Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam alert - on facebook chat

Options
  • 03-03-2011 9:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Usual 419 but I can imagine some people might fall for it...be warned...and alert your friends:

I was on facebook today and old friend popped up on chat and said hi. I asked them how they were and they said "not too good"

They explained how they were stuck in London and had no money because they had been mugged at gunpoint last night :eek:

It just didnt ring true for me, I googled it and came up with the scam so I logged off on them.

But one to watch out for!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The important message is that people should use strong passwords for their Facebook account.

What happened was that somebody was using your friends account to talk to you. This means that theu had access to their complete account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry, yes that wasn't clear in my op.

Yes my friends fb had been hacked!

Everytime he went back in to reset his password the hackers automatically changed it again - obviously some kind of worm.

He is completely locked out now and has alerted fb etc etc.

So my warning was that if a "friend" is talking to you and something does not seem right be careful they may have been hacked and you are a scam target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Ive had emails before to that effect, same scenario.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes it used to be emails but has obviously moved onto facebook chat.

Advertisement