Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrades in contracts ever year Question

Options
  • 04-03-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I am in a job working a 21 hour contract.

Now i am in the job 5 years and well 2 years ago was the first time I was offered a upgrade in my hours to a 48 hour upgrade.

At the time due to personal reasons I said no to the contract.

That was 2 years ago......

I am not the only person in this boat 20 of us started 5 years ago 4 of us got full time contracts the rest did not.

Is there any law to say a job must offered you a chance of a upgrade in contract ever year ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IIs there any law to say a job must offered you a chance of a upgrade in contract ever year ?

to be blunt, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

In my job basically people that start after us have seemed to get jobs over most of the staff.

People that have family in the job.

Is that no illegal ?

So Im 5 years in the job there has been staff that started a year after me and he is a 48 hour contract and I am still a 21.

That is not right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You refused the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In my job basically people that start after us have seemed to get jobs over most of the staff.

People that have family in the job.

Is that no illegal ?

So Im 5 years in the job there has been staff that started a year after me and he is a 48 hour contract and I am still a 21.

That is not right at all.

It's only illegal if they're discriminating on the basis of age, gender, race ... or the other things on the list. Who you're related to isn't on the list, so it's fine to discriminate on the basis of it. If it was a public-service organisation, some people might say that it's not morally right (and there's probably a law about it too), but I'm picking it's private sector.

What have your performance reviews been like? Are you contributing to the company above and beyond the job? Have you tried asking your manager about the chance of getting more hours? Can you demonstrate 5 years worth of knowledge and skills learning, or have you really done one year five times over?

(sorry to sound harsh, but I think you're being unrealistic).

Well basically I started 5 years ago and in 5 years there is staff I could count 4 staff at least that started a year after me and have got contracts over us.

I know I started talking about myself in this thread but there is more in this the same boat as me.

The union wont do anything at all.

In our job there is no years review upgrades nothing like that.

Id say in 5 years no management as ever spoken to me Ive just come in and did my job and gone home.

I was 3 years till i got offered my first upgrade which is full hours but they can take you off it no contract is signed.

Its a upgrade only if you work that upgrade a year and a day you own that duty.

Now my question Us being the 5 6 years there staff do we have rights that staff that started after us received contracts over us.

If so can we take it legal would we have a leg to stand on ?

I think that things are run very different in the building I am working in this kind of stuff would not happen in the main head office.

I think if we went legal a bunch of staff we might just bring about change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I wonder in your case, have the two AWOLs you posted about here too come against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

I was wondering the same thing Firetrap

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Now my question Us being the 5 6 years there staff do we have rights that staff that started after us received contracts over us.

If so can we take it legal would we have a leg to stand on ?

I doubt that you have any specific legal rights here - but that's said:

1) without knowing what's in your contract, and

2) on the basis that we cannot give you legal advice here.

My finger is hovering on the "close this thread" button ... I'm leaving it for now, but remember - no legal advice ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I think you are been very unrealistic expecting an automatic right to any upgrades/increase in hours.

How have the other upgrdes occurred? Were they given to a specific dept within your job or were they given to "the boys"

However in my place of work and in agreement with the union any increase in hours available has to be advertised to all staff of that area and interviews conducted and scored etc.

Unless you can prove yo have been discriminated against in the decision process I'm afraid there is very little you can do other than put your name forward like Justmary said

Well they were in they were only in the last month in my 5 year term.

Now my job is run old school very old school and run very strangely.

Now we have a lot of managers over us working with us I in 5 years 2 officials in the job have ever spoken to me.

The guy that interviewed me to get the job and a hr manager 2 years ago I asked him what is going on if I have a perfect record why do I not have a 37 hour or 48 hour that's it Ive clocked in came to work ever day and got payed and came home.

I know that it is a recession at the moment but this is not just happening to me its affecting a lot more then just me.

Firetrap wrote: »
    I wonder in your case, have the two AWOLs you posted about here too come against you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement