Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the pain of a tattoo put you off?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering are there many people who really want a tattoo or piercing but won't go through with it because of fear of the pain? :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Nope, a few minutes/hours of pain for something you will have on your body for life is worth it i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭redbug

Melion wrote: »
    Nope, a few minutes/hours of pain for something you will have on your body for life is worth it i think

Did you find it painful in any way? or did you just get used to it after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

before i got mine i did what you are doing now. i asked loads of people and got varying responses from "it hurt like hell" to "i nearly fell asleep whilst it was being done" and i hyped up the pain in my own mind. if your pain threshold is, to you anyway, fairly high then just go for it.

i think by far the worst thing was the buzz off the needle more so than the pain of it. but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not in the slightest, now this might make me seem a bit bad but I actually enjoy the feeling of getting inked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i remember i got my first one at 18. i have the CRAPPIEST pain threshold known to man. i cried when i got my ears pierced (but not my eyebrow or tongue!!!! or lip [more recent]) and therefore was scared ****less!!

and of course i chose a tattoo that was pure lines for my first piece, on the inside of my wrist. maddeningly though it barely hurt. it was a smidge uncomfortable in places but not sore.

didn't get my next one til april of last yr. got a large one on my right calf. again a little irritating in places but no more.

two months later i got a big piece on my left foot and going upward. took two plus hours (i think). generally wasn't sore, altho towards the end when the artist was putting the white on the bit by my big toe i was kinda thinking please be over already. but i put that down to location. and it didn't put me off.

a month later i was back and got another on my left arm!! no pain.

two months later one on my right arm. no pain.

then early this year another on the back of my neck. just the irritation!

i have two more planned. one is a 400 euro + piece that is huge so lots of savings. the other i don't have a clue of size or cost. it is four lines of script. still trying to work out the finer details!

i would say don't psyche yourself out too much. it is worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

it puts me off.

I do get tattooed, but it is a ****ing ordeal. I shake beforehand, I whimper during. I am out of commision for 3 days afterwards. The guy I travel and get tattooed with knows to expect it and is no better himself.

but, for all that, I am still able to do it. again and again. so can you - if that is what you really want. anyone can, with the right midset. I hate getting tattooed, and the last sit was seven hours. it is do-able.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It hurts a bit, but it's nothing that puts me off. A few moments of discomfort but that's about it. Depends on location too. After getting my foot tattooed I'd be a bit hesitant to get the other one done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

redbug wrote: »
    Did you find it painful in any way? or did you just get used to it after a while

It all depends on where you are getting tattooed. Ive been through 12 sittings in various places, my last session on my inner bicep was the only time ive shouted in pain. The back of my right calf was very easy, i nodded off while i was laying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

The first 1minute of the needle on your skin is sore, but not because its painful, just because all of what you have heard is spilling out into fear. Once you realize that all the bad stories or fears you have are nothing but stupid hesitations you will actually feel oddly happy.

My first tattoo was down the center of my spine, now i was told that on bone it kills but it actually felt relieving. I suppose some people are more sensitive to pain but all the people i know and myself agree that getting a tattoo is a great feeling and one to which is strangely addictive.

Fear not the needle but the hand that sows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

the pain doesnt put me off ,

its great to be honest , the experience , and the art your gona have on your body for life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

The pain dosent put me off (I like it actually ha just hate the healing, pain in the arse) afterall if there wasnt any pain everybody would have them and I dont want to be the same as everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

I got mine on my back with a bit of work on my spine, not painful:) I was buzzing afterwards! Planning my next one already so just saving for it, can't wait to go back:D I was worried about the pain at the start but I think we make it seem worse than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Nah, most of my tattoos haven't hurt too much, the one I'm getting at the moment is probably the most painful of the lot, but still bearable. It's deffo worth it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

When i was waiting to get my right arm done (My left arm was hand poked so i didnt know what to expect) i was in an awful state. By the time it was my turn too get worked on i was in a ball of sweat, shaking and generally sh1tting it.

