Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood in litter tray

Options
  • 03-03-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭

Found a small amount of what looks like blood in the litter tray this evening.
    Seeing that we have three cats, it might be a bit difficult to narrow it down but one of them seems to have been licking her bum quite a bit this evening and seemed to have difficulty going to the loo earlier so I'm going to but 2 and 2 together and assume it's her.
    Obviously we'll be bringing her to the vet ASAP but they don't seem to be open until the morning to make an appointment. As a result, I'm a bit worried that she'll be ok overnight.
    Any suggestions what I can/should do? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

She most probably has cystitis. The vet will give you an antibiotic and a painkiller to help clear it up. Keep an eye on her overnight and as long as she's still able to pee, even if it hurts her, then she doesn't have a urinary blockage and it's just an inflammation.

If she becomes flat and listless, hunches into a tiny ball, growls or squeals if lifted up and is generally absolutely not herself, and will not revisit the litter tray, you may need to see the emergency vet if there's an out of hours one near you, so always worth looking that up just in case.

What's her age, is she neutered and what do you feed her?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

She's 2 and 1/2 and neutered.
    We feed her Iams Indoors in the morning and at night and then she gets some of a pouch of wet food (Felix) for dinner.

She's stretched out on the stereo at the moment and seems a bit quieter than normal. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

You will definitely need to bring her to the vet (and bring a pee sample if possible). It is most likely to be something minor and will need a short course of antibiotics but it's always best to get them to the vet asap because they can be very uncomfortable or it could potentially be something more serious.

As The Sweeper said - if she is no longer peeing or very obviously in pain, you need to contact an out of hours vet now because there could be something very serious wrong and she will need to be seen.

She's booked in to see the vet at 12.45.
    Certainly no issues with her having her breakfast this morning and she didn't struggle or yelp when I picked her up.
    However, she just seems off form.
    Anyway, I'll update once we get her there and back.

She's just back from the vet. Vet reckons it's a touch of cystitis and asked what we feed her. We told her it's a mix of wet and dry and she said that was ok and asked if she was stressed.
    We told her about the new (kitty) arrival a few months ago and said that they interact ok but the vet suggested we get a second litter tray that Annabel could use herself because cats can be quite territorial about things like that.
    She got two injections and some tablets which we have to crush into her food for a few days.
    Apart from that, the vet said she was very healthy, decent weight and her coat is in excellent condition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement