Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire

Options
  • 04-03-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

http://www.hertzflydrive.com/?Link=HP_Right&lang=en&POS=IE&CDP=736667

Booking car hire for the summer for the US and was surprised to find that Aer Lingus/Hertz were roughly €300 cheaper than anywhere else I could find . Hertz themselves couldn't match these prices even with the same discount code. I was told that it is some sort of prepaid web promotion.
    I haven't checked it for anywhere else so don't know if this is universal.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I carried out a BIG search (40+ websites) for a 3 week Florida car hire and Budget were the cheapest with some random promo code found on the web and payment in advance in dollars, Dodge Grand Caravan (big 7 seater) for 26 days €780.
    I think with that AL/Hertz deal there was something about large airport concession charge when you get there which when added back to the overall deal eradicated perceived savings.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

+1 for Aer Lingus/Hertz - last summer and again for this summer they gave the best price for 14 days car hire in France (July). I also checked many many different options both years. Last year, I even got a free upgrade from Hertz!

Last year, other than adding an additional driver (~€38) there were no hidden charges at pick up although I picked up at a city center Hertz office and not an airport. They will try to sell you additional insurance cover (CDW) which can be pricey. I will be picking up at an airport this year and will be not be happy if there is an additional charge.

If you do perfer to have extra Collison Damage Waiver (CDW) cover, to save even more money pre-arrange cover with a site like http://www.carhireexcess.com and decline the Hertz CDW at pickup. You can also make big savings here. Lots of sites offer this cover. Thankfully I need not need to make a claim so cannot comment on if they make it difficult etc.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

cheers for that OP, I had a car booked direct with Hertz for USD90, using that code(including the airport fee which is quoted but not paid until collection) I saved USD30, thats 30%!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I think with that AL/Hertz deal there was something about large airport concession charge when you get there which when added back to the overall deal eradicated perceived savings.[/QUOTE]

What makes you think that ?

When booking you get this

Total due now to secure booking*:€438.52*This price includes rental, tax, location service charge, vehicle licence/registration fee, colision damage waiver and theft protection

I think you are trying to convince/console yourself you managed to get the best deal

I cannot comment on quotes from different countries but I've checked back now on the file I used to track the various quotes and for Orlando Intl. Airport there is a $230.29 airport concession fee to be paid locally at the counter upon pickup which is NOT included in your immediate payment/front page quote under the AL/Hertz deal. When I add the $230.29 to the perceived cheaper AL/Hertz quote a number of other sites were cheaper.
    My post was specific to Florida and such a fee may not exist elsewhere however I felt the post was worthy because Florida is such a popular destination and folk may not notice the extra fee if taking up the AL/Hertz deal.
    galait wrote: »
    I think you are trying to convince/console yourself you managed to get the best deal
    Not at all my intention, but I'd prefer if you critique my post rather than misanalyse me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I just went on travelsupermarket and compared prices with the hertz ones and travelsupermarket are much better priced. (for a 3 week trip to the states next month)

Methinks you didn't get as good a deal as you thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I just went on travelsupermarket and compared prices with the hertz ones and travelsupermarket are much better priced. (for a 3 week trip to the states next month)

Me thinks you didn't get as good a deal as you thought....

Nah I just did a search on travelsupermarket too, I'm going in August and this Hertz deal is much better - that code on Hertz makes a big difference to me - especially over 17 days! Works out at 1066 Euro for SUV - its 1225 without the code. My trip is one way that's why its this price in case your wondering.

Any idea when this expires? Need some time to get the deposit together...

Try budget car rental and use offer code H024000 and select the 'pay in advance' option

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

slave1 wrote: »
    Try budget car rental and use offer code H024000 and select the 'pay in advance' option

What budget site are you using (budget.com?) I can put in the discount code but when I go through I can't see any pay in advance option - when does that come up? Also while it looks cheap initially they add a hell of a lot for the insurances. I also tried budget.ie but I can't even put in a discount code there. Any help welcome. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread but would like travellers advice on booking a car for Italy at Easter from Rome. Want to get an Alfa Romeo 159 or the new Guillietta or Mito as it is a special ocassion, any thoughts on rental companies, discout codes and how to ensure one gets what one wants?

was thinking of a few days rental then looking at local but reckon doing car rental once is enough.

• Advertisement

walshki wrote: »
    What budget site are you using (budget.com?) I can put in the discount code but when I go through I can't see any pay in advance option - when does that come up? Also while it looks cheap initially they add a hell of a lot for the insurances. I also tried budget.ie but I can't even put in a discount code there. Any help welcome. Thanks

Budget.com, on step 2 of 4, at the top of the page just below where you can select currency there is a 'your rate options' section and in here you can click on 'pay now (you may save)'. For my rental all insurances were included so perhaps different regions have variants of what's included in the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

i have used these and have found them to be the cheapest.

http://www.autoeurope.ie

also if book trough cash back site you get up to 9% back ( takes about 1 to 2 months to comeback trough) i dont give my bank details i just get payed into a paypal account. there 3 to 4 different sites in ireland. here is one below

http://www.bethrifty.ie/Car-Rental

• Registered Users Posts: 3 olenjim

hi, did you have to leave a security deposit (minimum: excess+fuel+vat) blocked on your credit card?

Advertisement