Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla based web-site design, opinions appreciated

Options
  • 04-03-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a newbie when it comes to web-design so i was hoping to get some opinions.

I'm in the process of setting up a site using joomla 1.5 as my basis.
    I was hoping to install joomla on my domain and linking this to seperate joomla installations (with extensions) on sub-domains.

Therefore i could have a joomla download ext. on my downloads.mysite.com sub-domain,
    a joomla quiz ext. on my quiz.mysite.com sub-domain etc etc...

I was also hoping to set up a blog.mysite.com sub-domain also.

Will there be any issues with multiple joomla installations.

I was hoping to use sub-domains for each part of the site, and have links to these from the main domain which visitors would visit first....

Am I barking up the wrong tree??!! Should i be installing these seperate joomla installations on sub-directories instead.

Is there any issues to be aware if installing multiple joomla installations...

I'm new to this and it's a hobby so go easy on me!!

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭cjpm

C'mon guys 40 views and no opinions given yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would have thought that one instance of Joomla is enough. Whatever pages you create irrespective of whether it's sub-domain or not will use this Joomla installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I would have thought that one instance of Joomla is enough. Whatever pages you create irrespective of whether it's sub-domain or not will use this Joomla installation.
    They won't. You would need Joomla installed in each subdirectory.

There is a 'multi-sites' extension that will do what you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its possible to do that but why?:confused:

You will need all separate databases, each Joomla install will have separate administrator logins and all will have different front pages. Joomla is pretty powerful on its own, what is it that you want to do that you require all different installations.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Its possible to do that but why?:confused:

You will need all separate databases, each Joomla install will have separate administrator logins and all will have different front pages. Joomla is pretty powerful on its own, what is it that you want to do that you require all different installations.
    He wants subdomains. This means multiple Joomla installs unless he uses the extension I linked to above.

Multiple Joomla installs can be run off the one database.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    He wants subdomains. This means multiple Joomla installs unless he uses the extension I linked to above.

Multiple Joomla installs can be run off the one database.

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

I was hoping that to put a general Joomla page on the domain with links to the sub domains, each of which is running a joomla extension of it's own.

Basically I think that i need to have more or less a seperate site for all of my various joomla extensions. Each one will perform it's own task and there is no need to have them fully interlinked.

I looked at the multi sites link listed and it seems way out of my league.

Is it possible to run multiple extensions on a single joomla site?? That is my other option....

The biggest advantage to seperate installs is that it would be easy to do on cPanel, i don't mind if each need their own database.

If i had the Joomla's set up it's easy to sort out an extension for each one of them. Plus if something goes wrong it would be easier if I was dealing with individual sub-domains.

I will only have 3 or 4 so it would be relatively easy to ensure that i keep the same theme on each of them....

cjpm wrote: »
    I think that i need to have more or less a seperate site for all of my various joomla extensions.

Is it possible to run multiple extensions on a single joomla site?? That is my other option....
    You can install as many extensions as you like on the one Joomla core.

Scotty # wrote: »
    You can install as many extensions as you like on the one Joomla core.

Excellent that's exactly what i need. Is it possible to locate these on individual directories like

mysite.com/downloads

or

mysite.com/quiz

because if i could it would be very easy for visitors to navigate to the correct page without going into the homepage.

cjpm wrote: »
    Excellent that's exactly what i need. Is it possible to locate these on individual directories like

mysite.com/downloads

or

mysite.com/quiz

because if i could it would be very easy for visitors to navigate to the correct page without going into the homepage.

Well... joomla like all PHP based CMS will generate a url like... index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=5

You can turn on SEO friendly URL's in the config settings but there are better SEO extensions available. You would then create a 'menu item' (eg.Quiz) which would have the URL mysite.com/quiz adn this menu item would point to whatever component you want on that page. It sounds more complicated than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

why not just setup URL redirects through your hosting cPanel?

ie.

blogs.yoursite.com links to yoursite.com/blog.php?blahblah=1

and so on?

then you only need one installation...

• Advertisement
Advertisement