Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling around and informing bank

Options
  • 05-03-2011 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi, i will be travelling quite a lot in next 2 week, Sweden, Finland,Cyprus,Turkey.

Should i inform my bank in advance, thinking ab. using my Visa Debit card there,
    Have heard some stories that you cant withdraw money and use pos, if bank suspects that the card might not be in the cardholders hand. (when travelling)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Vespy

I think banks dont block cards/transactions, unless travel time was impossible (like Ireland-China in 2h). AiB also immidiately rings ur mobile (happened to me few weeks ago) when they became suspicious about transactions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd ring or email them to discuss. They all have big fraud units now.

If they can store your itinerary on your file it'll save them work in the long run if you pop up on their suspicious transactions report.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh ive just reread your counties, you'll probably be okay.

I know I had problems when I was in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

You should call the card department and advise them where you will be, as with all the card fraud going on at the moment it would be safer to let them know that you are out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes, Fraud detection systems can throw up false positives and it can be a nuisance to resolve - tell them in advance and then it wont cause you a problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement