thare are big trout is up by the dam i just got into the club this year so i should get trout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

A mate and myself only fish the fly and I've had trout of over a pound from the Dodder. He got a beautiful brownie that was a hair over 5 pounds near Killarney. As Coolwings said, big trout don't get big by being easy to catch. They are out there but you really need to do your homework to stand any chance of hooking one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

there is plenty of them there and can be caught if you know what you are at. the barrow has lots of big browns . you could nearly bank on getting a decent fish over a pound if you know what your doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paburke

I think the rivers are over fished . I think all fish caught on the fly should be released .
    Sure ye can nip into tesco on the way home a get a nice bit of trout cleaned and ready to eat for a few euro if ye are mad about the taste.

Let the river fish back into the water to spawn and get bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

A mate and myself only fish the fly and I've had trout of over a pound from the Dodder. He got a beautiful brownie that was a hair over 5 pounds near Killarney. As Coolwings said, big trout don't get big by being easy to catch. They are out there but you really need to do your homework to stand any chance of hooking one.

just wondering what river did he manage that from? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

catching big wily trout is easier done late evening, dusk, dark and early dawn .......they feed better at this time and very improtantly they wont see YOU as quick during those times.........if you like the pub and the cot....well its the little lads for you :D:D

Advertisement