Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Corsa (Old Type) 1.0 Ecotec

Options
  • 04-03-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.
    Was offered one of the above at handy money, but my mechanic had to change the engine twice in one of them before. As such, he has no time for them...which has turned me off it.
    Does anyone know anything about it/them? Are they reliable, etc.?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.0 litre engine was very problematic in them. If going for a Corsa then go with the 1.2 litre.

Personally myself I think a Fiesta of similar age is a better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

My last car was 00 Corsa 1.2

A mechanic acquaintance at the time told me to steer well clear of the 3 cylinder (1.0).

The 1.2 is a great little car. I picked up one with 82,000 miles on it. Never an ounce of bother. Traded it in with 97,000 miles on it a year later, having bombed up and down from Dublin to Cork without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks Baz.
    I'm trying to lower my motoring costs, so I don't even want to go to the 1.25 of a Fiesta!
    I'm only traveling 5 miles a day back and forth to work, with the odd long trip every few weeks. So paying roadtax for less than 50 miles a week is sickening me!
    So I'm looking at corsas, Micras, etc. Basically anything 1 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well in that case stick with a Micra or Yaris. 1.0 litre Corsa would be a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Soarer wrote: »
    Thanks Baz.
    I'm trying to lower my motoring costs, so I don't even want to go to the 1.25 of a Fiesta!
    I'm only traveling 5 miles a day back and forth to work, with the odd long trip every few weeks. So paying roadtax for less than 50 miles a week is sickening me!
    So I'm looking at corsas, Micras, etc. Basically anything 1 litre.

Don't rule out a 1.1L 206 if you can find a good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks MrDerp.

Thanks to my ol' fella, I've a thing against French cars! Reckons they're nothing but trouble.
    I don't know either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

How about a nice clean Polo 1.0L if you can find one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 knuckledragger

1 litre Corsa is an absolute chore to drive. Avoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

On the corsa B every single componant was the same on the 1.2 as on the 1.0, the only difference between the two engines was an extra cylinder so they both suffer the same problems.

Its a pot luck car, My first car was a 99 3 cylinder corsa and I put 80,000 miles on it and the only failures were the coilpack and a fuel pump. However most suffer alot more issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

MrDerp wrote: »

The P206 isn't very reliable either, and more expensive than Corsa (although prices are coming back). I'd chance a Corsa if cheap enough. Yaris is excellent but expensive. Micra very reliable but generally considered ugly. Polo is so-so for reliability. The Clio is actually quite reliable if you can stretch to 1.2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

lifer_sean wrote: »
    The Clio is actually quite reliable if you can stretch to 1.2.

Not in my experience. Worst car i ever owned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

MrDerp wrote: »

Anyone I have ever known that had/has a 206 of this vintage suffered nothing but hardship from this car. A few mechanic friends advice everyone to stay clear of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Grandparents had to drop an engine into one of these lately. Probably cost as much as the car was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just pay slightly more for a yaris

Advertisement