Within seconds of the artist starting all my preconceived worries were gone, and to be honest i felt like a bit of a fool for getting so worked up before hand.
    On my second session i did feel some pain when a spot that had developed on my arm was tattooed over but it was only a few seconds worth.

From my experience getting tattooed isnt painful (besides the one spot), its annoying and not the most comfortable sensation in the world but really is a case of getting in the right frame of mind before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i find it more irritating than painful, I've had both my feet done one has a lot more detail in it and i was starting to wince and squirm near the end. But it was worth it I love my tattoo's and I'd love to get more.
    Healing is a pain though (don't do a 9hr shift after a foot tattoo it will swell ouch:()

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

I've just spent €350 on flights and accommodation to go get a tattoo in Copenhagen in a few months. Now that's painful.

Thanks for the replies!! How long did the healing take?

I've just spent €350 on flights and accommodation to go get a tattoo in Copenhagen in a few months. Now that's painful.

who you going to?

yay!

I on my fourth trip over to Eckel now! He is such a lovely human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I flew to Bangkok to get Jimmy Wong to tattoo me. He's the lad who tattooed most of the GIs on R+R during the Vietnam war. Legend. The flight cost a fortune and he stuck the arm in, both financially and with the needle (he's not as young as he used to be.)
    Flew abroad again to get a backpiece from another artist. Was a holiday too so I didn't mind the cost of the flight. Three hours of line work on the spine was probably about where my pain threshold limit stands, I discovered. The last 15 minutes hurt more than the first two and a half hours combined.
    For the average person considering a first tat, thinking of something small, maybe a graphic or a bit of text, few square inches or so at most, pain shouldn't be a consideration.
    Yes, it will be an unusual sensation. It will be sort of uncomfortable. But it's easily manageable.

yay!

I on my fourth trip over to Eckel now! He is such a lovely human being.

Haha. Good to know :)

The reason why I ask is "if the pain would put someone off having a tattoo" is that I have an idea of a treatment that can give 100% SAFE pain relief, ,I don't want to say what it is as I need to test it out first and may need a guinea pig, if anyone is willing? if you are interested pm and I will explain more

The reason why I ask is "if the pain would put someone off having a tattoo" is that I have an idea of a treatment that can give 100% SAFE pain relief, ,I don't want to say what it is as I need to test it out first and may need a guinea pig, if anyone is willing? if you are interested pm and I will explain more

this might sound a bit odd but I think for many people the pain is part of it, some people enjoy it, some people see it as, a kind of endurance test, having the tattoo is, amongst other things, proof they can handle pain :)

dearg lady wrote: »
    this might sound a bit odd but I think for many people the pain is part of it, some people enjoy it, some people see it as, a kind of endurance test, having the tattoo is, amongst other things, proof they can handle pain :)
    no it doesn't sound odd! I was actually wondering if people like the pain, but for a big piece of work, the pain may be too much :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deblen

Hi,

Just wondering are there many people who really want a tattoo or piercing but won't go through with it because of fear of the pain? :confused:
    of course there will be pain....but dont be a wuss....no pain, no gain.....if u havent experienced pain....u havnt experienced real life! :)

no it doesn't sound odd! I was actually wondering if people like the pain, but for a big piece of work, the pain may be too much :-)

yeah, probably so!! I do find it get's a bit much after a while! it's one of those things that's different strokes for different folks, I'm not keen on the pain, but don't mind too much, some people hate it, some people love it! I honestly don't know if I'd use a pain relief, but I'd lean towards no...though I'm not sure why! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

unless it's local anesthetic it wont work also marketing/advertising isn't allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

i've had about 30 hours of tattooing done. the one on my shin was sore but got threw it, on my elbow was a bitch and inner bicep hurt, but it was great, as someone said if you haven't felt pain before you ain't alive. a few hours tattooing and pain is good then to have art on your body priceless. already planning 2 more on my inside calf and between my neather region and my belly button should be fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 GreenFaery

Defo more irritating than sore. I'm only afraid of getting tattoos in certain places (on my body, I mean).

I found the ones on my forearms and leg to be completely comfortable. Actually I didn't really feel the needle at all!

Advertisement