Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cocker spaniel behaviour

Options
  • 04-03-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

hi all

I have 2 cocker spaniels bot 1 year old from different litter. thay are best friends, really are inseperable but one (Roux) would not leave Maxi when she has a treat or a bone. even I am not allowed near her. she has never bitten but I can see that she is not fully relaxed when chewing on a treat

She also likes to make herslef comfy on the floor in the bedroom (my side of the bed) and sometimes wont let Maxi get too close to her.

This morning she was on the floor near my bed and I was petting her. suddenly I wanted to move her and she was getting kranky but didnt show her teeth or bite. I made her move immediately.

Do you think I should be worry about this dog or is it all about me ? I do admit that I probably give her too much attention and shoud probably show her more than I AM THE BOSS
    the other one is completely placid.

when Roux is not in that kind of mood, she is the most relaxed and loving dog. should I be worried? she is such a gentle dog 99% of the time but recently I have noticed that she is trying to control things a bit ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

one answer.... yes you should tackle this issue now!

cockers are food lovers.. my dog would sell his soul (and mine for that matter) for food...

You need to teach her its ok for people to be around whgen she has her food / bones etc...

Here's what i did with my guy from day one....

Every time we would feed him we would make him sit, and stay... we would put his bowl down.. and make him wait until we said it is ok to go.... then after a few mins... we would say sit again... when he's half way through, we ould take his bowl up... and pout it back down after a few mins... this is letting him know food is not scarce.. thats its ok for someone to take his bowl as his will still get food. etc... we did this everday for months... now he has no issues with anyone taking his food or bone etc... as he know he will get them back etc...

i know this sounds stupid (and crazy).. but sometimes we would take some of his nuts from his bowl... and prtetend to eat them... he would watch us like a hawlk... we would be like "yum yum etc".. then we would put some nuts back... etc... so again he thinks no one is "going to steal his food" - sounds mad but it worked....

do the same with a bone... make her drop it... then take it up... when she good give it back to here and praise her... after awhile she will get the message...

if she growls etc.... let out a LOUD "NO"... take the bone and DONT give it back.... she has to learn this behaviour is not acceptable... when your other dog is good etc reward her etc....

cockers are quick learners after a few days she will get the message...

also dont give her more attention than your other dog.... she is showing slight dominance etc... she needs to know both dogs are equal...

you must be cosistent and do this over a period of weeks... dogs thrive on routines etc...

Best of luck!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I have a similar issue but my two are westies. bottom line when it comes to dogs is there is always a pecking order and you need to ensure you are number one. the dogs will sort themselves out - there will always be a more dominant one. as long as there is no aggression (ie biting) they will be fine. i have a female westie who is four and i've haad her since she was a puppy, she's a very placid little dog. my male westie is one and i've had him for four months, he is a rescue and hadnt had a lot of training before i got him. he bullied my female dog and at the start he bit her a few times, anything she had he just took it off her. i nearly gave him back! i've worked hard on training him and his transformation is amazing. he has his moments till but he knows whose boss and the two of them get on great now 95% of the time. exercise is a big thing as i find he is much less likely to behave badly when walked. (i walk them everyday but there is the odd day when the weathers too bad before i get told off on this one) dont worry about spoiling them - i spoil mine rotten - just make sure its always for good behaviour and never reward bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hi you you both

thanks for your valuable advice. cocker5 I knew you'd reply quickly :D

feeding time: I make them sit and wait then put the food down, then wait another while and they will not start eating until I say "take it"

we probably need to do the same with the bone although when she has it I would kind of be nervous to take it of her, the way she's looking at me and growls (but not showing theeth)

when she's eating her nuts I can go near her and give her a scratch she doesnt mind that but I never tried to take it off her. she wont let maxi near her at all when eating but Maxi now got the message and doesnt go near her anymore (cos Maxi vaccums her food so fast she;s always finishd her and within seconds) :D

yes these dogs seem to be be very greedy when it comes to food.

when she is on my side of the bed and I want to move her, if she growls, do you think that there is any chance at all she could bite me? could this behavior be changed or is she gonna be kranky for life ?

when no food is involved or my side of the bed, she is the most relaxed, loving, loyal dog. very very easy going and eager to please me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

hi falabo

it sounds to me like they'll be fine, my fella can be a bit cranky too if i try to move him or get him to do anything he doesnt want to! even if i hug him and hes not in the mood he can growl at me! i just get the feeling though, that hes only giving out and i never feel that he would bite me. when he does do that i just be firm with him, and let him know i'm not afraid. ie just continue with what you're doing.

