Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating GPA

Options
  • 04-03-2011 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to calculate your GPA? From looking on the internet there seems to be all sorts of different methods depending on what you're studying and where :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Anyway....for those that are interested, I used the information on the following thread (2nd post down) to calculate my GPA:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055266863

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to calculate your GPA? From looking on the internet there seems to be all sorts of different methods depending on what you're studying and where :confused:
    ehh WIT doesnt use GPA

I know, but when you are applying for certain jobs online, particularly for American companies they'll ask you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I know, but when you are applying for certain jobs online, particularly for American companies they'll ask you for it.
    americans use a 4.0 GPA scale, aussies use a diff one there are translators around the place, they basically translate your % into a GPA, exact same way its done in america, schools dont give a GPA for each exam, they give a %, and then the over all % is turned into a cGPA (cumulative GPA)

slide15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kehoejck

So if your on an average of 87% in final year, my GPA would be 3.3/4, correct?

• Advertisement

Actually just happened to look in here again by chance and noticed the new post. WIT has it's own grading convention which can be seen here:

http://www.wit.ie/exams/GradingConventions/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kehoejck

Thanks for that, so GPA is calculated out of max of 4?

A = 4.00 grade points
    A- = 3.70 grade points
    B = 3.00 grade points
    B+ = 3.33 grade points
    B- = 2.70 grade points
    C = 2.00 grade points
    C+ = 2.30 grade point
    C- = 1.70 grade points
    D = 1.00 grade points
    D+ = 1.30 grade points
    D- = 0.70 grade points

Found that online, isint that not it? WIT one is not as detailed and will give different results!

GPA is out of a max of 4. The WIT one is different from the other one, but if you're a WIT student that's the one to use. At the end of the day if you put it down on your CV and someone calls you on it, you can point them back to the WIT website. It's not unusual for Colleges to calculate GPA differently, as can be seen from the differences in the UCD one I posted originally, the one that Imported_Guy posted, and the new WIT one I posted yesterday.

Advertisement