Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Picasso engine fan stays on when engine is off

Options
  • 04-03-2011 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a frequent intermittant problem with my 2004 1.6 HDI Picasso. Recently the cooling fan has cut in after the engine has been turned off. While this is normal, it should only run for a half a minute or so, but with me it can run for up to 20 minutes until I get sick of listening to it and disconect the battery for a minute. This seems to reset everything and the issue wil go away for a day or 2. Problem can occur after long or short journeys. The engine temp on the dash stays low while the fan is running.

Citreon garage don't have any answers. They thought it might have been a computer problem and dumped/reloaded the citreon software.

Any ideas what it could be??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

could be no coolant or low causing the fan to work overtime? check the coolant.

perhaps faulty temp relay.
    strange they couldn't diagnose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

If your Picasso has a diesel particulate filter and you shut it down when it is regenerating, the fans will run on for a while after you switch off in order to dissipate the additional heat the will have built up by the regeneration.

Would your car have around 60 -70kmiles on it by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Longed

congo_90 wrote: »
    could be no coolant or low causing the fan to work overtime? check the coolant.

perhaps faulty temp relay.
    strange they couldn't diagnose it.

The coolant was checked. And garage said that temp probe is the same one the gives reading to ending twmp on dash, and as this temp was low then it wasn't the probe.

shamwari wrote: »
    If your Picasso has a diesel particulate filter and you shut it down when it is regenerating, the fans will run on for a while after you switch off in order to dissipate the additional heat the will have built up by the regeneration.

Would your car have around 60 -70kmiles on it by any chance?

I'll ask about the particualte filter. The car has 70K on the clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Longed wrote: »
    I'll ask about the particualte filter. The car has 70K on the clock

DPF's are close to the end of their lives around this mileage. It could be the case the engine is regenerating the DPF more frequently to maintain its efficiency, and this is why the fans are running that bit more - especially if the car does a lot of stop / start driving or short runs.

• Advertisement

Issue has not re-occurred in 2 weeks since I last disconnected the battery. Even though it has been an issue for 2 month up till then.

Car going for service soon. I'll take all your comments to garage.

Cheers

Advertisement