Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving iPhoto 11 library to a new Mac

Options
  • 04-03-2011 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I've just received my new MacBook Pro (to replace my 1st gen MacBook!). I went through setup as normal and chose to move all my files later using the Migration Assisstant.

However, when I connect my time machine backup disk to the new MacBook, open the Migration Assissant and select just pictures to move across it tells me that it can't copy the files because it can't create a new user account with the same name as the account already setup on the new Mac. It then wants me to enter a new account name to be setup (where the photos will be copied to).

Does anyone know how to get around this? I thought of just dragging the "originals" folder in the Time Machine iphoto library into iphoto, but then I would lose all my modified photos (and there's also another fodler called "masters" whose contents look similar to the originals folder).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

If you want to do it manually you could just copy the iphoto library to new mac

Otherwise if using Migration assistant you would have to give it a new name for user account, unless you erase and install new mac and select to transfer/migrate before putting in user info.

Copying ~/pictures/iphoto library/ manually would be the easiest option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

brav wrote: »
    If you want to do it manually you could just copy the iphoto library to new mac

Otherwise if using Migration assistant you would have to give it a new name for user account, unless you erase and install new mac and select to transfer/migrate before putting in user info.

Copying ~/pictures/iphoto library/ manually would be the easiest option

Thanks. I was thinking of doing that. So I can simply delete the iPhoto Library "package" that's on the new Mac (it's empty anyway), replace it with the backed up Library package and just startup iPhoto as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

yep as long as new mac has same or newer version of iphoto

brav wrote: »
    yep as long as new mac has same or newer version of iphoto

Cool! Thanks.

That worked. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement