Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager Golden Record

Options
  • 05-03-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey,

I was listening to John Kelly on Lyric and he was playing a little Bach and it reminded me of the Voyager space probes that were sent on their mission to find new worlds and new civilisations and which amongst many other things contained recordings of some of Earth's finest music. This music was mostly classical in nature (the opening track is Bach's 'Brandenburg Concerto No. 2' ) although there were some samples of other genres in there; 'Johnny B. Goode' by Chuck Berry, some native chants from various peoples.

The full tracklist can be seen here:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/music.html

Anyway I really wanted to make it up as a playlist on iTunes but when I saw that it contained various sound-files that would be essentially impossible to get my hands on, I was hoping it might have been available on CD once and floating around the net somewhere.
    However, it ain't. Trust me I looked.

The playlist was released as a CD accompanying a Carl Sagan book on the contents of the 'Golden Record' in 1992. But the book is long out of print and any second hand copies invariably don't have the CD.

Anyone have any idea how I could get my hands on as much of this CD as possible? If anyone had/has access to the original CD that would be ideal (although I appreciate this is unlikely).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

I found quite a lot of links to "Murmurs of Earth" which seems to have all the available tracks from various downloadable sources.

Advertisement