i know westies are not cockers but i think most behaviours are across the board. it sounds like you're doing all the right things and they sound like great dogs. i'm going to apply some of your methods to mine as well!

hi falabo,

Sounds like she is "Food Guarding" - please , please dont let this continue... another poster said it will be fine (not disprespect to other poster).. but NO its not fine for a dog to growl.... i would NEVER accept that from my cocker... but its a learned behaviour and can be "undone" if not you will spend years wtaching your dog expecially when children etc are around... food agression is not acceptable... she will eventaully attack your other dog / children overs bones.. and if thats happens its a little too late...

she sounds ok with her nuts etc... so its sounds like its just bones and treats where she gets cranky.... firstly dont let her have treats / bones on your bed... thsu giving her no reasons to growl etc...

when she growls if you go to take her bone... ie shows no teeth... she is waring you to stay away... whe she shows her teeth then she means business... firstly try the LOUD "NO" or "AHHH AHHH" and mean it ....dogs follow tone of voice more than anything... if she stops... take it and praise her... maybe give her a small treat like cheese etc.. do this over and over again...

if she doesnt listen and growls showing teeth.... then i would do some distraction... ie a loud noise... ie a bottle filled with small rocks etc....

here's something that might help:

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/resource-guarding/

dont worry too much you can stort this out... but please dont let it go.... start now and after a few weeks the growling will be a memory :D

Growling... even if your dog is cranky is NOT acceptable.... when my cocker is cranky and in the sitting room ...he may cry to be let into the kitchen where he is bed etc... or if i hug him or something he may pull away and get down off the couch etc....if he's not in the mood... but NEVER growl.... unless a dog is scared or in pain.... theres no other acceptable reason for growling IMO....

sorry also meant to add... if she growls on your bed where no food is involved... i would push her off the bed.. simple as.. now i wouldnt hurt her or anything but with my leg under the covers id push her off.... she will soon learn bad behaviour gets bad results for her...

hope the attached article helps :)

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention: it seems to be with me only this behavior and when maxi is aorund ...

I dont know if I would feel confident enough to approach her and take the bone off so starting this training could be a problem.

I do most of the walkign and feeding, is this why she behaves like that with me? she seems over protective of me

falabo wrote: »
    I forgot to mention: it seems to be with me only this behavior and when maxi is aorund ...

I dont know if I would feel confident enough to approach her and take the bone off so starting this training could be a problem.

I do most of the walkign and feeding, is this why she behaves like that with me? she seems over protective of me

I know how you feel.. but you are her owner... its up to you to step up and let her know that this isnt acceptable... dogs can sense fear... if you show fear she wont get any better... she's more than likely jealous of your other dog and wants you all the herself.. but you must stop this now... or else in a few years she may bite your other dog if you go near her... or if you pet her etc...

You are her owner and should not be afraid of her.... this is probably alot of the reasons why she is behaving like this... by letting her keep her bone or stay on you bed after she growls... you are rewarding BAD behaviour etc.... you are giving her signals thats its ok to growl etc and you will leave her alone with her bone.. or let her stay on your bed... you are the human... and her owner.. not the other way around... :D

You need to start training her now she is already one... yes it will be hard but you will be delighted and will reap the benefits when this beahviour is gone...

:o

hi cocker5

you seem to know so much about cocker spaniels and training and I would really love to discuss a few things with you, would you mind sending me your number through PM and would you be ok to have a chat ;)

cocker5, she is not staying on my bed but on the floor next to it, usually on clothes if I leave them hanging around :D

I would never let my dogs get up on the beds. I dont think she is "jealous" of Maxi. they are BEST FRIENDS 99% OF THE TIME AND THEY JUST PLAY PLAY AND PLAY TOGETHER :-)
    the only think is the growling when on my side of the bed or has a bone. I will probably stop giving them bone altogether anyway and maybe she shouldnt be in my room at all even for a few minutes (she sleeps on the couch in the sitting room)

falabo wrote: »
    hi cocker5

you seem to know so much about cocker spaniels and training and I would really love to discuss a few things with you, would you mind sending me your number through PM and would you be ok to have a chat ;)

Of course.. Ill PM you later this afternoon with my number :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement