Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please! US Beers.

Options
  • 04-03-2011 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Right so I'll be in New York for Paddys Day and I REALLY want to steer clear of the American beers cos they're pish (Bud, Coors [ok that's 'Canadian' but still], etc).

Has anyone got any ideas on good brews to try out while over there?

My usual tipples of choice are:

- Stouts from the porter house.
    - Brain Blasta (porter house again!).
    - Aventinus\Paulaner\Erdinger\Hoegaarden.

I know there's probably a snowballs chance in hell that I'll get any dunkel\wheat beers (especially German) over there.

Any\all suggestions welcome as I'd give anything a try (careful now!).

Thanks a mil.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada. Not sure how widely available it is in New York though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Some ones I've been drinking recently:

Sierra Nevada
    Goose Island
    Anchor Steam
    Flying Dog
    Boston Lager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Most good beers covered above also if you like stouts in a hoppy way look for :

Speakeasy Brewery
    Odell Brewing company

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

chin_grin wrote: »
    Right so I'll be in New York for Paddys Day and I REALLY want to steer clear of the American beers cos they're pish (Bud, Coors [ok that's 'Canadian' but still], etc).

Has anyone got any ideas on good brews to try out while over there?

My usual tipples of choice are:

- Stouts from the porter house.
    - Brain Blasta (porter house again!).
    - Aventinus\Paulaner\Erdinger\Hoegaarden.

I know there's probably a snowballs chance in hell that I'll get any dunkel\wheat beers (especially German) over there.

Any\all suggestions welcome as I'd give anything a try (careful now!).

Thanks a mil.

You're very wrong about American beers, you'll be happy to hear.

When I went to New York last summer, nearly every bar had microbrews on tap, and there were loads of bars with literally dozens of beers from around the world on sale. Even saw Porterhouse beers in one bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Blisterman wrote: »
    You're very wrong about American beers, you'll be happy to hear.

When I went to New York last summer, nearly every bar had microbrews on tap, and there were loads of bars with literally dozens of beers from around the world on sale. Even saw Porterhouse beers in one bar.

Yeah see I thought my post in the vain of : "lil' big-eyed Oirish feller in the big city, la". :D

Was just curious as to what people would suggest based on mine. And would like to broaden the palate a bit.

Thanks a mil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Blisterman wrote: »
    Even saw Porterhouse beers in one bar.

They now have a Porterhouse bar in Manhattan.

noby wrote: »
    They now have a Porterhouse bar in Manhattan.

Bit of a bus-mans holiday..............Still probably won't stop me from going in. I do try to steer clear of any\all Irish bars while on holiday. Anywhere! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Right there in New York you have Sam Adams and Brooklyn Brewery. Both of which send some of their fine beers to Ireland. They are just the better known ones.

Oh just one thing... Coors is not Canadian, they are from the largest beer producing state of them all.... Colorado.

Enjoy America, probably my favourite beer producing country of them all.

Saruman wrote: »
    Oh just one thing... Coors is not Canadian, they are from the largest beer producing state of them all.... Colorado.

Enjoy America, probably my favourite beer producing country of them all.

:eek:

New thing learned today! Although in all fairness I should've really googled it before posting. <facepalm>

In fairness, it is not completely black and white as what we know of as Coors these days is actually Molson-Coors (they merged a few years ago) and Molson was in fact Canadian so it is an easy mistake to think Coors is Canadian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dogfish Head is beautiful:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Look out for the Captain Lawrence beers: they're from Pleasantville just north of NYC, and what I've tasted has been good.

Schmaltz are another great New York brewery, they make the Coney Island and He'brew ranges.

Manhattan bars to hit for decent beer include Blind Tiger (281 Bleecker Street), McSorley's (15 East 7th Street), Against the Grain (620 East 6th Street) and The Gingerman (11 East 36th Street).

BeerNut wrote: »
    Against the Grain (620 East 6th Street) and The Gingerman (11 East 36th Street).

Hmmm.... :)

Saruman wrote: »
    Hmmm.... :)

.................they're gay bars aren't they? :p

EDIT: Not that I have anything against homosexuals or insinuating that the previous poster is......Never mind.

they're gay bars aren't they?
    In the sense used by Brendan Glesson in In Bruges, perhaps.

.................they're gay bars aren't they? :p

EDIT: Not that I have anything against homosexuals or insinuating that the previous poster is......Never mind.

No I was just struck by the fact that two recommended New York bars for beer share the same name with two Dublin beer bars recommended for craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Michelob is a lovely beer and one which I shall relish drinking in vast quantites on my hols in NY later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was in NY in March 2009 and I was in a bar up around 50th and 9th

Great Bar with such a wide range of beers, but for the life of me I can't think of the name of it.

Any of the yellow pins here ring a bell?

Any of the yellow pins here ring a bell?
    Excellent!

99.9% sure it was House of Brews

It was definitely in the middle of the street and I seem to remember it having Beer or Brew in the name so I reckon that's the one. It was quite a sketchy night tbh as I got through quite a lot of local brews. :/ I remember also being quite surprised at how young the crowd were. Real hopping lively place.

• Advertisement

Look at this for cruel irony though. The truck that happens to block the Google Street view of their premises on 51st Street

It happens. Here's the Gunmaker's, one of London's best pubs:
    Image.

It happens. Here's the Gunmaker's, one of London's best pubs:
    Image.
    Yeah but at least it's not a Bud Light van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

... I REALLY want to steer clear of the American beers cos they're pish (Bud, Coors [ok that's 'Canadian' but still], etc).

Doesn't Guinness brew Budweiser in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Yeung Ling ( i think thats how its spelled)
    Brooklyn Lager
    Anchor Steam
    Sam Adams

As good as anything you'll get in Europe.

And all sold in Dublin, except Yuengling.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Pity i live 120km away :(

Sammy & Brooklyn are all i can get here. One place sold Sierra for all of one week and then replaced it with more Bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scrotty

Might not be everyones cup of tea but Pabst blue ribbon is good for the thirst.

scrotty wrote: »
    Might not be everyones cup of tea but Pabst blue ribbon is good for the thirst.

Sorry for digging up my ol' thread. (Also thanks a mil for all the suggestions, it was very [hic] much appreciated!).

But just in relation to Pabst, is there anywhere in Dublin I can get this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

blue moon

one of my favs

Advertisement