Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moped advice

Options
  • 03-03-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I'm considering getting myself a moped cos basically I'm getting too lazy to cycle to work!
    Its not worth it for me to go the full hog and get a A provisional cos I have my B licence since before 2006 so I can add M for nothing apparently, and avoid all the theory tests/IBT time and money draining exercises! At least not at the moment, I can always move up the bike ladder later.

So my question is can you guys recommend any 50cc mopeds (max 45kph for M Licence restriction) or recommend the ones I should avoid.

this seems good value (perhaps for a reason?):
    http://www.keeway.ie/Hurricane50.html seen 09 one on donedeal for about €700

plenty of options on donedeal:
    e.g. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1756140
    or
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1873201

would like to get one thats at most couple of years old and buget around €1000 +- couple of hundred.
    Don't want to spend too much, I would be keeping it out front of the house cos I live in terraced house so not sure will it last without being nicked :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd go with the Peugeot of the ones you've listed there and by a mile! Steer well clear of Keeway or any of the Chinese brands, you would find it hard to get any spare parts and may even have difficulty getting someone to service it for you.

Also, I'd seriously recommend going with the IBT, just so you can get the A learner permit. Limiting yourself to 45km/hr is more dangerous imo as you won't be able to keep up with traffic and will have to stick to the kerb like a cyclist. This will cause motorists to overtake without leaving much room and motorists won't be expecting something moving that fast in that position when turning right or at junctions etc...

Any 2nd hand 50cc moped you find will be capable of well more than 45km/hr as it's only about €30 to get the restrictors taken off when they're new so you'd have to get the restrictor put back in so you were complying with your licence.

You should get a decent 50cc scoot for €800 no problem, get it restricted to 45km/hr then do your IBT on it and sit your A theory test then once you get the learner permit, remove the restrictor.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Think about your route, a 50cc is great for lots of things but if there are hills or roads which move above 50km/h you'll be uncomfortable and have drivers up your ass.

Used to own a Honda Lead 100cc. Fanstastic little scooter, there are loads of them around if you want to look out for a second hand scooter

Leaving outside your terraced house, get a bike cover. Keep the rain off and prying eyes too.
    Won't stop the determined little runts but it's something extra

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stephenr92

keeway scooters arent to bad altogether i had a f-act 50 and it was very cheap to run and it was very economical just dont go near the speed there a pile of **** nothin but problems i have it now and it,s problem after problem, but as for there scooters there grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

stephenr92 wrote: »
    keeway scooters arent to bad altogether i had a f-act 50 and it was very cheap to run and it was very economical just dont go near the speed there a pile of **** nothin but problems i have it now and it,s problem after problem, but as for there scooters there grand
    How long did you have it for? Mileage? Did you find it easy to get parts for or for people to service it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'd go with the Peugeot of the ones you've listed there and by a mile! Steer well clear of Keeway or any of the Chinese brands, you would find it hard to get any spare parts and may even have difficulty getting someone to service it for you.

Id much rather a keeway over a peugeot myself, peugeouts are rebadged chinese scooters aswell,as for keeway, they have a dealer network in Ireland and i know for a fact the main dealer located in gorey keeps all parts for all the models they import in stock

see: http://keeway.ie/aboutus.html

• Advertisement

i had it for a year and there was 10000 KM's on it and it was driving perfect not a problem with it my friend also had one as wel and his was perfect not a problem either if there was any problems with the scooter u can get parts for them easily they have every part available in gorey co.wexford and there not expensive either

i also forgot to mention that most dealers service them

Advertisement